Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find who opened/modified a file last Post 302564810 by Jabarod on Friday 14th of October 2011 04:24:06 PM
Old 10-14-2011
How to find who opened/modified a file last

Hi *,

I'm wondering if it possible to know WHO opened or modified a file last?
I know it's possible with some options of find and also ls to get when the file was modified last.
I'm currently supervising a file and have to log all users name who opened or modified it.

Thanx a lot for any help or tips.Smilie

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to retrieve original contents of a modified file (modified using vi)

Made changes to a file using vi editor and saved those changes now realised that the changes are not required How can I get the previous version of the file.i.e the one which was there on which I had made changes (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice100
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to find last time file was opened

New to unix .. Is there a simple command or utility that will tell me when the last time a file was opened/used? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbr262
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find recently modified/ updated file

hi gurus, i would like to know how can i find logs files which were recently modified or updated? :confused: using this command? find . -name "*.log" -mtime ?? so what should i put for mtime? thanks. wee (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the latest modified file from the unix server.

hi Friends, In my directory i have some files. I need to find out latest modified file. Please help me. Sreenu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenu80
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find process through file opened

Hello all, I have a file that is growing and growing by the action of any process. How can I find what process is? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertogarcia
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find when cron is modified

Hi all, We use cron "/usr/rdl/sc/cccron" to execute our jobs. But sometimes it is being changed. but we are not sure when it is changed. how could we find when cron is modified. i checked cron by giving ls -l . but it is showing 2009 year. ls -l /usr/rdl/sc/cccron -r-xr-xr-x 1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divakar
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file modified more than once

Hi All, How to find a file modified more than once.... Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find the latest modified file in a directory

I am trying to fetch the latest modified file from a directory using the command find . -type f -exec ls -lt \{\} \+ | head | awk '{print $9}' After the O/P, I get the below mentioned error and the command doesnt terminate at all. find: ls terminated by signal 13 find: ls terminated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file by filename or with newest modified date

Hi, I have a directory that has numerous files in it, and there is two which are named "filerec_ddmmyyHH24MMSS" by the time they are created so "filerec_010615012250" was created at 01:22:50 on 1st June 2015. I need to find the most recently created of those 2 files and get the contents of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: finn
4 Replies
FTP_MDTM(3)								 1							       FTP_MDTM(3)

ftp_mdtm - Returns the last modified time of the given file

SYNOPSIS
int ftp_mdtm (resource $ftp_stream, string $remote_file) DESCRIPTION
ftp_mdtm(3) gets the last modified time for a remote file. Note Not all servers support this feature! Note ftp_mdtm(3) does not work with directories. PARAMETERS
o $ftp_stream - The link identifier of the FTP connection. o $remote_file - The file from which to extract the last modification time. RETURN VALUES
Returns the last modified time as a Unix timestamp on success, or -1 on error. EXAMPLES
Example #1 ftp_mdtm(3) example <?php $file = 'somefile.txt'; // set up basic connection $conn_id = ftp_connect($ftp_server); // login with username and password $login_result = ftp_login($conn_id, $ftp_user_name, $ftp_user_pass); // get the last modified time $buff = ftp_mdtm($conn_id, $file); if ($buff != -1) { // somefile.txt was last modified on: March 26 2003 14:16:41. echo "$file was last modified on : " . date("F d Y H:i:s.", $buff); } else { echo "Couldn't get mdtime"; } // close the connection ftp_close($conn_id); ?> PHP Documentation Group FTP_MDTM(3)