Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bash: making a count
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash: making a count Post 302563653 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 11th of October 2011 09:43:12 PM
Old 10-11-2011
Why not use awk to count for you
Code:
failcount=$(awk -F: '$3>49 {F++} END {print F}' class.marks)
echo $failcount

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making Application by bash

I'm using Mac OSX. And i want to make an visual application based on bash command. But, apple script doesn't support Terminal command. So please tell me how to turn my dream into a reality. :o I mean purely by bash! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Euler04
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a progress gauge in a bash script

Hello once again: One thing that seems to be a nice feature is a progress gauge... so I can see how long an operation will take for a task to complete if it is requiring a lot of processing or the file is enormous. I have seen references to gauge operations, but I don't know anything about it or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccox85
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count Directories In bash

Hi ALL I have small script that find 777 dir now i want to count these directories,Keep in mind there are many directories. This IS my code below. #!/bin/bash check=/var/www/html find $check -type d -perm 777 | while read DIR do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

making a list matching certain criteria in bash...

Hello everyone!I am trying to make a mail list(a simple .txt file)in which i put certain records that match specific criteria. Let's say that i have a(sorted by last column file)like this one: 0100567 Bla1 Lala1 100 1234567 Bla2 Lala2 80 8769029 Bla3 Lala3 70 1001007 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making array of string with bash

in.txt libgstreamer gstreamer-0_10 gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base Output should be: libgstreamer gstreamer-0_10 gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer0_10-plugins-base Then: #!/bin/sh v=(libgstreamer gstreamer-0_10 gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

making code compatible to previous bash versions

First let me explain the scenario I have tywo files as usual file1.txt (it has n rows and 8 columns) $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 Code: 1234567|iufgt|iuoy|iout|white |black |red |90879 1234567|iufgt|iuoy|iout|green |pink |blue |90879... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a bash script and small C program for a homework assignment

Here's the assignment. I'll bold the parts that are rough for me. Unfortunately, that's quite a bit lol. The syntax is, of course, where my issues lie, for the most part. I don't have a lot of programming experience at all :/. I'd post what I've already done, but I'm so lost I really don't know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twk101
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in making a basic bash script

Hi All, I am trying to monitor CPU load of few processes, with the same name. The output that I get from top is the following 28171 root 20 0 1089m 21m 3608 S 103 0.3 15:16.89 /opt/ppp//h264rtptranscoder.bin --videoPort=14504 --audioPort=14505 27589 root 20 0 1060m 23m... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liviusbr
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for making complexes of ligands and receptor

I am working with autodock vina for virtual screening and docking with cygwin. Autodock vina generates conformers for multiple ligands. I want to make the complex of these conformers with receptor. e.g. I have 100 .pdbqt files form vina output and one receptor pdbqt file. By running command- cut... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajesh Patil
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making bash script allways executable when transfer ?

Does it possible to make some bash script automatic to be a executable when transfered to another pc...? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
5 Replies
COUNT(3)								 1								  COUNT(3)

count - Count all elements in an array, or something in an object

SYNOPSIS
int count (mixed $array_or_countable, [int $mode = COUNT_NORMAL]) DESCRIPTION
Counts all elements in an array, or something in an object. For objects, if you have SPL installed, you can hook into count(3) by implementing interface Countable. The interface has exactly one method, Countable::count, which returns the return value for the count(3) function. Please see the Array section of the manual for a detailed explanation of how arrays are implemented and used in PHP. PARAMETERS
o $array_or_countable - An array or Countable object. o $mode - If the optional $mode parameter is set to COUNT_RECURSIVE (or 1), count(3) will recursively count the array. This is particu- larly useful for counting all the elements of a multidimensional array. Caution count(3) can detect recursion to avoid an infinite loop, but will emit an E_WARNING every time it does (in case the array contains itself more than once) and return a count higher than may be expected. RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of elements in $array_or_countable. If the parameter is not an array or not an object with implemented Countable inter- face, 1 will be returned. There is one exception, if $array_or_countable is NULL, 0 will be returned. Caution count(3) may return 0 for a variable that isn't set, but it may also return 0 for a variable that has been initialized with an empty array. Use isset(3) to test if a variable is set. EXAMPLES
Example #1 count(3) example <?php $a[0] = 1; $a[1] = 3; $a[2] = 5; $result = count($a); // $result == 3 $b[0] = 7; $b[5] = 9; $b[10] = 11; $result = count($b); // $result == 3 $result = count(null); // $result == 0 $result = count(false); // $result == 1 ?> Example #2 Recursive count(3) example <?php $food = array('fruits' => array('orange', 'banana', 'apple'), 'veggie' => array('carrot', 'collard', 'pea')); // recursive count echo count($food, COUNT_RECURSIVE); // output 8 // normal count echo count($food); // output 2 ?> SEE ALSO
is_array(3), isset(3), strlen(3). PHP Documentation Group COUNT(3)