Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Whitespace breaking my egrep command Post 302562014 by Corona688 on Wednesday 5th of October 2011 05:20:51 PM
Old 10-05-2011
It helps because you can build a list and print it out in one whack without worrying about where to add | chars... If I knew what your shell was I might be able to tell you even easier ways.

Anyway, you've got ' quote chars in your search string. I did ask if the literal quotes in
Code:
timestr="'("
timestr="${timestr})'"

were supposed to be there, because they have no special meaning to the shell when inside double-quotes. grep is hunting for literal 's.

The shell never evaluates what's inside variables for quote characters anyway, so adding them is doubly redundant.

---------- Post updated at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:15 PM ----------

I think you could replace those with

Code:
timestr=""
timestr="(${timestr})"

...again, pairing the brackets there to make it more obvious what you're actually doing.

---------- Post updated at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixed
This is what I updated my code to:
Code:
grep =${searchstr} $logpath/$logfile | egrep "${timestr}"

(Only this line was editted)
You forgot the quotes, again. It's splitting on spaces, again.

Code:
grep "=${searchstr}" $logpath/$logfile | egrep "${timestr}"

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep command

I'd like to grep a pattern of a version number as *_number.number.number number should be digit my grep is |egrep '^*++\.+' It works for V_3.2.1 or V _5.3.2 but not with V_43.6.543 !!!!! How can I specify any repetition of digit in the ? thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: annelisa
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command breaking because of /

hey im having a problem with my script replace="dir/another_dir" sed s/something/$replace/g is there a way i can get around this problem without using the escape string character "\" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nookie
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with egrep command

Hi All, I am using egrep command to search one pattern. Following is the command i am using egrep -i "ACL*" filename but its also giving me the records which do not contain ACL. any help would be appreciated. Regards, Sam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query regarding egrep command

Hi All, I am having a query regarding the usage of egrep command. i am having two unix environmanets in environment when i am using "egrep -f" it is working fine and other unix environment i am getting a syntax error. Please let me know if i need to set any environmane variables. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriram.Vedula53
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match (whitespace digits whitespace) sequence?

Hi Following is an example line. echo "192.22.22.22 \"33dffwef\" 200 300 dsdsd" | sed "s:\(\ *\ \):\1:" I want it's output to be 200 However this is not the case. Can you tell me how to do it? I don't want to use AWK for this. Secondly, how can i fetch just 300? Should I use "\2"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahanali
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep command and order

Hi All, Here is my question. I have two files, file1.txt and file2.txt. I need the line number (index number) of file2.txt where the words in file1.txt appear. But they have to be in the same order as file1.txt. In example, file1.txt Z K A ... T file2.txt W A Q R (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senayasma
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with egrep command

cat /tmp/inventory.csv|grep AARP|egrep -v "T11|12.4\(7\)" how do i exclude in addition to above 12.4\(3\) I have tried adding this in i.e -v "T11|12.4\(7\)|12.4\(3\)" but it did not work (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashbash
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with egrep command

Hello folks, Here's how my current egrep command works: egrep "NY|DC|LA|VA|MD" state_data.txt I am planning to use a file to enter all allowable state values like say a new state_names.lookup with the following data: NY DC LA VA MD egrep "`cat state_names.lookup`"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in egrep command in file

Hi Guys, I need hepl on egrep commnad I have one file and i need grep only specific lines.. EX: 2012-04-01 02:15:14 w 2012-04-01 02:15:14 w 2012-04-01 02:15:14 w 2012-10-26 02:15:14 w 2012-04-01 02:15:14 w 2012-10-26 02:15:14 w 2012-10-26 02:15:14 w 2012-10-26 03:18:56 M... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Egrep command is not working for me

my file is below REREGISTER is something to Failed to create the request Failed to create the request in not easy I know how REREGISTERcommand i run is egrep 'REREGISTER|Failed|to|create|the|request' test1 expected output REREGISTER is something to Failed to create the request i should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
2 Replies