Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Can I erase and start my mac with unix command Post 302565045 by phildobbin on Sunday 16th of October 2011 01:42:05 PM
Old 10-16-2011
You could also try booting from a LiveCD e.g. Fedora, CentOS, Ubuntu if the Mac is an Intel version (you can also get PowerPC CDs for Yellow Dog Linux).

This will enable you to erase the hard drive in the Mac & re-install your OS. If you haven't another machine to download an iso, go to an InterWeb cafe & search Google for Linux CD vendors. They generally cost about £3 or £4 each.

---------- Post updated at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:34 PM ----------

also on having re-read your post, there is no Extensions Manager on OS X. That was only used on the Classic Mac OS from v.6 ==>v.9.2.2...

What was the name of the file you deleted (i.e. ~/Library... or /Library...)?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there an unrecoverable erase command?

I am "retiring" an old unix box and need to erase all sensitive data so that it can not be recovered. Does anyone know a unix command for this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snyderpa
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stty erase e command

I'm not familiar with the stty command. What would "stty erase e" do to my system and what kind of problems would it create? Also, how would I undo this command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CEngel0327
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to erase tape data in unix V4.0 D?

hi! my computer is... System: Digital Personal Workstation 433a Processor: Digital Alpha 21164, 433 MHz Memory: 64 MB OS: Digital Unix Console (SRM), Digital Unix V4.0D how to erase tape data? I tried with mt erase but no success. My tape is 120m. So, how can i erase tape? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akz
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Turn python script into an installed UNIX command (Mac OS X)

Okay so i have a script i wrote in python. I want to turn this script into an INSTALLED COMMAND to run in terminal. Right now i run it like this in terminal... $ python myscriptname.py or $ ./myscriptname.py but i want to be able to run it like this in terminal... $ myscriptname ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command for a dummy... where do i start?

I have never used Unix before and only heard of it at the start of the week. But ny new job requires me to use the Unix/Linux command, and i need an introduction for a total beginer... are there any intro videos or books you would recomend? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomvcarter
2 Replies

6. AIX

How to use dd command to erase the data in disk

how to use dd command to erase the data in disk, such as hdisk2? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
9 Replies
cdde(1) 																   cdde(1)

NAME
cdde - Compact Disc Detect & Execute SYNOPSIS
cdde [-c filename] [-rbvVh] DESCRIPTION
cdde is a program that detects when a cdrom drive on your system has had a disc inserted. When it finds a disc inserted in the drive it will attempt to determine the type of the disc, and execute a specified command. This means you can put in a dvd and your favorite dvd software will start, or put in a data cd and it will be automatically mounted for you. Right now cdde can detect the following types of discs: * audio cd * data cd * dvd * mixed audio/data cd * vcd * svcd * blank cdr/dvdr For now the dvd checking is just a bit of magic that checks to see if there's a "video_ts" directory on the disc. Same goes for the vcd checking: it just looks for a "vcd" directory on the disc. cdde reads its configuration from "~/.cdde.xml" unless otherwise specified on the command line. OPTIONS
-r, --run Run commands on disc already in drive when is started. -b, --batch Batch mode: check all drives once then exit. (implies -r) -c, --config <filename> Use the config file <filename>. (Default is ~/.cdde.xml) -v, --verbose Print out lots of information. -V, --version Print out version information. -h, --help Print Display this help and exit. FILES
~/.cdde.xml SEE ALSO
cdde.xml(5) AUTHORS
Eric Lathrop <eric@ericlathrop.com> Stanislav Maslovski <stanislav.maslovski@gmail.com> WEBSITE
For the latest release of cdde, see: http://cdde.sourceforge.net/ Eric Lathrop 0.3.1 cdde(1)