Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mkfile -n question
Operating Systems Solaris mkfile -n question Post 302566775 by vishalaswani on Friday 21st of October 2011 05:39:00 AM
Old 10-21-2011
Thanks for the information.

Consider the below scenario.

partition 1 : 50g
partition 2 : 30g
partition 3 : 30g

Partition 2 will have disk blocks between partition 1 and 3, hence, if we remove this partition then we can create again only a partition of size 30g or lower, we cannot extend this to use the remaining 50g as that is after partition 3.

But if we delete partition 3, then things are contiguous and we can create a larger partition also.

This is how I perceive the situation, hope this helps.

Regards,
Vishal

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Well, im getting it, but i have ONE question

Hay everyone, i would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who helped me make the decision to get a linux distro. As a newbie, Im defininately considering buying Mandrake Linux... I went to the site and phew..... 2300 applications, i think ill have a good time. But i do have a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LolapaloL
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Next Question:

what is the function of swap in linux why i have to create apsolutely a particion for the swap when i install (i installed lnx4win mandrake and made an automat. disk particion and the install program one of my disk partitions that was 3gb devidet in 4 one native 700mb swap 600mb and the others i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user666
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

another question?

what happens if the script doesn't get Y,y,N, or n? Will it just loop back up and ask the question again? I tried to get mine to give me another response to tell me my input was invalid, but ran into problems with it. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question?

Is there any way to use sed and count the number of alphabetic characters in a sentence? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brentdeback
4 Replies

5. AIX

OS Question

What AIX version I need to run a software in a R6000 model 6015/6020 in a IBM P5??? Im implementing a Hot SIte. Is this possible or I need identical systems hardware and software? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IBravo
1 Replies

6. Programming

C++ little question

Hi, I am doing a C++ self-study and I got stuck with this problem. I want to have a code that asks the suer to enter two numbers and then it lists the numbers between these two numbers. It has also to print a message if these two numbers are equal. Here is what I wrote: #include <iostream>... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
11 Replies

7. Solaris

Why mkfile decreases available memory?

Hi, we are experiencing very odd behavior. After "mkfile 1g <somefile>" the available memory seen through vmstat memory free column decreases by the same ammount. It doesn't matter where the <somefile> is located, even when the file is on NAS, the available memory decreases. When the file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jan_bar
2 Replies
dtc_setup_vps_disks(8)					      System Manager's Manual					    dtc_setup_vps_disks(8)

NAME
dtc_setup_disk - setup LVM disks for using it as a VM SYNOPSIS
dtc_setup_vps_disk.sh VPS_NUMBER HDD_SIZE SWAP_SIZE [ lvm|loopback ] DESCRIPTION
dtc_setup_vps_disk.sh This shell script is a part of the dtc-xen package that is to be used by the dtc panel to manage a Xen VPS server. This script is used to create partitions to be used by a VPS later on. It will create a normal partition that will be used as a root disk, and a swap partition. dtc_setup_disk is to be used by the dtc-xen SOAP server, but can also be used as a standalone userland tool. If the partition(s) exists, then this script will delete it/them first. OPTIONS
VPS_NUMBER has to be a number between 01 and 19. Let's say the number is 16, and that dtc-xen is configured to use the volume group called lvm1, then this script will create /dev/lvm1/xen16 and /dev/lvm1/xen16swap. HDD_SIZE Size in MB of the VPS partition to create. SWAP_SIZE Size in MB of the VPS swap partition to create. If the dtc-xen SOAP server is used to create the VPS, then it will create a swap partition of the exact same size as the memory. IMAGE_TYPE This parameter can have 2 values: either lvm or loopback. If ommited, then lvm is used. If lvm is used, then this script will create a partition using lvmcreate, otherwise it will create an image file. Both will later be used for the VPS. EXAMPLE
dtc_setup_vps_disk 04 15360 256 lvm This will create 2 LVM partition to be used by the VPS named xen04, the first one being a root partition of 15 GB, and the second one being a swap partition of 256 MB. VERSION
This documentation describes dtc_setup_vps_disk version 0.3.15. See http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc-xen.html for updates. SEE ALSO
dtc_reinstall_os(8), dtc_kill_vps_disk(8) dtc_setup_vps_disks(8)