Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cat Help needed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cat Help needed Post 302563261 by gary_w on Monday 10th of October 2011 03:14:41 PM
Old 10-10-2011
This is a useless use of cat as you don't need it in the first place. Eliminate it and save some overhead. Good habit to get into.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ess_use_of_cat

Once you get your file path and case issues worked out, try this:
Code:
grep -i orig_mscid k1.txt | sort | uniq -c

Other good habits are explicitly exiting 0 for success at the end, and using a variable for the filename and define it at the top so if it changes, you only have one place to edit.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
filename=k1.txt
echo "Lucent MSC1"  
echo "==========="  
echo "Orig_MSCID Summary Top 10"  
grep -i orig_mscid ${filename} | sort | uniq -c 
echo "Hourly Summary"  
grep "#" ${filename} | cut -c 10-11 | uniq -c  
echo Bye
exit 0

Last edited by gary_w; 10-10-2011 at 04:21 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cat file

I want to cat a file with only show the line contain '/bin/bash' but don't show the line contain 'load' (don't show if the line contain 'load' and '/bin/bash' together), how to type in the command? thk a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in `cat myname.txt` && for y in `cat yourname.txt`

cat myname.txt John Doe I John Doe II John Doe III ----------------------------------------------------------------------- for i in `cat myname.txt` do echo This is my name: $i >> thi.is.my.name.txt done ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danimad
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat command help

I want to concatenate 100 files to one file and append file name in each record to find out which file it came from for a in $(<shal_group) do cat $a >> bigoutput.group The above code put all files in one file but i want file name appended to each file Record should be like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

for cat help

Hi there, I have the following problem. I have a csv file which looks like 'AGI,ABJ,Y,Y,Y,None,EQUATION,ANY,ANY,None,' 'AGI,ABJ,Y,Y,Y,None,EQUATION HEAVY,ANY,ANY,None,' 'AGI,ABJ,Y,Y,Y,None,VARIATION,ANY,ANY,None,' but I do this for ab in $(cat test.csv); do echo $ab; done in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sickboy
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding Cat

Can we concatenate say, I have a few files prefixing with 2009... So now i want all the 2009 files into one single file.. Can this be achieved???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat question

hello! why this works? cd /home/user cat * | ecasound -i stdin -o jack and this doesn't? cd /home/user/somedirectory cat * | ecasound -i stdin -o jack somedirectory are full with exe files which are the best source for this sort of noise thing (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlhungus
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cat with << >>

Hi, When I was analyzing the code I got below line. cat - << 'EOF' >> ${FILE PATH} I surfed net to understand but I couldn't get what is about. Please help me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
2 Replies
IS_WRITABLE(3)								 1							    IS_WRITABLE(3)

is_writable - Tells whether the filename is writable

SYNOPSIS
bool is_writable (string $filename) DESCRIPTION
Returns TRUE if the $filename exists and is writable. The filename argument may be a directory name allowing you to check if a directory is writable. Keep in mind that PHP may be accessing the file as the user id that the web server runs as (often 'nobody'). Safe mode limitations are not taken into account. PARAMETERS
o $filename - The filename being checked. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if the $filename exists and is writable. EXAMPLES
Example #1 is_writable(3) example <?php $filename = 'test.txt'; if (is_writable($filename)) { echo 'The file is writable'; } else { echo 'The file is not writable'; } ?> ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Upon failure, an E_WARNING is emitted. NOTES
Note The results of this function are cached. See clearstatcache(3) for more details. Tip As of PHP 5.0.0, this function can also be used with some URL wrappers. Refer to "Supported Protocols and Wrappers" to determine which wrappers support stat(3) family of functionality. SEE ALSO
is_readable(3), file_exists(3), fwrite(3). PHP Documentation Group IS_WRITABLE(3)