Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing a Perl Script that processes multiple files Post 302561909 by evelibertine on Wednesday 5th of October 2011 01:35:59 PM
Old 10-05-2011
Writing a Perl Script that processes multiple files

I want to write a Perl script that manipulates multiple files. In the directory, I have files 250.*chr$.ped where * is from 1 to 1000 and $ is from 1-22 for a total of 22 x 10,000 = 22,000 files.

I want to write a script that only manipulates files 250.1chr*.ped where * is from 1 to 22. Currently I am using
Code:
opendir(DIR,"/cchome/output")
#----------------------------------------------change dir
   || die "NO SUCH Directory: Images";
open(OUT,">>out.out")
   || die "cannot open output file";
while (@file = readdir(DIR) )
   {
      shift @file;
      shift @file;
      my $filename;
      foreach $_ (@file){
        $filename = $_;
        next unless ($filename =~ /250.1chr*.ped$/);

But it is not working. Could you help? Thanks!

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-06-2011 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining Multiple files in one in a perl script

All, I want to combine multiple files in one file. Something like what we do on the commad line as follows -> cat file1 file2 file3 > Main_File. Can something like this be done in a perl script very efficiently? Thanks, Rahul. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple processes writing on the same file simultaneously

Hi All, I have encountered a problem,please help me. I have a script in which multiple processes are writing on to the same file . How should I stop this , I mean lock mechanism can be implemented or we can write the at different files and then concatenate the files. What would be a better... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sayantan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script on multiple files

I have a script that runs on one file (at a time). like this: $> perl myscript.pl filename > output How can I run it on >6000 files and have the output sent out into slightly modified file name $> perl myscript 6000files> output6000files.new extension Thanks in anticipation (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aritakum
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl script on files in multiple directories

Hi, I want to run a Perl script on multiple files, with same name ("Data.txt") but in different directories (eg : 2010_06_09_A/Data.txt, 2010_06_09_B/Data.txt). I know how to run this perl script on files in the same directory like: for $i in *.txt do perl myscript.pl $i > $i.new... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a for loop that processes multiple input files

I would like to write a for loop that does the following: I have a file called X.txt and other files called 1.txt,2.txt, .....,1000.txt. I want to substitute the 6th column of the file X.txt with 1.txt and store the output as X.1. Then I want to do the same with X.txt and 2.txt and store the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to manipulate a script and store it in multiple output files

I have a script where the the 9th line looks like this: $filename=sprintf("250.1chr%d.ped", $N); I want to modify this script 1000 times, changing 250.1chr%d.ped to 250.2chr%d.ped, 250.3chr%.ped.......and so on all the way to 250.1000chr%d.ped and store each output in files called ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to process multiple input files by a shell script

I have multiple input files that I want to manipulate using a shell script. The files are called 250.1 through 250.1000 but I only want the script to manipulate 250.300 through 250.1000. Before I was using the following script to manipulate the text files: for i in 250.*; do || awk... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I do one liner import multiple custom .pm files in my perl script?

I am new for Perl I want to ask one question. I have around 50 custom packages which i am using in my Perl script. I want to import all .pm packages in my Perl script in an easy way. Right now i have to import each package individually. So Is there any way to do so?? Right Now i am doing like: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a script to print the number of lines in multiple files

Hi I have 1000 files labelled data1.txt through data1000.txt. I want to write a script that prints out the number of lines in each txt file and outputs it in the following format: Column 1: number of data file (1 through 1000) Column 2: number of lines in the text file Thanks! (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run perl script on multiple files of two directories?

Hi I have 100 files under file A labled 1.txt 2.txt.....100.txt(made up name) I have 1 files under file B labled name.txt How can i run the same perl script on 100 files and file name.txt I want to run perl script.pl A/1.txt B/name.txt perl script.pl A/2.txt B/name.txt ....... perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
3 Replies
TAU2PROFILE(1)							       Tools							    TAU2PROFILE(1)

NAME
tau2profile - convert TAU tracefiles to TAU profile files SYNOPSIS
tau2vprofile [-d directory] [-s snapshot_interval] {tau_tracefile} {tau_eventfile} DESCRIPTION
This program is generated when TAU is configured with the -TRACE option. The tau2profile converter takes a single tau_tracefile (*.trc) and tau_eventfile (*.edf) and produces a corresponding series of profile files. The input files must be specified in that order, with optinal parameters coming afterward. Multi-file TAU traces must be merged before conversion. OPTIONS
-d Output profile files to the specified 'directory' rather than the current directory. -s Output a profile snapshot showing the state of the profile data accumulated from the trace every 'snapshot_interval' time units. The snapshot profiles are placed sequentially in directories labled 'snapshot_n' where 'n' is an integer ranging from 0 to to the total number of snapshots -1. EXAMPLES
The program must be run with the tau trace and tau event files specified in the command line in that order. Any additional arguments follow. The following will produce a profile file array, from the TAU trace and event files merged.trc and tau.edf trace file: tau2profile merged.trc tau.edf The following will convert merged.trc and tau.edf to a series of profiles one directory higher. It will also produce a profile snapshot every 250,000 time units: tau2profile merged.trc tau.edf -d ./.. -s 250000 SEE ALSO
vtf2profile(1), tau2vtf(1), tau2otf(1), tau_merge(1), tau_convert(1) 12/22/2005 TAU2PROFILE(1)