Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Search and replace in text file Post 302563492 by dinesh1178 on Tuesday 11th of October 2011 11:18:54 AM
Old 10-11-2011
It can also be accomplished easily with :

perl -p -i -e 's/&/&amp/g' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating file search and replace text

Hi, I am trying something like this: Let's say I have a file called File1 with contents: x=-0.3 y=2.1 z=9.0 I have another file, File2, with contents: xx= yy= zz= (nothing after "="). What I want to do is get the value of x in File1 and set it to xx in File2, i.e., xx=-0.3. And the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ommatidia
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and replace text in same file

script is as below v_process_run=5 typeset -i p_cnt=0 pdata=/home/proc_data.log while do # execute script in background dummy_test.sh "a1" "a2" & p_cnt=$p_cnt+1 echo "data : $p_cnt : Y" >> $pdata done file created with following data in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vrgurav
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace a specific text in text file?

I have a text file with following content (3 lines) filename : output.txt first line:12/12/2008 second line:12/12/2008 third line:Y I would like to know how we can replace 'Y' with 'N' in the 3rd line keeping 1st and 2nd lines same as what it was before. I tried using cat output.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosham
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can search a String in one text file and replace the whole line in another file

i am very new to UNIX plz help me in this scenario i have two text files as below file1.txt name=Rajakumar. Discipline=Electronics and communication. Designation=software Engineer. file2.txt name=Kannan. Discipline=Mechanical. Designation=CADD Design Engineer. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace a text in a file

Hi all, I have a requirement where i have to search data between strings 'SELECT' and ';' and replace this text as "SELECT.....;" so that i can export this extracted string into a excel cell. Please suggest on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutam_igate
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

text file search and replace with awk

hello all greeting for the day i have a text file as the following text.xml abcd<FIELD>123.456</FIELD>efgh i need to replace the value between <FIELD> and </FIELD> by using awk command. please throw some light on this. thank you very very much Erik (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: erikshek
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search replace strings between single quotes in a text file

Hi There... I need to serach and replace a strings in a text file. My file has; books.amazon='Let me read' and the output needed is books.amazon=NONFOUND pls if anybody know this can be done in script sed or awk.. i have a list of different strings to be repced by NONFOUND.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiano
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

gawk script to search and replace text in a flat file

Hi I am new to unix and newbie to this forum. I need help in writing a gawk script that search and replace particular text in a flat file. Input file text : ZIDE_CONTROL000 100000000003869920900000300000001ISYNC 000002225489 0000000002232122 20120321 16:40:53 ZIDE_RECORD000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkausmel
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace from file in awk using a 16 bit text file

Hello, Some time ago a helpful awk file was provided on the forum which I give below: NR==FNR{A=$0;next}{for(j in A){split(A,P,"=");for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if($i==P){$i=P}}}}1 While it works beautifully on English and Latin characters i.e. within the ASCII range of 127, the moment a character beyond... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search field in text file and replace value

Hi there, First of all this is my first post here. Thank you in advance for your help. What I am trying to do is the following. I have a text file where each field of each row is separated by a tabulator. Looks like this: ATOM 1 N HSE A 26 3.033 -10.429 -2.262 1.00 17.07 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: doom4
8 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE is an integer and optional unit (example: 10M is 10*1024*1024). Units are K, M, G, T, P, E, Z, Y (powers of 1024) or KB, MB, ... (powers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationpro- ject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) The full documentation for truncate is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and truncate programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'truncate invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 TRUNCATE(1)