Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Start script when a user starts a remote session Post 302560622 by kilo90 on Friday 30th of September 2011 11:14:44 AM
Old 09-30-2011
Start script when a user starts a remote session

Howdy,

I'm fairly new at bash scripting, but (for some reason) I've been tasked with building a bastion server and logging all (ssh/telnet) remote activity. Each session must create a unique log file - the name of each file must include the user ID, the connection method (ssh/telnet), the name of the remote host, and a time stamp.I have a basic bash script using the script command (see below).

Users authenticate through Active Directory (Winbind) and use a default lshell, local users do not need to be logged. My two questions are:
1. What's the best way to start and stop the script?
2. How do I capture the remote connection method (ssh or telnet) and the name of the remote host for the log file name?

This is what I have as a framework:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Capture keystrokes of a user and log

TIMESTAMP=$(date +%m%d%y%H%M%S)
HOST=$(hostname|cut -f1 -d.)
LOGDIR=/var/log/logging
LOGFILE=${HOST}.${LOGNAME}.${TIMESTAMP}
touch $LOGDIR/$LOGFILE

# Set Prompt
export PS1=.[$LOGNAME:$HOST]@..$PWD> .

chown $LOGNAME ${LOGDIR}/${LOGFILE}
chmod 600 ${LOGDIR}/${LOGFILE}

script ${LOGDIR}/${LOGFILE}
chmod 400 ${LOGDIR}/${LOGFILE}

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by vbe; 09-30-2011 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: next time, use code tags for your code/data

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Unix script to start remote Tomcat

I have Tomcat installed on a Unix box and I need to start it remotely from another Unix box. Tomcat is started using a script. When this script is run locally everything is fine. When I run the same script from remote box, tomcat starts but the command running the script does not terminate.:( ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrgh
2 Replies

2. AIX

Script to start a remote batch job on another server

Hi , I am trying to execute one script residing on server B from server A and in automated way but with a trigger. My main quetion are 1) How I will login to the remote server automatically with user name and password. ( rsh or any other way ?) 2) Once logged in I need to execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agent47
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solstice 6.0.3 - Recover: Cannot Start Session

Hi people, I have a Solstice Backup 6.0.3 installed in server X1 and one installed in server X2. I need to start de recover in X2 and the somes files existing in X1. - Well, i begin this process in X2 with #nwadmin -s X1 & and i select "Save Set/ Recover". I select the datas and click in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: denisgomes
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

Start SAM in TUI from CDE session

how can i start sam in TUI mode from a CDE session. i'm using hp-ux 11iv3 i tried to start SAM from a terminal from CDE session but each time i try to start it System Managment Homepage starts , so i telneted to server from a pc to start sam in TUI mode is there any other way to set my SAM to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Start multiple scripts from the same session

hello, i have an AIX 6.1 server which has Informix 11.5 Database Engine. When i want to export some databases from the instance for backup or for any other use i can do it with dbexport (informix command). The problem is that when i run this command or when i run script which run this command,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

6. AIX

How to start monitoring with truss before a process starts

Hi guys, Is there some way to monitor a process but previously starting truss like this? truss ls & ls Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to execute shell script on remote server with in sftp session

Hi, I want to execute shell script with in sftp session for remote server. like i have a shell script test.sh that is on local server.i want to execute that script on remote server sftp user@192.168.56.10 sftp> test.sh ---execute for remote server not for local server. sftp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SAUD PASHA
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a shell script that starts one, then kills it, then starts another?

This is on a CentOS box, I have two scripts that need to run in order. I want to write a shell script that calls the first script, lets it run and then terminates it after a certain number of hours (that I specify of course), and then calls the second script (they can't run simultaneously) which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: btramer
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script on remote server kills my login session

Hi there, I'm trying to run a script remotely on a server in a particular directory named after hostname which already exists, my login session gets killed as soon as I run the below command. Not sure what is wrong, is there a better way to do it ? Note: I can also use nohup command to run... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
14 Replies
GNUNET-TESTING(1)					      General Commands Manual						 GNUNET-TESTING(1)

NAME
gnunet-testing - Command line tool to access the testing library. SYNOPSIS
gnunet-testing [options] DESCRIPTION
gnunet-testing is a command line tool to access the testing library. OPTIONS
-C, --cfg Create unique configuration files. -c FILENAME, --config=FILENAME Use the configuration file FILENAME. -H, --hostkeys Host key file. -h, --help Print short help on options. -k, --key Create hostkey files from pre-computed hostkey list. -L LOGLEVEL, --loglevel=LOGLEVEL Use LOGLEVEL for logging. Valid values are DEBUG, INFO, WARNING and ERROR. -l LOGFILE, --logfile=LOGFILE Configure logging to write logs to LOGFILE. -n, --number Number of unique configuration files or hostkeys to create. -t, --template Configuration template. -v, --version Print GNUnet version number. BUGS
Report bugs by using Mantis <https://gnunet.org/bugs/> or by sending electronic mail to <gnunet-developers@gnu.org> GNUnet Jan 4, 2012 GNUNET-TESTING(1)