Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming strtok() gives segmentation fault!! Post 302564927 by ashwini.engr07 on Saturday 15th of October 2011 12:57:43 PM
Old 10-15-2011
strtok() gives segmentation fault!!

Code:
#include<iostream.h>
#include<string>
#include<stdio.h>

int main()
{
         char *cmd="delete backup backup-iso image a.iso b.iso c.iso d.iso";
         char *tokenized_cmd,*sub_cmd;

sub_cmd=strstr(cmd,"image");
        tokenized_cmd=strtok(sub_cmd," ");

while(tokenized_cmd != NULL)
        {
                tokenized_cmd=strtok(NULL," ");
                if(tokenized_cmd!=NULL)
                {
                        cout<<tokenized_cmd<<" ";
                }
        }

}

The output i expect here is :
a.iso b.iso c.iso d.iso
i.e.,whatever is there after the word "image".

but the command tokenized_cmd=strtok(cmd," ");
is throwing segmentation fault!!Smilie

Any mistakes you could find in the snippet??

Last edited by ashwini.engr07; 10-15-2011 at 02:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

hello all, I tried a program on an array to intialise array elements from the standard input device.it is an integer array of 5 elements.but after entering the 4th element it throws a message called "Segmentation Fault" and returns to the command prompt without asking for the 5th element. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
3 Replies

2. AIX

Segmentation fault

Hi , During execution a backup binary i get following error "Program error 11 (Segmentation fault), saving core file in '/usr/datatools" Riyaz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rshaikh
2 Replies

3. Programming

segmentation fault

Hi, I am having this segmentation fault not in the following program, bt. in my lab program . My lab program is horrible long so cannot post it here bt. I am using the following logic in my program which is giving the segmentation fault. Bt. if I run this sample program as it is it dosen't give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
3 Replies

4. Programming

segmentation fault

What is segmentation fault(core dumped) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokult
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

segmentation fault with ps

What does this mean and why is this happening? $ ps -ef | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps -ef | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps aux | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ pkill okular $ ps... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

6. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Segmentation Fault

this is a network programming code to run a rock paper scissors in a client and server. I completed it and it was working without any error. After I added the findWinner function to the server code it starts giving me segmentation fault. -the segmentation fault is fixed Current problem -Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Segmentation fault

Hi Guys, I just installed and booted a zone called testzone. When I logged in remotely and tried changing to root user I get this error: "Segmentation fault" Can someone please help me resolve this? Thanks alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies

9. Programming

Segmentation fault

I keep getting this fault on a lot of the codes I write, I'm not exactly sure why so I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain the idea to me. For example this code #include <stdio.h> main() { unsigned long a=0; unsigned long b=0; int z; { printf("Enter two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sizzler786
2 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
STRTOK(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 STRTOK(3)

NAME
strtok, strtok_r - extract tokens from strings SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char *strtok(char *s, const char *delim); char *strtok_r(char *s, const char *delim, char **ptrptr); DESCRIPTION
A `token' is a nonempty string of characters not occurring in the string delim, followed by or by a character occurring in delim. The strtok() function can be used to parse the string s into tokens. The first call to strtok() should have s as its first argument. Subse- quent calls should have the first argument set to NULL. Each call returns a pointer to the next token, or NULL when no more tokens are found. If a token ends with a delimiter, this delimiting character is overwritten with a and a pointer to the next character is saved for the next call to strtok(). The delimiter string delim may be different for each call. The strtok_r() function is a reentrant version of the strtok() function, which instead of using its own static buffer, requires a pointer to a user allocated char*. This pointer, the ptrptr parameter, must be the same while parsing the same string. BUGS
Never use these functions. If you do, note that: These functions modify their first argument. These functions cannot be used on constant strings. The identity of the delimiting character is lost. The strtok() function uses a static buffer while parsing, so it's not thread safe. Use strtok_r() if this matters to you. RETURN VALUE
The strtok() function returns a pointer to the next token, or NULL if there are no more tokens. CONFORMING TO
strtok() SVID 3, POSIX, BSD 4.3, ISO 9899 strtok_r() POSIX.1c SEE ALSO
index(3), memchr(3), rindex(3), strchr(3), strpbrk(3), strsep(3), strspn(3), strstr(3) GNU
2000-02-13 STRTOK(3)