Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep unknown number of params Post 302560946 by ahamed101 on Sunday 2nd of October 2011 02:06:06 PM
Old 10-02-2011
It will search the entire file and give the output. What is your requirement exactly by the way?

Can you paste the input file contents, the arguments you are giving and the expected output?

--ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf returning unknown number

Hi, Can anybody tell me why this function returns 49? printf "%d\n" \'10 I don't understand what the \ and ' are there for? thanks!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m0nk3y
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching and storing unknown number of lines based on the string with a condition

Dear friends, Please help me to resolve the problem below, I have a file with following content: date of file creation : 12 feb 2007 ==================== = name : suresh = city :mumbai #this is a blank line = date : 1st Nov 2005 ==================== few lines of some text this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating an unknown number of arrays

I need to create arrays like this: cnt=0 { while read myline; do if ];then firstpass="${myline##<meas>}" meas="${firstpass%%</meas>}" tempmeas="${meas%%;*}" MEAS$cnt=$tempmeas print $cnt print ${MEAS'$cnt'} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajgwin
2 Replies

4. Solaris

PING - Unknown host 127.0.0.1, Unknown host localhost - Solaris 10

Hello, I have a problem - I created a chrooted jail for one user. When I'm logged in as root, everything work fine, but when I'm logged in as a chrooted user - I have many problems: 1. When I execute the command ping, I get weird results: bash-3.00$ usr/sbin/ping localhost ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Przemek
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to match unknown pattern

Hi there I would like to search a file for a certain pattern, but i don't know the exact pattern i need to search for. What i do know is that i need to search for the pattern that exists the most in a certain file. so if a file looksike this: summer, summer, winter, spring, summer... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrchilly
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check params for number

I have 2 and three params, both I should make sure thay numbers at one single line insted of checking for each one . Example I wroote the following way.. checking for 2 and three seperately but I shud be able to do it at on statement echo $2 | egrep '^+$' >/dev/null 2>&1 if ; then echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raopatwari
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with unknown pattern?

Hi. I have a small problem that I haven't been able to find out of on my own. I am not much into bash scripting, however I use grep now and then when working on my code in order to locate specific objects, so I'll just state my exact problem: The code is huge, and has a function that is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Morridini
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk code to ignore the first occurence unknown number of rows in a data column

Hello experts, Shown below is the 2 column sample data(there are many data columns in actual input file), Key, Data A, 1 A, 2 A, 2 A, 3 A, 1 A, 1 A, 1 I need the below output. Key, Data A, 2 A, 2 A, 3 A, 1 A, 1 A, 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines for number greater than given number

Hello, I am newbie to bash scripting. Could someone help me with the following. I have log file with output as shown below **************************LOG************************* 11/20/2013 9:11:23.64 Pinging xx.xx.xx.xx with 32 bytes of data: 11/20/2013 9:11:23.64 Reply from xx.xx.xx.xx:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meena_2013
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Unknown Number of User Inputs in awk

Hello, I am new to awk and I am trying to figure out how to print an output based on user input. For example: ubuntu:~/scripts$ steps="step1, step2, step3" ubuntu:~/scripts$ echo $steps step1, step2, step3 I am playing around and I got this pattern that I want: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tattoostreet
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)