Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 Express - freezes on startup! Post 302566781 by Smokin Whale on Friday 21st of October 2011 06:16:14 AM
Old 10-21-2011
Thanks for that link. Okay I enabled verbose boot and enabled kernal error message arguments to a $kernal boot command. No different, still boots like it has been, freezes on bootup, doesn't display any error messages... I also updated my BIOS on the board incase that was the issue. No change.

Kinda getting tired of fooling around with this, might just bite the bullet and re-install... again. Sigh Smilie

---------- Post updated at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:53 PM ----------

Well here is an interesting development. On grub prompt, I can press "e" to run a command on boot. If I run "bootfs rpool/ROOT/solaris" which is the second default/suggested command, it will boot up without issue! However, if I let the system boot normally without any commands, it will freeze again. I go back to "bootfs rpool/ROOT/solaris" and it boots normally again. Can anyone explain this or give me an idea on how to make this permanent? Could it be a grub issue?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 10 freezes up while logging in.....!!!!

Hi all, I have installed Solaris along with Xp ....The installation was successful... I get the Grub menu displaying Solaris along with Win Xp....After i select Solaris the following happens, "Failed to initialize inband hotplug controller" The above message repeats three times & i get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: codewarrior
2 Replies

2. Solaris

ipfilter solaris express

Hello, | am trying to setup ipfilter on solaris express snv_91 but I don't seem to have the following file available. /etc/ipf/pfil.ap Is this an older way of configuring the interface?, I have all the packages installed. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Actuator
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 freezes at the beginning of an installation

Just as the subject says, I'm having trouble with Solaris 10 (08/05) freezing on me at the beginning of an installation. (While I'm new to Unix, I have messed around with a few versions of Linux, and I'm not unfamiliar with installing OS's on machines -- I will try to provide as much... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbyram82
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris Express or OpenIndiana

Simply question which should I use. correct me if I'm wrong but Solaris Express is taking the place of Opensolaris and is officially sanctioned by Oracle and OpenIndiana is what used to be OpenSolaris. If I opt for OpenIndiana is it going to follow the official Oracle Solaris releases or are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael78
3 Replies

5. Solaris

OpenSolaris, Solaris, Solaris Express - differences

What are the differences between these systems? I have to use Oracle's product but I do not know who to choose (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PtaQ
3 Replies

6. Solaris

In doubt to install Solaris 11 Express

Hi guys. I'm in doubt to install Solaris 11 Express or to install Solaris 10. I tried it a few months ago and that was totally disaster because Solaris 11 was slow as my granny :wall: My PC from my perspective has more than enough HW power to run Solaris 11. OS Name: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 11 Express - cannot reboot remotely

I have installed Solaris 11 Express on my machine. I have problems trying to reboot the computer remotely. When I log to the local console as the root-user and run reboot everything is fine. But when I log in remotely from a Windows machine using putty and do the same, the computer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RychnD
3 Replies
GRUB-REBOOT(8)						  System Administration Utilities					    GRUB-REBOOT(8)

NAME
grub-reboot - set the default boot entry for GRUB, for the next boot only SYNOPSIS
grub-reboot [OPTION] MENU_ENTRY DESCRIPTION
Set the default boot menu entry for GRUB, for the next boot only. -h, --help print this message and exit -V, --version print the version information and exit --boot-directory=DIR expect GRUB images under the directory DIR/grub instead of the /boot/grub directory MENU_ENTRY is a number, a menu item title or a menu item identifier. Please note that menu items in submenus or sub-submenus require speci- fying the submenu components and then the menu item component. The titles should be separated using the greater-than character (>) with no extra spaces. Depending on your shell some characters including > may need escaping. More information about this is available in the GRUB Manual in the section about the 'default' command. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub-set-default(8), grub-editenv(1) The full documentation for grub-reboot is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-reboot programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-reboot should give you access to the complete manual. grub-reboot (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-REBOOT(8)