Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash: delete a string from last line Post 302563563 by Chella15 on Tuesday 11th of October 2011 02:11:56 PM
Old 10-11-2011
Thanks ygemici !

This works great, but I am not sure how to adapt this into my requirement as I had to manipulate it after the loop and not within. Can you also please explain the below part of the code :
Code:
sed "s;'||chr(; ;");

In my requirement I dont have a specific line number. So it will be easy if it can be manipulated after the loop is finished.

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-13-2011 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a Line with a string X

Hi guys, I am new here. I have done many scripts in VisualBasic and batch. Now going to *inux and learning bash and perl, quite amazing commands I find in linux, like sed, grep, awk and so on... the task is simple, find a string in folders and remove the line where that string exists. I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4scriptmoni
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a string from line

hi i have a file contains data session terminated Line timeout: 120 Change state START->SIGNON_REPLY, RC=0 Change state SIGNON_REPLY->SIGNON, RC=0 i need to remove "Change state" and write to the same file please help thanks Satya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search string and delete the line

Hi All, I have a file from Mainframe which has one of the lines with so many words... i tried to fold, format to 80 chararcter.. stil did not work. So i have decided to search for a string in that line Ex.FLIGHT PLAN and once if it is found i want to delete the entire line. Please help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalrg
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a line, delete a string in it

let me start out by saying i have ZERO exp with any kind of scripting, so sorry if this is really basic stuff..... For example, I need to have a script that will search a file and find this line in the file: *.cat;dog;kennel;house;barn;horse;hay;coat hat and remove the "coat" from the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: skunky
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete the last line if match the string

Hi, How to delete the last line if is match the below string else no action... String checking "END OF FILE. ROW COUNT: " 9f680174-cb87-4f71-887a-93b6f62fa5aa|20077337254|2 9f680174-cb87-4f71-887a-93b6f62fa5aa|20077337254|0 229f680174-cb87-4f71-887a-93b6f62fa5aa|20077337254|3 END OF... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all lines except a line starting with string

Shell : bash OS : RHEL 6.8 I have a file like below. $ cat pattern.txt hello txt1 txt2 txt3 some other text txt4 I want to remove all lines in this file except the ones starting with txt . How can I do this ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find string and delete before just in line?

Hello, When my lines contain question mark, I use below command to delete the portion of the matching line coming after question mark: sed 's/?.*//' SampleFile SampleFile: helloworldfirstline?mdksmyymsss hellosecondlineworld?mdksmkkmsss thirdhelloworld?mdksmccmsss Output:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
IO::Async::Handle(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    IO::Async::Handle(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::Handle" - event callbacks for a non-blocking file descriptor SYNOPSIS
This class is likely not to be used directly, because subclasses of it exist to handle more specific cases. Here is an example of how it would be used to watch a listening socket for new connections. In real code, it is likely that the "Loop->listen" method would be used instead. use IO::Socket::INET; use IO::Async::Handle; use IO::Async::Loop; my $loop = IO::Async::Loop->new; my $socket = IO::Socket::INET->new( LocalPort => 1234, Listen => 1 ); my $handle = IO::Async::Handle->new( handle => $socket, on_read_ready => sub { my $new_client = $socket->accept; ... }, ); $loop->add( $handle ); For most other uses with sockets, pipes or other filehandles that carry a byte stream, the IO::Async::Stream class is likely to be more suitable. For non-stream sockets, see IO::Async::Socket. DESCRIPTION
This subclass of IO::Async::Notifier allows non-blocking IO on filehandles. It provides event handlers for when the filehandle is read- or write-ready. EVENTS
The following events are invoked, either using subclass methods or CODE references in parameters: on_read_ready Invoked when the read handle becomes ready for reading. on_write_ready Invoked when the write handle becomes ready for writing. on_closed Optional. Invoked when the handle becomes closed. This handler is invoked before the filehandles are closed and the Handle removed from its containing Loop. The "loop" will still return the containing Loop object. PARAMETERS
The following named parameters may be passed to "new" or "configure": read_handle => IO write_handle => IO The reading and writing IO handles. Each must implement the "fileno" method. Primarily used for passing "STDIN" / "STDOUT"; see the SYNOPSIS section of "IO::Async::Stream" for an example. handle => IO The IO handle for both reading and writing; instead of passing each separately as above. Must implement "fileno" method in way that "IO::Handle" does. on_read_ready => CODE on_write_ready => CODE on_closed => CODE CODE references for event handlers. want_readready => BOOL want_writeready => BOOL If present, enable or disable read- or write-ready notification as per the "want_readready" and "want_writeready" methods. It is required that a matching "on_read_ready" or "on_write_ready" are available for any handle that is provided; either passed as a callback CODE reference or as an overridden the method. I.e. if only a "read_handle" is given, then "on_write_ready" can be absent. If "handle" is used as a shortcut, then both read and write-ready callbacks or methods are required. If no IO handles are provided at construction time, the object is still created but will not yet be fully-functional as a Handle. IO handles can be assigned later using the "set_handle" or "set_handles" methods, or by "configure". This may be useful when constructing an object to represent a network connection, before the connect(2) has actually been performed yet. METHODS
$handle->set_handles( %params ) Sets new reading or writing filehandles. Equivalent to calling the "configure" method with the same parameters. $handle->set_handle( $fh ) Shortcut for $handle->configure( handle => $fh ) $handle->close This method calls "close" on the underlying IO handles. This method will then remove the handle from its containing loop. $handle->close_read $handle->close_write Closes the underlying read or write handle, and deconfigures it from the object. Neither of these methods will invoke the "on_closed" event, nor remove the object from the Loop if there is still one open handle in the object. Only when both handles are closed, will "on_closed" be fired, and the object removed. $handle = $handle->read_handle $handle = $handle->write_handle These accessors return the underlying IO handles. $fileno = $handle->read_fileno $fileno = $handle->write_fileno These accessors return the file descriptor numbers of the underlying IO handles. $value = $handle->want_readready $oldvalue = $handle->want_readready( $newvalue ) $value = $handle->want_writeready $oldvalue = $handle->want_writeready( $newvalue ) These are the accessor for the "want_readready" and "want_writeready" properties, which define whether the object is interested in knowing about read- or write-readiness on the underlying file handle. SEE ALSO
o IO::Handle - Supply object methods for I/O handles AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::Handle(3pm)