Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 10 + mpxio Path
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 + mpxio Path Post 302562595 by general_lee on Friday 7th of October 2011 11:14:46 AM
Old 10-07-2011
Solaris 10 + mpxio Path

Hi,

I have an Oracle/Sun T3-2 Server with a duel SAS controller Fujitsu DX60 array attached.

I have 2 x SAS HBA's in the T3-2. One HBA cabled to CM0 and one HBA cabled to CM1 of the array.

The array is setup with one RAID GROUP and one VOLUME and one LUN

In Solaris I can see one device under format and mpathadm see the paths to o the LUN.

I want to test failover before I continue building this array. But path failover is failing;

Code:
bash-3.2# mpathadm failover lu /dev/rdsk/c6t600000E00D0000000003142900000000d0s2
mpathadm:  Error: The logical unit doesn't support explicit state change.
mpathadm: Unable to complete operation
bash-3.2#

My paths look like this, note I have an "active not optimized" path, all the docs I have read would suggest the Access State should be active or standby. So what does my Access State of "active not optimized" mean?

Code:
bash-3.2# mpathadm show lu /dev/rdsk/c6t600000E00D0000000003142900000000d0s2
Logical Unit:  /dev/rdsk/c6t600000E00D0000000003142900000000d0s2
        mpath-support:  libmpscsi_vhci.so
        Vendor:  FUJITSU 
        Product:  ETERNUS_DXL     
        Revision:  0000
        Name Type:  unknown type
        Name:  600000e00d0000000003142900000000
        Asymmetric:  yes
        Current Load Balance:  round-robin
        Logical Unit Group ID:  NA
        Auto Failback:  on
        Auto Probing:  NA

Paths:  
                Initiator Port Name:  500605b0025cead0
                Target Port Name:  500000e0d0d42986
                Override Path:  NA
                Path State:  OK
                Disabled:  no

Initiator Port Name:  500605b0026858d0
                Target Port Name:  500000e0d0d42906
                Override Path:  NA
                Path State:  OK
                Disabled:  no

Target Port Groups:  
                ID:  17
                Explicit Failover:  no
                Access State:  active not optimized
                Target Ports:
                        Name:  500000e0d0d42986
                        Relative ID:  65

ID:  16
                Explicit Failover:  no
                Access State:  active optimized
                Target Ports:
                        Name:  500000e0d0d42906
                        Relative ID:  64

My boot messages look like this;

Code:
bash-3.2# dmesg | grep multipath
Oct  7 10:42:09 perwinldom01 genunix: [ID 483743 kern.info] /scsi_vhci/disk@g600000e00d0000000003142900000000 (sd0) multipath status: degraded: path 1 mpt_sas8/disk@w500000e0d0d42986,0 is online
Oct  7 10:42:09 perwinldom01 genunix: [ID 530209 kern.info] /scsi_vhci/disk@g600000e00d0000000003142900000000 (sd0) multipath status: optimal: path 2 mpt_sas9/disk@w500000e0d0d42906,0 is online: Load balancing: round-robin

I have not edited any /kernel/drv files nor had to stmsboot, this is a new install, thus far everything has been dynamic.

If you guys could help me test my path failover that would be great.

Thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

path name for Solaris 8 ?

hello all, instead of type pwd everytime to find down where I am at. is there a command set prompt to put in to your profile on shell so it invisible every you type cd? thanks in advance... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phapvn
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Mpxio

Hi All, I have one question. I found out that my system setting for mpxio-disable=yes. Sun recommend to change it to mpxio-disable=no and run stmsboot -e command. But no one can tell will it affect the system or not and the system is sol-10 and using veritas volume manager and attached... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailbox80
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Mpxio

Hi, I have a quick question. How can I see MPXIO statistics (like errors, how many I/O|throuput per path, ....) on Solaris 10? Does maybe a ready dtrace script exist (I do not have the knowledge to write one myself)? I would be happy if somebody knows some good documentation/links (with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: victorinox
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

VxVM and MPxIO

:confused: Last week I read that VxVM won't work with MPxIO (i don't recall the link) and that it should be unconfigured when installing VxVM. Today I read that VxVM works in "pass-thru" mode with MPxIO and DMP uses the devices presented by MPxIO. If I create disks with MPxIO and use VxVM to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

MPxIO question

Greetings Forumers!! I was given a T2000 with one, dual port, HBA card. The card had one fiber connection to the SAN and the former admin enabled MPxIO. Yesterday, I learned that the other port was connected to the same SAN. This system is in another city so I don't have physical access to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 - QLogic 4060C iSCSI adapter - multipathed (MPxIO)

System: Sun M3000 and M4000 OS: Solaris 10 (fully up to date with latest patches) iSCSI HBA: 2x QLE4060C (QLogic) In each system are 2 QLE4060C iSCSI adapters. I manage to set up both HBA's to connect to the LUNs on the SAN However I don't manage to enable multi-pathing. Made the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb008
4 Replies

7. Solaris

MPXIO

Hi Kudo, I wanna to know that how can I do mpxio device name to os native name mapping without using stmsboot -L I tried everything still not able to got the solution till I able to get these o/p here is native disk info as well physical wat is the logical OS name of the disk ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tarunn.dubeyy
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 MPXIO doesn't recover path failure

I have been running some tests with solaris mpxio, dual-pathed to HDS SAN storage. When I take a path offline, Solaris recognised this and a path is shown as offline in luxadm display <device>. However, it does not recover on reinstatement of the path until I run cfgadm -al. Any ideas? Phil (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UKPhil
3 Replies

9. Solaris

solaris turn off multipath mpxio

Im not able to turn the multipath off on the solaris s10 X86...since im on FC boot.. if i disable multipath , from /kernel/drv/iscsi.conf then im not able to boot the machine.:wall: Is there any other go or any suggestions . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowtham.varma
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Reset MPxIO total path count

We recently moved our netapp disks onto new infrastructure by attaching the new controllers to our fibre switch and netapp migrating the disks. Disks kept the same address. We originally had 4 paths, but after attaching the new controllers we had 8. Now I want to remove the old paths. But can't. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: garydeena
5 Replies
stmsboot(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      stmsboot(1M)

NAME
stmsboot - administration program for the Solaris I/O multipathing feature SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/stmsboot [[-d | -e [-D (fp | mpt) ]] | -u | -L | -l controller_number] DESCRIPTION
The Solaris I/O multipathing feature is a multipathing solution for storage devices that is part of the Solaris operating environment. This feature was formerly known as Sun StorEdge Traffic Manager (STMS) or MPxIO. The stmsboot program is an administrative command to manage enumeration of multipath-capable devices with Solaris I/O multipathing. Solaris I/O multipathing-enabled devices are enumerated under scsi_vhci(7D), providing multipathing capabilities. Solaris I/O multipathing-disabled devices are enumerated under the physical controller. In the /dev and /devices trees, Solaris I/O multipathing-enabled devices receive new names that indicate that they are under Solaris I/O multipathing control. This means a device will have a different name from its original name (after enabling) when it is under Solaris I/O multipathing control. The stmsboot command automatically updates /etc/vfstab and dump configuration to reflect the device names changes when enabling or disabling Solaris I/O multipathing. One reboot is required for changes to take effect. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e [ -D fp | mpt ] Enables Solaris I/O multipathing on all supported multipath-capable controller ports. Multipath-capable ports include fibre channel (fp(7D)) controller ports and SAS (mpt(7D)) controller ports. Following this enabling, you are prompted to reboot. During the reboot, vfstab and the dump configuration will be updated to reflect the device name changes. Specifying either -D mpt or -D fp limits the enabling operation to ports attached using the specified driver. -d [ -D fp | mpt ] Disables Solaris I/O multipathing on all supported multipath-capable controller ports. Multipath-capable ports include fibre channel (fp(7D)) controller ports and SAS (mpt(7D)) controller ports. Following this disabling, you are prompted to reboot. During the reboot, vfstab and the dump configuration will be updated to reflect the device name changes. Specifying either -D mpt or -D fp limits the dis- abling operation to ports attached using the specified driver. -u Updates vfstab and the dump configuration after you have manually modified the configuration to have Solaris I/O multipathing enabled or disabled on specific multipath-capable controller ports. This option prompts you to reboot. During the reboot, vfstab and the dump configuration will be updated to reflect the device name changes. -L Display the device name changes from non-Solaris I/O multipathing device names to Solaris I/O multipathing device names for multipath- enabled controller ports. If Solaris I/O multipathing is not enabled, then no mappings are displayed. -l controller_number Display the device name changes from non-Solaris I/O multipathing device names to Solaris I/O multipathing device names for the speci- fied controller. If Solaris I/O multipathing is not enabled, then no mappings are displayed. USAGE
The primary function of stmsboot is to control the enabling and disabling of Solaris I/O multipathing on the host. The utility automati- cally updates vfstab(4) and dumpadm(1M) configuration to reflect device name changes. The system administrator is responsible for modifying application configuration (for example, backup software, DBMS, and so forth) to reflect updated device names. The -L and -l options display the mapping between multipathed and non-multipathed device names. These options function only after changes to the Solaris I/O multipathing configuration have taken effect, that is, following the reboot after invoking stmsboot -e. ZFS datasets, including ZFS root datasets, are correctly handled by stmsboot. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Enabling Solaris I/O Multipathing To enable Solaris I/O multipathing for all multipath-capable controllers, run: # stmsboot -e To enable Solaris I/O multipathing on multipath-capable mpt(7D) controller ports, enter: # stmsboot -D mpt -e To enable Solaris I/O Multipathing on multipath-capable fibre channel controller ports, enter: # stmsboot -D fp -e Example 2 Disabling Solaris I/O Multipathing To disable Solaris I/O multipathing on all multipath-capable controllers, enter: # stmsboot -d To disable Solaris I/O multipathing on multipath-capable mpt(7D) controller ports, enter: # stmsboot -D mpt -d To disable Solaris I/O multipathing on multipath-capable fibre channel controller ports, enter: # stmsboot -D fp -d Example 3 Enabling Solaris I/O Multipathing on Selected Ports To enable Solaris I/O multipathing on specific fibre channel controller ports and disable the feature on others, manually edit the /ker- nel/drv/fp.conf file. (Seefp(7D).) The following command will update vfstab(4) and dumpadm(1M) configurations to reflect the changed device names: # stmsboot -u A similar procedure involving the /kernel/drv/mpt.conf file should be followed for devices attached by means of the mpt(7D) driver. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu, SUNWcslr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Obsolete | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
dumpadm(1M), fsck(1M), mpathadm(1M), ufsdump(1M), zfs(1M), zpool(1M), dumpdates(4), vfstab(4), emlxs(7D), fcp(7D), fp(7D), mpt(7D), qlc(7D), scsi_vhci(7D) Solaris SAN Configuration and Multipathing Guide (see http://docs.sun.com) Consult a particular storage product's system administrator's guide and release notes for further information specific to that product. NOTES
Solaris I/O multipathing is not supported on all devices. After enabling Solaris I/O multipathing, only supported devices are placed under Solaris I/O multipathing control. Non-supported devices remain unchanged. For Solaris releases prior to the current release, the -e and -d options replace mpxio-disable property entries with a global mpxio-disable entry in fp.conf. Enabling Solaris I/O Multipathing on a Sun StorEdge Disk Array The following applies to Sun StoreEdge T3, 3910, 3960, 6120, and 6320 storage subsystems. To place your Sun StorEdge disk subsystem under Solaris I/O multipathing control, in addition to enabling Solaris I/O multipathing, the mp_support of the subsystem must be set to mpxio mode. The preferred sequence is to change the subsystem's mp_support to mpxio mode, then run stmsboot -e. If Solaris I/O multipathing is already enabled but the subsystem's mp_support is not in mpxio mode, then change the mp_support to mpxio mode and run stmsboot -u. Refer to the Sun StorEdge Administrator's Guide for your subsystem for more details. Using ufsdump The ufsdump(1M) command records details of filesystem dumps in /etc/dumpdates (see dumpdates(4)). Among other items, the entries contain device names. An effect of the "active" stmsboot options (-e, -d, and -u) is to change the device name of a storage device. Because stmsboot does not modify dumpdates, entries will refer to obsolete device names, that is, device names that were in effect before Solaris I/O multipathing configuration changes were performed. In this situation ufsdump will behave as if no previous dump of the filesys- tem had been performed. A level 0 dump will be performed. Procedure to Use stmsboot in Conjunction with Sun Cluster If possible, invoke stmsboot -e before installing Sun Cluster software. After executing stmsboot, install Sun Cluster software normally. If Sun Cluster software is installed before executing stmsboot, follow this procedure: On each machine in the cluster where Solaris I/O multipathing is required, execute: # stmsboot -e ...and allow the system to reboot. When the system comes up, enter the following two commands: 1. # /usr/cluster/bin/scdidadm -C 2. # /usr/cluster/bin/scdidadm -r The preceding commands update did mappings with new device names while preserving did instance numbers for disks that are con- nected to multiple cluster nodes. did instance numbers of the local disks might not be preserved. For this reason, the did disk names for local disks might change. 3. Update /etc/vfstab to reflect any new did disk names for your local disks. 4. Reboot the system. To disable the Solaris multipathing feature, use stmsboot -d (instead of stmsboot -e), then follow the procedure above. To view mappings between the old and new device names, run stmsboot -L. To view did device name mappings, run /usr/cluster/bin/scdidadm -L. With active-passive storage arrays, it is possible that while your host is rebooting the array controller could failover the path that a particular target is using. In this scenario, fsck(1M) will fail to open the physical path listed in /etc/vfstab. The svc:/system/filesys- tem/local:default SMF service will transition to a maintenance state as a result. To rectify this, consult the documentation for your stor- age array to failback the path. The mpathadm(1M) can assist with determining the active and passive path(s). LIMITATIONS
On x86 platforms, the current Solaris release does not support disabling Solaris I/O multipathing of boot devices attached by means of fibre channel. Solaris I/O multipathing is always enabled for supported fibre channel-attached boot devices. Disabling Solaris I/O multi- pathing in this situation must be performed on a per-port basis. See fp(7D). Executing devfsadm -C removes obsolete device entries that stmsboot relies on. This will prevent correct operation of the -d option for boot devices (regardless of platform type) and the -L option. SunOS 5.11 15 Dec 2008 stmsboot(1M)