Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with Korn Shell script for substring printing Post 302564319 by Corona688 on Thursday 13th of October 2011 10:26:03 AM
Old 10-13-2011
That's a useless use of cat, useless use of backticks, and useless use of awk. Your code will surprise you one day unless you fix this habit.

Code:
while IFS=":" read IP NAME
do
        vsping $IP > /dev/null 2> /dev/null && echo "$IP"
done < mylist.txt > pingable.txt

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring in C shell script?

i am a new user of C-shell script. I want to know can i create a substring in a string. That means when i got a variable $input = "it is number 2" I want to get the "2" to be another variable. Can i do that in C-shell and how to ? Thank you so much dinodash (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinodash
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring function in UNIX shell script

Hi All, Following is the output of a find commnd to locate log directories for various projects of UNIX AIX box: /home/hbinz6pf/projectlibs/dpr_pfsdw_dev/&PH& /opt/tools/ds/Template/&PH& /data/ds/ms/hmsdw/projectlibs/dpr_ms_dev/&PH& /data/ds/riskmi/projectlibs/dpr_riskmi_dev/&PH&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csrazdan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substring function in UNIX shell script

Hi All, Following is the output of a find commnd to locate log directories for various projects of UNIX AIX box: /home/hbinz6pf/projectlibs/dpr_pfsdw_dev/&PH& /opt/tools/ds/Template/&PH& /data/ds/ms/hmsdw/projectlibs/dpr_ms_dev/&PH& /data/ds/riskmi/projectlibs/dpr_riskmi_dev/&PH&... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrazdan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem extracting substring in korn shell

hi all, I have read similiar topics in this board, but i didn' t find the posting which is the same with the problem i face.. I try to extract string from the end. i try to do this: num=abcdefghij num2=${num:-5} echo $num2 #this should print the last 5 characters (fghij) but it doesn;t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nashrul
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substring in Shell Script

Hi I'm new to Shell scripting. Someone please help me in extracting a portion of string from a file. Eg: I got a file like, Readme.txt and has the following name value pairs input1 : /homes/input1/ input2 : /homes/input2/ ... ... When I give the parameter input1, the value... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartbuddy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring in shell script

I need a help in getting substring of each line in input file. I am writing a script that will read a file from a directory on daily basis, I mean everyday a new file will be stored in this directory, it will replace old file. I have to read contents of this file, the contents will be as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotib
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using substring in shell script

This is the data I am having in a file Just for sample I have given 3 records. The file which I am having consists of n number of records. ABC123 10 01/02/2008 2008-01-03-00.00.00.000000 DYUU 22 02/03/2008 2008-01-04-00.00.00.000000 RF33 88 03/05/2008 2008-01-05-00.00.00.000000 ... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
24 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If statement for substring within string (korn)

Hi all, Just looking for a simple if statement that searches for a substring within a varaible, and then performs some function. Problem is that I need it to work in Korn shell $var = *string* does not work in Korn i="xxxxxx00.00yyyyy.zzzzz" want to find 00.00 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrosecl
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring check in IF condition in shell script

I want to check if the string has the substring in IF condition then process... i tried below but not working if ]; then ............. field can be "reserved1" ....reservedn / fillspaces1 ... fillspacesn (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Shell Extract substring

Hi all, Please, i'd like to extract string just before '.fr'. Here is some lines of my file: g-82.text.text1.fr.worker1 g-xx.yyyyyy.zzzz.fr.worker2 i'd like to extract this text: g-82.text.text1 g-xx.yyyyyy.zzzz Please, which command i have to use in my script shell ? ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
16 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.12.1 2008-04-04 URI::URL(3)