Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting NR==FNR trick for joining columns from two files Post 302563300 by danmero on Monday 10th of October 2011 09:20:20 PM
Old 10-10-2011
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[$4]=$0;next}a[$2]{sub($1,x);$0=a[$1]$0}1' OFS=\\t foo.txt bar.txt

Last edited by danmero; 10-10-2011 at 10:27 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining columns from two files, if the key matches

I am trying to join/paste columns from two files for the rows with matching first field. Any help will be appreciated. Files can not be sorted and may not have all rows in both files. Thanks. File1 aaa 111 bbb 222 ccc 333 File2 aaa sss mmmm ccc kkkk llll ddd xxx yyy Want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sk_sd
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining two files based on columns/fields

I've got two files, File1 and File2 File 1 has got combination of col1, col2 and col3 which comes on file2 as well, file2 does not get col4. Now based on col1, col2 and col3, I would like to get col4 from file1 and all the columns from file2 in a new file Any ideas? File1 ------ Col1 col2... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk NR==FNR compare 2 files produce a 3rd

hi, i have two files, both with 3 columns, the 3rd column has common values between the two files and i want to produce a 3rd file with 4 columns. file 1 a, ,b c file 2 a, b ,d I want to compare the 3rd value and if a match print to file 3 with the 3 columns from the first file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transposing column to row, joining with another file, then sorting columns

Hello! I am very new to Linux and I do not know where to begin... I have a column with >64,000 elements (that are not in numberical order) like this: name 2 5 9 . . . 64,000 I would like to transpose this column into a row that will later become the header of a very large file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doobedoo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with joining files and adding headers to files

Hi, I have about 20 tab delimited text files that have non sequential numbering such as: UCD2.summary.txt UCD45.summary.txt UCD56.summery.txt The first column of each file has the same number of lines and content. The next 2 column have data points: i.e UCD2.summary.txt: a 8.9 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrdavis
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Other alternative for joining together columns from multiple files

Hi again, I have monthly one-column files of roughly around 10 years. Is there a more efficient way to concatenate these files column-wise other than using paste command? For instance: file1.txt 12 13 15 12 file2.txt 14 15 18 19 file3.txt 20 21 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retain the unmatched columns while joining

I have 2 files file1 id city car type model 1 york subaru impreza king 2 kampala toyota corolla sissy 3 luzern chrysler gravity falcon file2 id name rating 3 zanzini PG 2 tara X when i use join sorted_file1 sorted_file2 >output i get something like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining different columns from multiple files

Hello again, I am trying to join 3rd column of 3 files into the end on one file and save it separately... my data looks like this file 1 Bob, Green, 80 Mark, Brown, 70 Tina, Smith, 60 file 2 Bob, Green, 70 Mark, Brown, 60 Tina, Smith, 50 file 3 Bob, Green, 50 Mark, Brown,60 Tina,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining files using awk not extracting all columns from File 2

Hello All I'm joining two files using Awk by Left outer join on the file 1 File 1 1 AA 2 BB 3 CC 4 DD File 2 1 IND 100 200 300 2 AUS 400 500 600 5 USA 700 800 900 (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat_reddy
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining Two Files Matching Two Columns

Hi All, I am looking to join two files where column 1 of file A matches with column 1 of file B and column 5 of files A matches with column 2 of file B. After joining the files based on above condition, out should contain entire line of file A and column 3, 4 and 5 of file B. Here is sample... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
8 Replies
File::Basename(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       File::Basename(3pm)

NAME
File::Basename - Parse file paths into directory, filename and suffix. SYNOPSIS
use File::Basename; ($name,$path,$suffix) = fileparse($fullname,@suffixlist); $name = fileparse($fullname,@suffixlist); $basename = basename($fullname,@suffixlist); $dirname = dirname($fullname); DESCRIPTION
These routines allow you to parse file paths into their directory, filename and suffix. NOTE: "dirname()" and "basename()" emulate the behaviours, and quirks, of the shell and C functions of the same name. See each function's documentation for details. If your concern is just parsing paths it is safer to use File::Spec's "splitpath()" and "splitdir()" methods. It is guaranteed that # Where $path_separator is / for Unix, for Windows, etc... dirname($path) . $path_separator . basename($path); is equivalent to the original path for all systems but VMS. "fileparse" my($filename, $directories, $suffix) = fileparse($path); my($filename, $directories, $suffix) = fileparse($path, @suffixes); my $filename = fileparse($path, @suffixes); The "fileparse()" routine divides a file path into its $directories, $filename and (optionally) the filename $suffix. $directories contains everything up to and including the last directory separator in the $path including the volume (if applicable). The remainder of the $path is the $filename. # On Unix returns ("baz", "/foo/bar/", "") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz"); # On Windows returns ("baz", 'C:fooar', "") fileparse('C:fooaraz'); # On Unix returns ("", "/foo/bar/baz/", "") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz/"); If @suffixes are given each element is a pattern (either a string or a "qr//") matched against the end of the $filename. The matching portion is removed and becomes the $suffix. # On Unix returns ("baz", "/foo/bar/", ".txt") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz.txt", qr/.[^.]*/); If type is non-Unix (see "fileparse_set_fstype") then the pattern matching for suffix removal is performed case-insensitively, since those systems are not case-sensitive when opening existing files. You are guaranteed that "$directories . $filename . $suffix" will denote the same location as the original $path. "basename" my $filename = basename($path); my $filename = basename($path, @suffixes); This function is provided for compatibility with the Unix shell command basename(1). It does NOT always return the file name portion of a path as you might expect. To be safe, if you want the file name portion of a path use "fileparse()". "basename()" returns the last level of a filepath even if the last level is clearly directory. In effect, it is acting like "pop()" for paths. This differs from "fileparse()"'s behaviour. # Both return "bar" basename("/foo/bar"); basename("/foo/bar/"); @suffixes work as in "fileparse()" except all regex metacharacters are quoted. # These two function calls are equivalent. my $filename = basename("/foo/bar/baz.txt", ".txt"); my $filename = fileparse("/foo/bar/baz.txt", qr/Q.txtE/); Also note that in order to be compatible with the shell command, "basename()" does not strip off a suffix if it is identical to the remaining characters in the filename. "dirname" This function is provided for compatibility with the Unix shell command dirname(1) and has inherited some of its quirks. In spite of its name it does NOT always return the directory name as you might expect. To be safe, if you want the directory name of a path use "fileparse()". Only on VMS (where there is no ambiguity between the file and directory portions of a path) and AmigaOS (possibly due to an implementation quirk in this module) does "dirname()" work like "fileparse($path)", returning just the $directories. # On VMS and AmigaOS my $directories = dirname($path); When using Unix or MSDOS syntax this emulates the dirname(1) shell function which is subtly different from how "fileparse()" works. It returns all but the last level of a file path even if the last level is clearly a directory. In effect, it is not returning the directory portion but simply the path one level up acting like "chop()" for file paths. Also unlike "fileparse()", "dirname()" does not include a trailing slash on its returned path. # returns /foo/bar. fileparse() would return /foo/bar/ dirname("/foo/bar/baz"); # also returns /foo/bar despite the fact that baz is clearly a # directory. fileparse() would return /foo/bar/baz/ dirname("/foo/bar/baz/"); # returns '.'. fileparse() would return 'foo/' dirname("foo/"); Under VMS, if there is no directory information in the $path, then the current default device and directory is used. "fileparse_set_fstype" my $type = fileparse_set_fstype(); my $previous_type = fileparse_set_fstype($type); Normally File::Basename will assume a file path type native to your current operating system (ie. /foo/bar style on Unix, fooar on Windows, etc...). With this function you can override that assumption. Valid $types are "MacOS", "VMS", "AmigaOS", "OS2", "RISCOS", "MSWin32", "DOS" (also "MSDOS" for backwards bug compatibility), "Epoc" and "Unix" (all case-insensitive). If an unrecognized $type is given "Unix" will be assumed. If you've selected VMS syntax, and the file specification you pass to one of these routines contains a "/", they assume you are using Unix emulation and apply the Unix syntax rules instead, for that function call only. SEE ALSO
dirname(1), basename(1), File::Spec perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 File::Basename(3pm)