Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add extra columns help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Add extra columns help Post 302563228 by saggiboy10 on Monday 10th of October 2011 11:42:59 AM
Old 10-10-2011
lets say i have a file separated by a tab delimiter

Ex:

Code:
abc   bbc  cbz  ddd

Now , i want to add a column xxx....The above script works fine...But now
I need to add one other column yyy..the script works fine..but when i re-import i see that this is marked as a single column despite being separated by a tab..

i want

Code:
yyy  xxx  abc  bbc   cbz  ddd.........

xxx and yyy shud be tab separated.

Last edited by radoulov; 10-10-2011 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

manipulating csv to add extra row

hi how do i manipulate .csv file to add an extra row after each row using shell script? I need a blank line added for each 1000 records in my file? I will then need to copy and paste some data in the blank row created. thanks 4 ur support neil (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil546
3 Replies

2. Linux

How to add and extra hour to the start time

Hi Actually what am trying to ask is , i have an shell script ,now i want to run this shell script for one hour continuously and after one hour it has to stop automatically. can any one suggest me how to automate the shell script ? we tried wth the getting the start time and add ing an hour... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitka
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to flip values of two columns and add an extra column

Hi guys, Couldn't find the solution of this problem. Please Help! I have a file- Input_File TC200232 92 30 TC215306 2 74 TC210135 42 14 I want an output file in which if column2>column3, the values are swapped and an additional column with value Rev_Com is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command for add 2 columns and remove 2 columns in unix/performance tuning

Hi all, I have created a script which adding two columns and removing two columns for all files. Filename: Cust_information_1200_201010.txt Source Data: "1","Cust information","123","106001","street","1-203 high street" "1","Cust information","124","105001","street","1-203 high street" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove extra characters and sum the columns

I have data extracted like this: A=%123% B=%456% C=%789% A=%111% B=%222% C=%333% A=%777% B=%888% C=%999% Can someone please help me with a script to remove all the % signs and get the totals for A, B and C. So output will be: A=1368 B=666 C=2664 Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tatchel
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To Add extra commas to a CSV file.

Hi All, I got this requirement to process a complex CSV file. Eg File. Line 1: Name:,XYz Line 2: Age:,15 Line 3: Grade:,7 Line 4: Line 5: English, Maths, Science,Spanish Line 6:10,11,13,14 As you can see the maximum column is 4 . The file i need to make is Line 1: Name:,XYz,,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Randomly inserting extra columns into csv file

Hi Tech Guru, I have a test file as below , which needs some more fields to be populated randomly : dks3243;12;20130823;1420;25m;0;syt dks3243;rocy;10 dks3243;kiop;18 sde21p4;77;20151210;8479;7py;9;vfr sde21p4;temp;67 sfq6i01;12;20120123;3412;4rd;7;jui sfq6i01;uymk;90 sfq6i01;kiop;51 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request: How to Parse dynamic SQL query to pad extra columns to match the fixed number of columns

Hello All, I have a requirement in which i will be given a sql query as input in a file with dynamic number of columns. For example some times i will get 5 columns, some times 8 columns etc up to 20 columns. So my requirement is to generate a output query which will have 20 columns all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_trl
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Insert three extra columns in csv file

Hello Experts, I got a requirement i have a input file which am getting from different source,Now i want to add extra 3 columns to this file like BASE,ACTUAL and DATE. Input File Looks like QUAL CHGE TYP LAW COM1 COM2 A 1 X SED HO ASE B 3 Z CDE SE ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed.vaghar
5 Replies

10. Solaris

How do I add extra ZFS swap in Solaris 11.3?

Hello, I have given 3 x 1 TB LUNs to add more swap space in a Solaris 11.3 OS -bash-4.4# swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap 303,1 16 8388592 8388592 -bash-4.4# swap -s total: 84780376k bytes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: feroccimx
5 Replies
STRTOK(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 STRTOK(3)

NAME
strtok, strtok_r - extract tokens from strings SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char *strtok(char *str, const char *delim); char *strtok_r(char *str, const char *delim, char **saveptr); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): strtok_r(): _SVID_SOURCE || _BSD_SOURCE || _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 1 || _XOPEN_SOURCE || _POSIX_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The strtok() function parses a string into a sequence of tokens. On the first call to strtok() the string to be parsed should be specified in str. In each subsequent call that should parse the same string, str should be NULL. The delim argument specifies a set of characters that delimit the tokens in the parsed string. The caller may specify different strings in delim in successive calls that parse the same string. Each call to strtok() returns a pointer to a null-terminated string containing the next token. This string does not include the delimiting character. If no more tokens are found, strtok() returns NULL. A sequence of two or more contiguous delimiter characters in the parsed string is considered to be a single delimiter. Delimiter charac- ters at the start or end of the string are ignored. Put another way: the tokens returned by strtok() are always nonempty strings. The strtok_r() function is a reentrant version strtok(). The saveptr argument is a pointer to a char * variable that is used internally by strtok_r() in order to maintain context between successive calls that parse the same string. On the first call to strtok_r(), str should point to the string to be parsed, and the value of saveptr is ignored. In subsequent calls, str should be NULL, and saveptr should be unchanged since the previous call. Different strings may be parsed concurrently using sequences of calls to strtok_r() that specify different saveptr arguments. RETURN VALUE
The strtok() and strtok_r() functions return a pointer to the next token, or NULL if there are no more tokens. CONFORMING TO
strtok() SVr4, POSIX.1-2001, 4.3BSD, C89, C99. strtok_r() POSIX.1-2001. BUGS
Be cautious when using these functions. If you do use them, note that: * These functions modify their first argument. * These functions cannot be used on constant strings. * The identity of the delimiting character is lost. * The strtok() function uses a static buffer while parsing, so it's not thread safe. Use strtok_r() if this matters to you. EXAMPLE
The program below uses nested loops that employ strtok_r() to break a string into a two-level hierarchy of tokens. The first command-line argument specifies the string to be parsed. The second argument specifies the delimiter character(s) to be used to separate that string into "major" tokens. The third argument specifies the delimiter character(s) to be used to separate the "major" tokens into subtokens. An example of the output produced by this program is the following: $ ./a.out 'a/bbb///cc;xxx:yyy:' ':;' '/' 1: a/bbb///cc --> a --> bbb --> cc 2: xxx --> xxx 3: yyy --> yyy Program source #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { char *str1, *str2, *token, *subtoken; char *saveptr1, *saveptr2; int j; if (argc != 4) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s string delim subdelim ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } for (j = 1, str1 = argv[1]; ; j++, str1 = NULL) { token = strtok_r(str1, argv[2], &saveptr1); if (token == NULL) break; printf("%d: %s ", j, token); for (str2 = token; ; str2 = NULL) { subtoken = strtok_r(str2, argv[3], &saveptr2); if (subtoken == NULL) break; printf(" --> %s ", subtoken); } } exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } /* main */ SEE ALSO
index(3), memchr(3), rindex(3), strchr(3), string(3), strpbrk(3), strsep(3), strspn(3), strstr(3), wcstok(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-09-20 STRTOK(3)