Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux root filesystem goes readonly Post 302562842 by robo on Saturday 8th of October 2011 02:47:13 PM
Old 10-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
What is your disk device? Some flash devices have a 'read only' tab.

Also, check your dmesg. Disk errors can force a filesystem to go read-only.
i checked the dmesg found a journal error which i dont rememmber Smilie now

---------- Post updated at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdepollo
If the disk was in rw mode and it suddently went ro, then I suspect you've hit this bug which is pretty common on RHEL4:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=197158
oh thank you verdepollo

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mounted Root Filesystem

In my Solaris 10 based server, I have noticed the following mounts when a use DF -K /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 5062414 3213876 1797914 65% / / 5062414 3213876 1797914 65% /net/se420 I understand the first mount because it appears in my vfstab file and is the mount of root that I would expect.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

2. Linux

/root filesystem size is full

hi in my server ( / ) root filesystem size is full how to reduce the size and what are the files i want to remove. i need answer for linux and AIX also. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chomca
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Move root filesystem to other slice

Hi, df -h display: # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 9.8G 8.1G 1.7G 84% / /proc 0K 0K 0K 0% /proc mnttab 0K 0K 0K 0% /etc/mnttab fd 0K 0K 0K 0% /dev/fd swap 1.0G 152K 1.0G 1% /var/run swap 1.1G 24M 1.0G 3% /tmp /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s3 57G 13G 43G 24%... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Root Filesystem

Hi, Can we install root file system on other than 0th slice???? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathiraju_t
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root filesystem filling up!

Hi all. New to the forum and new to Unix admin... / filesystem filled up and I can't find where the large files are. Any help will be apppreciated: # df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 8063580 7941745 41200 100% / /proc ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
4 Replies

6. Linux

Encrypt already install root filesystem

All, Is there a way to encrypt my Ubuntu root HD after installation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Resizing the Root Filesystem

Is it possible to increase the root filesystem size without reboot ?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Root Access not working as FileSystem in ReadOnly Mode

Hi Experts I am facing a problem wherein Root Access not working as FileSystem in ReadOnly Mode. Due to a Disk failure, my Filesystem went into Read-Only mode: report@xx> grep root /proc/mounts /dev/root / ext3 ro,data=ordered 0 0 Now, I am not able to login using root user on the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navkanwal
5 Replies
JOURNAL_ABORT(9)					     The Linux Journalling API						  JOURNAL_ABORT(9)

NAME
journal_abort - Shutdown the journal immediately. SYNOPSIS
void journal_abort(journal_t * journal, int errno); ARGUMENTS
journal the journal to shutdown. errno an error number to record in the journal indicating the reason for the shutdown. DESCRIPTION
Perform a complete, immediate shutdown of the ENTIRE journal (not of a single transaction). This operation cannot be undone without closing and reopening the journal. The journal_abort function is intended to support higher level error recovery mechanisms such as the ext2/ext3 remount-readonly error mode. Journal abort has very specific semantics. Any existing dirty, unjournaled buffers in the main filesystem will still be written to disk by bdflush, but the journaling mechanism will be suspended immediately and no further transaction commits will be honoured. Any dirty, journaled buffers will be written back to disk without hitting the journal. Atomicity cannot be guaranteed on an aborted filesystem, but we _do_ attempt to leave as much data as possible behind for fsck to use for cleanup. Any attempt to get a new transaction handle on a journal which is in ABORT state will just result in an -EROFS error return. A journal_stop on an existing handle will return -EIO if we have entered abort state during the update. Recursive transactions are not disturbed by journal abort until the final journal_stop, which will receive the -EIO error. Finally, the journal_abort call allows the caller to supply an errno which will be recorded (if possible) in the journal superblock. This allows a client to record failure conditions in the middle of a transaction without having to complete the transaction to record the failure to disk. ext3_error, for example, now uses this functionality. Errors which originate from within the journaling layer will NOT supply an errno; a null errno implies that absolutely no further writes are done to the journal (unless there are any already in progress). AUTHORS
Roger Gammans <rgammans@computer-surgery.co.uk> Author. Stephen Tweedie <sct@redhat.com> Author. COPYRIGHT
Kernel Hackers Manual 3.10 June 2014 JOURNAL_ABORT(9)