Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Preserving the timestamp while running gzip? Post 302563815 by pludi on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 08:11:43 AM
Old 10-12-2011
Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Side note, in case someone else has a similar problem: with a redirection it wouldn't be possible, as that information, along with permissions, etc., isn't transfered, only the files contents.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip with timestamp

Hi all, I have a file(Say x) and need to zip using gzip with the date&Timestamp(Something like x01012007.......) . Can you please tell me the command. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijju.mathew
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserving the timestamp of a file when copied from remote server to local server using ftp

Hi, I need to copy few files from remote server to local server. I write a shell script to connect to the remote server using ftp and go to that path. Now i need to copy those files in the remote directory to my local server with the timestamp of all those files shouldnt be changed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retain "directory" timestamp when using gzip?

Hello All, I am trying to gzip a directory contents with the option "-r". The file timestamps remaining same but not the directory, how to retain it too. ex: $ ls -l 20090624065000 total 1213360 -rwxrwxrwx 1 cisa users 529513119 Jun 24 2009 A -rwxrwxrwx 1 cisa ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get a timestamp when running nohup & from a shell?

Hi, I am running nohup cp & in a shell script. How do I get a timestamp so I can get a timing of how long the copy took? Roughly, the script does something like below: date nohup cp -rp /files/source /files/target & date I am mainly wanting to know how long it took for the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check timestamp in logfile and display lines upto 3 hours before current timestamp

Hi Friends, I have the following logfile. Currently time in india is 07/31/2014 12:33:34 and i have the following content in logfile. I want to display only those entries which contain string 'Exception' within last 3 hours. In this case, it would be the last line only I can get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX : Need to convert UNIX Timestamp to normal timestamp

Hello , I am working on AIX. I have to convert Unix timestamp to normal timestamp. Below is the file. The Unix timestamp will always be preceded by EFFECTIVE_TIME as first field as shown and there could be multiple EFFECTIVE_TIME in the file : 3.txt Contents of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp

So basically I have a log file and each line in this log file starts with a timestamp: MON DD HH:MM:SS SEP 15 07:30:01 I need to grep all the lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp. Then these lines will be moved to a tmp file from which I will grep for particular strings. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
core_addshmem_write(5)						File Formats Manual					    core_addshmem_write(5)

NAME
core_addshmem_write - determines the inclusion of read/write shared memory in process core dump VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values or DESCRIPTION
The tunable was added in response to a problem where a customer was limited in debugging a user-level process crash because shared memory segments were not written as part of the core file. Upon core dump, the sections of user memory labeled as shared read-write are written (along with the normal data sections) if this tunable is set to and left out if it is set to Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? When you wish to include read-write shared memory segments in user core files due to debugging needs by developers or maintainers on the system. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? User process core files would increase in most cases (most applications use at least some shared memory). This could be a problem on sys- tems where disk space is at a premium. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? When there is no need for debugging core files where shared memory corruption or data values are in question. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? Core files will tend to be smaller. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? Certainly think about which does the same thing for read-only shared memory segments. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters core_addshmem_write(5)