Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Translate Text File w/ shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Translate Text File w/ shell Post 302560713 by Skrynesaver on Friday 30th of September 2011 03:58:01 PM
Old 09-30-2011
Perl incorporates the tr command itself if you have to avoid temporary files, this is the equivalent of a series of single character substitution regexes.
search for "tr/SEARCHLIST/REPLACEMENTLIST/cds" in
Code:
perldoc perlop

Why can't you create a temp file and move it back anyway?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

translate text (1 position) with sed

Hello, I'm trying to translate a fixed length (the first 6 positions) that begins with a 0 to overwrite the field with an *. Any suggestion? File 1 ------- 013344 01:20 222343 19:30 233333 20:30 File 2 (result) ----------------- ****** 01:20 222343 19:30 233333 20:30 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterk
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plz Help To convert xml file to text file using bourn shell scripts

If someone out there could help me out with this problem. I would really appreciate it. I am trying to convert xml into text file(fixed length) using Unix Borne shell scripts. My xml file: <root> <header_rec recordtype="00"> <record_id>00</record_id> <country_code>AK></country_code>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram2s2001
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell or perl script needed for ldif file to text file conversion

This is the ldf file dn: sdcsmsisdn=1000000049,sdcsDatabase=subscriberCache,dc=example,dc=com objectClass: sdcsSubscriber objectClass: top postalCode: 29600 sdcsServiceLevel: 10 sdcsCustomerType: 14 givenName: Adelia sdcsBlackListAll: FALSE sdcsOwnerType: T-Mobile sn: Actionteam... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxFriend
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of tr command to translate after 1st character of each line in a file

Hello, I have an input file contaning following data: < 12345;5454;77;qwert< yuyuy;ruwuriwru> yyyw; > 35353;68686;424242;hrjwhrwrwy< dgdgd; I have first character as '<' or '>'and after that one space is their in each line I just want to replace 1st space encountered after < or >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi001cse
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading XML file and print the values in the text file using Linux shell script

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to write a shell script to convert text file to excel file.

Hi Everyone, I want your help to write a script which will take text file as input and on the basis of delimiter ":"script will create excel sheet. Example input: IpAdress:InstanceName:Port:ServerName 10.255.255.1:abc:2232:xyz_abc Output should be an excel sheet like below: Column... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akabhinav18
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Translate file name to disk blocks on UFS

Is there any way to translate a file name to the underlying file system's disk blocks/sectors/extents on UFS (Solaris OS on Sparc)? I found several ways to do it on linux file systems like ext2/3/4, using command like hdparm -- fibmap and filefrag. I also found one equivalent way to get that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorbaruch
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv file, convert the data and make one text file in UNIX shell scripting

I have input data looks like this which is a part of a csv file 7,1265,76548,"0102:04" 8,1266,76545,"0112:04" I need to make the output data should look like this and the output data will be part of text file: 7|1265000 |7654899 |A| 8|12660000 |76545999 |B| The logic behind the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
6 Replies
TMPFILE(3)								 1								TMPFILE(3)

tmpfile - Creates a temporary file

SYNOPSIS
resource tmpfile (void ) DESCRIPTION
Creates a temporary file with a unique name in read-write (w+) mode and returns a file handle . The file is automatically removed when closed (for example, by calling fclose(3), or when there are no remaining references to the file handle returned by tmpfile(3)), or when the script ends. For details, consult your system documentation on the tmpfile(3) function, as well as the stdio.h header file. RETURN VALUES
Returns a file handle, similar to the one returned by fopen(3), for the new file or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 tmpfile(3) example <?php $temp = tmpfile(); fwrite($temp, "writing to tempfile"); fseek($temp, 0); echo fread($temp, 1024); fclose($temp); // this removes the file ?> The above example will output: writing to tempfile SEE ALSO
tempnam(3), sys_get_temp_dir(3). PHP Documentation Group TMPFILE(3)