Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Scripting an alarm
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Scripting an alarm Post 302563791 by thegeek on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 07:18:40 AM
Old 10-12-2011
redirect the output to grep, if there is a match - let it show an alert.

Code:
echo "failure" | grep 'failure' && notify-send "there is a failure"

echo "success" | grep 'failure' && notify-send "there is a failure"

If you dont have notify-send, use some other alerting mechanism in your OS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alarm signal

Hi, when I execute a script on unix AIX, I've got an error message: "Execution: 85328 Signal d'alarme". If I edit this file with "vi", I ve got the same error after a while (about 1 minute). If I try with another user I still have the problem. But if I rename this file, no problem. My... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgsteph
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alarm

Hello I have a server HP ES40 with unix 5.1B, and if i open from Start-Programs-IN Tools-GUI/pfmalarm/Alarm-start monitoring , I receive this error message "IOR : STRING IS TOO LONG ! MAXIMUM SIZE = 1024" Anybody heard about this error? Thanks Alin (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomaalin
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl alarm signal

I am trying to write a signal to exit when a process times out. What I have come up with from poking around the web is this. #!/usr/bin/perl eval { local $SIG{ALRM} = sub { die "alarm clock restart" }; alarm 10; open(DSMADMC, "dsmadmc -se=tsmpc1 -id=XXXXX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
2 Replies

4. Programming

Basic signal and alarm usage

I am trying to write a program that will; 1) Show the message "Snoozing now...zzzz" on the screen for 5 seconds 2) Then in the same position show the message "The ALARM is going off now!" for 5 seconds 3) Repeat 1) then 2) infinitely until user presses Ctrl C I can't make it work. Any hints... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
17 Replies

5. AIX

File Accessed Alarm ??

Hey, I want to ask a simple Question.... How would I be able to come to know that files/directoires in a Parent directory has been accessed (means contents of the file has been just viewed) by the user(s) in a group ? and mail the name(s) of those files/directories which has been accessed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varungupta
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Accessed Alarm ??

Hey, I want to ask a simple Question.... How would I be able to come to know that files/directoires in a Parent directory has been accessed (means contents of the file has been just viewed) by the user(s) in a group ? and mail the name(s) of those files/directories which has been accessed... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

raise an alarm in Unix

Hi members, I am working in WebSphere in Unix environment. we are working with 500 odd servers and most of the times processes got down. Can i have any shell script through whih some popup with alarm get raised whenever some server get down. kindly help.. Thanks Rishi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rishi.madan
1 Replies

8. Programming

alarm signal processing

I'm writing a function right now, and I want to set an alarm to avoid a timeout, here's the general idea of my code: int amt = -2; alarm(10); amt = read(fd, &t->buf, TASKBUFSIZ - tailpos); //do a read when the alarm goes off, i want to check the value of "amt" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liaobert
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Sysedge alarm threshold

Hello, how can we determine alarm threshold from sysedge in a solaris box? can anybody please help me? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Alarm interrupt and multithreading

Hi Friends any know how became a friend in this Android Programming Language (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljarun
0 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)