Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Switch user inside shell script Post 302563084 by prarat on Monday 10th of October 2011 05:16:28 AM
Old 10-10-2011
Switch user inside shell script

Hi,
I am trying to create one script where I have to login as another user inside the script to exeute some commands
How can i achieve this?

Many thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

switch user inside a script

Hi, I wrote a unix script that will perform differnt tasks on bahalf of number of users. I use "sudo" to run the script. The problem is when I execute the command: su - user -c "xxx " > output_file, I get the system output header frm the su command. Is there a way to get rid of it instdead of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

switch user inside a script

Hi Is there any way to switch user inside a shell script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching user inside a shell script

Dear All, I want to switch a user inside a shell script.My current user say x and user y to whom i want to switch both have login on the same server,the one on which i want to execute my script on. "I want to do something like this su - y Password should be provided in the script itself.And... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: navjotmannan
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switch User in within a Shell Script

Hi Experts, I'm trying to write a shell script to stop few things where i have to use another user to execute a command. Otherwise it will not work. Your help is really appreciated Thanks, (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afi_Linux
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to switch user using shell script ?

Hi, script1.sh script2.sh script3.sh From above, script1.sh is the main script which is executed from root user, creates installation directory, changing ownership and execution rights etc..etc.. and finally calls scripot2.sh and script3.sh to create the database as well as for post... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milink
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to login as a different user inside a shell script?

hi, i want to login as a different user inside a shell script and then call another shell script from that script. how to do that? original script : script_A.sh so when the script_A.sh is called , i want to login as a different user and then call another shell script(script_B.sh) from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to switch the user before executing a shell script from web page??

hi, i want to execute a shell script as a different user. the flow is like this. there is a html web page from which i have to call a shell script. web server is apache. to call the shell script from html page, a perl script is required. so the html page calls the perl script and the perl... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switch user without password inside shell

I want to switch to another user without password inside shell. I used the below command and it is not working. sudo su - user1 user1 is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported. I'm getting the above message. If I want to add user1 into the sudoers file using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Switch from Local user to root user from a shell script?

Hi, I need to switch from local user to root user in a shell script. I need to make it automated so that it doesn't prompt for the root password. I heard the su command will do that work but it prompt for the password. and also can someone tell me whether su command spawns a new shell or... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to switch user in shell script?

HI in a server we can't login with root user directly but i can login with different user and then i can switch to root user by su command Requirement is there anyway where i can write a script without mentioning password in file as mentioning the root password is not the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD