Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script that will be a cron job to export rrd files for cacti server Post 302565281 by TheBigAmbulance on Monday 17th of October 2011 12:09:11 PM
Old 10-17-2011
Thanks for the replies.

the problem I end up with is that if I use a *.rrd, the source directory becomes part of the $FILE.

Code:
/backup/cacti_xml.sh: line 9: /backpu/cacti_xml//var/www/html/rra/rg100_traffic_in_1108.rrd.xml: No such file or directory

That is why I was thinking of cleaning up the whole 'cd' to directory, and then do stuff. I don't think it's necessary, and I don't know how to strip the /var/www/html/rra out of the $FILE variable so that when it writes the xml to /backup/cacti_xml, it won't include all of this information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON-Job / Shell-Skript deleting special files

Just I'm trying to find script, which will do the following job: 1. as a CRON-Job it shoult a) delete files which will be either older than 24 hours or b) all files within a) a directory deleting recursive b) only a special directory. 2. write an error-/Delete_log... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManfredWL
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CRON Job - saving to a different server?

Thanks for the all the help last evening on CRON jobs. It's now working. Is it possible with cron to save a backup of a file to a different server or location? The idea being that if one host goes arse over tit, I'll have a backup of the DB on another server? Many thanks, Ed Ludlow (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eludlow
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server moved, new IP, broken CRON job

Due to downsizing and attrition, I have inherited SysAdmin tasks, but unfortunately not all the required knowledge and skills came to me along with the assignment -> so I appreciate any advice and help ( be patient with my newbie terms and questions). We moved a central server and changed it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HikerLT
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Job Config files

Hi All, I have created 2 shell scripts and set Cron jobs which runs it at various frequencies.The first one which runs every 2 minutes Monday to Friday and another cron job runs at 11PM on the last Sunday of every month. I have given the cron job entries below. Was wondering whether instead... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: valluvan
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron job to delete files

Hi everyone! I'm sorry, I'm a total noob but would really appreciate any advice or help. I want to create a cron job that would run every hour and would look inside a few different folders. If any new files were created within those folders within the last hour they would be destroyed, but any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessn
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job shell script..

Hey Guys, i was trying out a shell script which has to remove a file for every 90 mins. this is the code i came up with . $ crontab -e file1 file1 contains 30 1 * * * * rm -r /folder1/folder2/somefile.txt Now i need the cron to run for every 90 mins. the problem with this is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Keep Server Alive with Cron Job

Despite my best efforts, my media streaming server still dies sometimes and I am in a random place trying to ssh into the server to restart it on my cell phone after customers start calling.... I tried using google to track down a script that would do the following Every 5 min execute: sudo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajhalls
1 Replies

8. Solaris

cron job for phython script

Hello, How do I schedule a cron job for a phython script to run every hour? Also, in case in future I decide to edit/cancel the job how should i do it? Does it matter where my phython script is located? Also, I have am using mailx utility in my script to send me an email and dont want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddhans
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cron job to extact lines from files to another file and ftp to new server

i have a text file in this format: which creates a new one everyday in the form of filename _zing__r200_2012_8_10_log.txt Fri Aug 10 07:29:17 EDT 2012, usera(192.168.0.245) to anotheruser: hey top, this is a private test Fri Aug 10 07:29:28 EDT 2012, anotheruser(192.168.0.245) to usera: got... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job that checks for new/recent files

I'm new to shell scripting, and I want to set up a cron job that scans the date/time stamp of all files in a directory, and then if any file is, say, less than 10 minutes old, I want it to execute a command on that file. What would be the best way to go about this? Thanks. Not sure if it makes a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DavidHoffman
1 Replies
apticron(1)						      General Commands Manual						       apticron(1)

NAME
apticron - Generate a mail listing packages which are pending an upgrade SYNOPSIS
apticron [--cron] DESCRIPTION
apticron is a shell script which generates a mail with a list of all packages currently pending an upgrade, as well as summary of changes - using apt-listchanges - to a configurable Email address. apticron is mainly intended for automatic notification of pending security updates but can also be used in many other situations where timely updates are necessary. The --cron option is only meant to be used when invoked by cron in order to run no more than once a day. FILES
/etc/apticron/apticron.conf Configuration file, Email address to mail and profile for use with apt-listchanges are configurable. /etc/cron.d/apticron Cron job for executing apticron daily. /etc/cron.daily/apticron Fallback cron script for executing apticron (if no crond running or system down at designated time). /var/lib/misc/apticron.cron Time stamp file used by apticron when invoked with --cron option. SEE ALSO
apt-get(8), apt-listchanges(1), cron(8) AUTHOR
Apticron was initially developed by Colm MacCarthaigh <colm.maccarthaigh@heanet.ie> with contributions from Marc Sherman <msherman@projec- tile.ca>. Since 2006 it is maintained and improved by Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian.org>. apticron(1)