Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copying all directories while ignoring certain filetypes Post 302565094 by Chubler_XL on Monday 17th of October 2011 12:07:39 AM
Old 10-17-2011
You could use rsync

Just put list of exclude patterns in a file eg /tmp/nosync.txt
Code:
*.mp3
*.mp4
*.sav

Now run
Code:
rsync -axv --exclude-from=/tmp/nosync.txt --dry-run /source/top/dir /dest

If this looks like what you want to do remove the --dry-run option to actually do the copy.

To do a move instead of copy you can use --del and --prune-empty-dirs. There are heaps of other options that control how rsync works so check the manual for other options you man want to consider.
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying multiple directories at the same time using Unix

Another Unix question. How would I copy multiple directories at the same time? Right now I do: cp -r -f /directory1/ ../backup/directory1/ I do that for each directory one at a time. But there are multiple directories I'd like to copy. So instead of sitting there and doing one at a time, is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPigford
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying to multiple directories using wildcard

Can we copy a file to multiple directories using a single command line , i tried with * didnt work for me cp /tmp/a.kool /tmp/folder/*/keys/ I am tryn to copy a.kool file to all keys folder in /tmp folder. is something i am missing ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: logic0
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using find -d and copying to the found directories

Hi again All :) After posting my first thread just a few eeks ago and having such a great response (Thank You once again :) ), I thought I'd perhaps ask the experts again. In short I'm trying to achieve a "find" and "copy" where the find needs to find directories: find -d -name outbox and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dean Rotherham
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a files from a filter list and creating their associated parent directories

Hello all, I'm trying to copy all files within a specified directory to another location based on a find filter of mtime -1 (Solaris OS). The issue that I'm having is that in the destination directory, I want to retain the source directory structure while copying over only the files that have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hunter55
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all files recursively from directories while ignoring one file type

Hi, Seems like I need help again with a problem: I want to delete all files from my lets say "Music" Directory inkluding all of the subfolders except for .mp3 and .MP3 files. I tried it with globalignoring mp3 files, finding and deleting all other files, which resulted in all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying data from files to directories

I have the following that I'd like to do: 1. I have split a file into separate files that I placed into the /tmp directory. These files are named F1 F2 F3 F4. 2. In addition, I have several directories which are alphabetized as dira dirb dirc dird. 3. I'd like to be able to copy F1 F2 F3 F4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error check for copying growing directories

I have a simple script which copies directory from one place to another and deleting the source . I am facing a situation when new files gets added when the script has started running. Its resulting in data loss Please suggest a way to avoid data loss. I googled a lot but most are perl... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff command for other filetypes

Hello, I have two .odt files extensions and I tried running diff command like this $ diff A_old.odt A.odt It just returns this output, that they are different but doesnt tell me where they are different Binary files A_old.odt and A.odt differ so does diff command work only if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajayram
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying Directories from one server to another

Hi, I have a requirement where I have to connect to another server and copy directories from one server to another Directories on the Source server look like below (YYYY-MM-DD- 1 to 23) drwxr-xr-x 2 test_user dmfmart 422 Sep 1 23:45 2014-09-01-18 drwxr-xr-x 2 test_user dmfmart ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkesi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to directories based on first 6 character

guys, i did create a script but its too long, though it function the same. # cat nightlyscan.sh #!/usr/ksh deyt=`date +"%Y-%m-%d"` for i in `ls -lrt|grep $deyt|awk '{print $9}'` do cp -f $i /S1/Sophos/logger/ done # but i did not paste it all. this is the desired. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
9 Replies
xdg-user-dirs-update(1) 					   User Commands					   xdg-user-dirs-update(1)

NAME
xdg-user-dirs-update - Create and configure default desktop user directories. SYNOPSIS
xdg-user-dirs-update [--force] [--dummy-output path] [--set DIR path] DESCRIPTION
xdg-user-dirs-update is used to create the default desktop user directories such as : Desktop Download Templates Public Documents Music Pictures Videos In general this is run at user login to an XDG compatible desktop such as GNOME or KDE. The directories are created using the user's locale - and this information is then stored in the ${HOME}/.config/user-dirs.dirs file such that if the user then changes the locale they log in as, the directories will still be referenced correctly, but will remain in the original locale unless you run the xdg-user-dirs-update com- mand with the --force option. The default names used to create these directories are configured in the system configuration file /etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults. Other configuration is stored in the file /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf. In this file you can disable this functionality system-wide and define what encoding is used in the creation of the directories. By default this is UTF-8 since this is the main encoding used in the desktops. Continuous monitoring is done by the file manager - nautilus in GNOME - and if these directories are renamed or removed nautilus will update the user's configuration file to reflect this change. OPTIONS
--force Force an update of the directories to the current locale. --dummy-output path Simulate the creation of the user configuration file and write to the specified path. --set DIR path Update the user's configuration changing the DIR to point to the specified path. Valid desktop directories (DIR) are: DESKTOP DOWNLOAD TEMPLATES PUBLICSHARE DOCUMENTS MUSIC PICTURES VIDEOS FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/xdg-user-dirs-update XDG User Directory management utility. /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf Used to configure the operation of xdg-user-dirs-update. Can be used to totally disable the the creation of these directories and also to define what locale encoding should be used by default - by default this is UTF-8 which is the preferred encoding used by the GNOME Virtual File System layer. /etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults Used to configure the default locations that xdg-user-dirs-update will create/manage relative to the user's ${HOME}. ${HOME}/.config/user-dirs.dirs Location of the user-specific configuration including the current list of directories and what they map to. ${HOME}/.config/user-dirs.locale Contains the name of the locale (excluding encoding) that was used to create the initial set of directories. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Determine what may happen if you force an update. % xdg-user-dirs-update --force --dummy-output /tmp/dummy.out Moving DOWNLOAD directory from Downloads to Download Also will write output like the following to /tmp/dummy.out: # This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update # If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're # interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run # Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped # homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an # absolute path. No other format is supported. # XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop" XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Download" XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates" XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Public" XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents" XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music" XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures" XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos" Example 2: Change location of my pictures. % xdg-user-dirs-update --set PICTURES /home/user/Documents/MyPictures Modifies the ${HOME}/.config/user-dirs.dirs file to have the line: ... XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Documents/MyPictures" ... ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxdg-user-dirs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
More information can be found at: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update(1), xdg-user-dir(1), attributes(5) NOTES
Written by Darren Kenny, Sun Microsystems Inc, 2008 SunOS 5.11 03 Apr 2008 xdg-user-dirs-update(1)