Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux (ASK) Question about linux network... Post 302562834 by hartz on Saturday 8th of October 2011 01:21:45 PM
Old 10-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by busoh.sensen
last -i ==> this just local pc
Are you sure that someone (you?) did log in into the Linux computer from another computer?

"last -i" shows ALL logins, from anywhere.

"last -i | grep 192" will filter the output from last -i and show only the lines which has got 192. The "| grep 192" is a second, independent command which filters the output from the first command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busoh.sensen
but, the good news my laptop is detect from another windows pc. any idea/ways to knows another IP in my network (LAN)?
I am not sure that I understand the question. I did explain how to perform broadcast ping. What IP are you looking for?

To find out your own IP address on the Linux computer, run ifconfig.

On the Windows computer, install "putty". Putty can login to a remote Linux or Unix computer ... but only if the Linux computer is configured to allow logins from remotely.

In the good old days Linux computers used to allow this by default. Now many Linux distributions do not include the software to allow remote login by default. For example Ubuntu Server version includes an SSH daemon, but Ubuntu desktop version does not.

In Ubuntu or Debian or any derivative Linux or any linux that uses APT for software package management, run this command to install the SSH daemon:

sudo apt-get install sshd

Note: Many Unix services are called daemons.

It will find the software, download it, install it, configure it and activate it automatically.

To check if your computer allows remote login via SSH, run this command:

netstat -a | grep -i ssh

If there is something that states LISTENING then you can connect with an SSH client such as "Putty".

P.S You are not disturbing. Feel free to ask as many questions, but you should also try to google search to find these answers. I do know however that the "vocabulary" is new and in the beginning it is difficult to know what to google and how to sift through the plethora of results that you get. I still struggle with it and I've only been using Unix since 1989 and Linux since 1991.
This User Gave Thanks to hartz For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network question

Hey, Just need a little help I'm not sure wat I should do. We have several little networks setup for testing different things. One of these networks we need to have running at full dulpex. Right now we run 2 hubs (to go off to 2 differnt parts) and they are half dulpex hubs. Is is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies

2. Linux

Red-hat AS 2.1 network question

I have setup a AS 2.1 server with no X running or installed. I need to know how to configure the IP and such from command line and change it from DHCP. We used DHCP at first since we didn't know the IP we were going to use and now I need to change it. Any help would be great as Redhat's site just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Acleoma
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris Network question

I have a machine that has developed a strange network problem. Anytime it sends an FTP file somewherwe, no problem. When it is the target machine, extremely slow. I checked the /var/adm/messages file and found a few of these: SUNW,hme0 : No response from Ethernet network : Link down -- cable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network noobie question

This is my first attempt in installing a netbsd ever. I'm trying to get myself familiar with some commands and how things work in unix and so far i never knew its this fun. Anyway, unix is our elective here in school and school is gonna start 2 weeks. I'm just trying to get a headstart on this :D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3rr0r_3rr0r
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

network set up question

1) how do i know my NIC speed if its 10//100??? 2)how do i setup by NIC to full duplex 3) any help on setting up etherchannel for NIC failover (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 Network Question

I am new to Solaris and have been searching around for this answer and I think I figured it out but I wanted to run it by you folks. I was trying to figure out if the network on this Solaris 10 machine was set up for 100 Full Duplex. I think from this output that it is 100 full duplex, am I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multi-network question

Hi, I have a linux machine connected to 2 networks, with devices eth0 and eth1. When I give the command host whatever, how do I now which network is searched for the DNS's ? Is there a default ethernet device for network related commands ? How do I change it ? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mik
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

network question

Hi here is my question; any help would be appreciated The Linux system pokey has two Ethernet cards. The first Ethernet card is connected to a companywide TCP/IP network covering the addresses 87.65.43.xx, where pokey's address is 87.65.43.21. The second Ethernet interface is connected to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scofiled83
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

Network question

Folks; I have 2 SUSE servers similar in all configuration & both on the same network (192.168.151.10 & 192.168.151.11) with the same default gateway of 192.168.151.1 and the same netmask of 255.255.255.0 and the same firewall configuration the first one works fine and i can ssh to it & i can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat - network question

Hi, I am on Redhat 5. on the /etc/sysconfig/network file I don't see GATEWAY as one line. I also checked /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. I don't see GATEWAY. But on the server. But when I do netstat -rn. I see many address. Is there some other settings ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies
SYSTEMSETUP(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    SYSTEMSETUP(8)

NAME
systemsetup -- configuration tool for certain machine settings in System Preferences. SYNOPSIS
systemsetup [-getdate] [-setdate mm:dd:yy] [-gettime] [-settime hh:mm:ss] [-gettimezone] [-listtimezones] [-settimezone timezone] [-getusingnetworktime] [-setusingnetworktime on | off] [-getnetworktimeserver] [-setnetworktimeserver timeserver] [-getsleep] [-setsleep minutes] [-getcomputersleep] [-setcomputersleep minutes] [-getdisplaysleep] [-setdisplaysleep minutes] [-getharddisksleep] [-setharddisksleep minutes] [-getwakeonmodem] [-setwakeonmodem on | off] [-getwakeonnetworkaccess] [-setwakeonnetworkaccess on | off] [-getrestartpowerfailure] [-setrestartpowerfailure on | off] [-getrestartfreeze] [-setrestartfreeze on | off] [-getallowpowerbuttontosleepcomputer] [-setallowpowerbuttontosleepcomputer on | off] [-getremotelogin] [-setremotelogin on | off] [-getremoteappleevents] [-setremoteappleevents on | off] [-getcomputername] [-setcomputername computername] [-getstartupdisk] [-liststartupdisks] [-setstartupdisk path] [-getwaitforstartupafterpowerfailure] [-setwaitforstartupafterpowerfailure value] [-getdisablekeyboardwhenenclosurelockisengaged] [-setdisablekeyboardwhenenclosurelockisengaged yes | no] [-getkernelbootarchitecturesetting] [-setkernelbootarchitecture i386 | x86_64 | default] [-version] [-help] [-printCommands] DESCRIPTION
The systemsetup command is used to configure certain per-machine settings typically configured in the System Preferences application. The systemsetup command requires at least "admin" privileges to run. A list of flags and their descriptions: -getdate Displays the current date. -setdate mm:dd:yy Use this command to set the current month, day, and year. -gettime Displays the current time in 24-hour format. -settime hh:mm:ss Sets the current time. The provided time argument should be in 24-hour format. -gettimezone Displays current time zone. -listtimezones Lists all time zones supported by this machine. -settimezone timezone Use this command to set the local time zone. Use "-listtimezones" to list valid timezone arguments. -getusingnetworktime Displays whether network time is on or off. -setusingnetworktime on | off Sets whether using network time is on or off. -getnetworktimeserver Displays the currently set network time server. -setnetworktimeserver timeserver Use this command to designate a network time server. Enter the IP address or DNS name for the network time server. -getsleep Displays amount of idle time until machine sleeps. -setsleep minutes Sets amount of idle time until computer sleeps. Specify "Never" or "Off" for computers that should never sleep. Important: if you set the system to sleep, you will not be able to administer the server remotely while it is sleeping. -getcomputersleep Display amount of idle time until computer sleeps. -setcomputersleep minutes Set amount of idle time until computer sleeps. Specify "Never" or "Off" for never. -getdisplaysleep Display amount of idle time until display sleeps. -setdisplaysleep minutes Set amount of idle time until display sleeps. Specify "Never" or "Off" for never. -getharddisksleep Display amount of idle time until hard disk sleeps. Specify "Never" or "Off" for never. -setharddisksleep minutes Set amount of idle time until hard disk sleeps. Specify "Never" or "Off" for never. -getwakeonmodem Displays whether wake on modem is on or off. -setwakeonmodem on | off Use this command to specify whether or not the server will wake from sleep when modem activity is detected. -getwakeonnetworkaccess Displays whether wake on network access is on or off. -setwakeonnetworkaccess on | off Use this command to specify whether the server wakes from sleep when a network admin packet is sent to it. -getrestartpowerfailure Displays whether restart on power failure is on or off. -setrestartpowerfailure on | off Use this command to specify whether the server automatically restarts after a power failure. -getrestartfreeze Displays whether restart on freeze is on or off. -setrestartfreeze on | off Use this command to specify whether the server restarts automatically after the system freezes. -getallowpowerbuttontosleepcomputer Enable or disable whether the power button can sleep the computer. -setallowpowerbuttontosleepcomputer on | off Enable or disable whether the power button can sleep the computer. -getremotelogin Displays whether remote login (SSH) is on or off. -setremotelogin [-f] on | off Sets remote login (SSH) to either on or off. Important If you turn off remote login, you won't be able to administer the server using remote command line tools and SSH. To turn remote login back on, you'll need to connect a monitor and keyboard to the server to administer it locally. Use "setremotelogin -f off" to suppress prompting when turning remote login off. -getremoteappleevents Displays whether remote apple events are on or off. -setremoteappleevents on | off Use this command to set whether the server responds to events sent by other computers (such as AppleScripts). -getcomputername Displays computer name. -setcomputername computername Sets computer name to <computername>. This name is used by AFP. -getlocalsubnetname Display local subnet name. -setlocalsubnetname name Set local subnet name to <name>. -getstartupdisk Displays current startup disk. -liststartupdisks Lists all valid startup disks on this computer. -setstartupdisk path Sets current startup disk to the indicated path. Valid arguments can be listed using "-liststartupdisks." -getwaitforstartupafterpowerfailure Get the number of seconds after which the computer will start up after a power failure. -setwaitforstartupafterpowerfailure seconds Set the number of seconds after which the computer will start up after a power failure. The <seconds> value must be a multiple of 30 seconds. -getdisablekeyboardwhenenclosurelockisengaged Get whether or not the keyboard should be disabled when the X Serve enclosure lock is engaged. -setdisablekeyboardwhenenclosurelockisengaged yes | no Set whether or not the keyboard should be disabled when the X Serve enclosure lock is engaged. -getkernelbootarchitecturesetting Gets the Kernel Architecture setting from the com.apple.Boot.plist. -setkernelbootarchitecture i386 | x86_64 | default Set the kernel to boot in 32 or 64 bit mode on next boot. default removes the setting. -version Displays version of systemsetup tool. -help Displays a list of all the commands available in the System Setup Tool, with explanatory information. -printCommands Displays a list of commands with no detail. EXAMPLES
systemsetup -setdate 04:15:02 systemsetup -settime 16:20:00 systemsetup -settimezone US/Pacific systemsetup -setnetworktimeserver time.apple.com FILES
/usr/sbin/systemsetup SEE ALSO
networksetup(8) Mac OS X April 15, 2002 Mac OS X