Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove apostrophe and a letter followed by it Post 302560502 by dnam9917 on Friday 30th of September 2011 02:47:07 AM
Old 09-30-2011
you can try this :
Code:
cat t1.txt | tr "\'" " " | cut -d " " -f 1

---------- Post updated at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:46 AM ----------

t1.txt - will be your input file

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums.

Last edited by Franklin52; 09-30-2011 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags, thank you
This User Gave Thanks to dnam9917 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strip apostrophe from a file

I am trying to remove or replace various extraneous characters from a file so that subsequent processes work correctly. The characters that is giving me trouble is the apostrophe '. The command I 'm trying is sed 's/\'//g' ${IN_WRK_DIR}/file1 > ${IN_WRK_DIR}/file2 in a Korn script on HP... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquimby
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping apostrophe using shell script

Hi, I am using the KSH shell. I am facing a problem of escaping apostrophe('), that is occuring in a variable. I used the following command, but in vain item=`echo $item|sed 's/'/\'/g'` this code replaces the occurance of ' in an xml file to apostrophe(') symbol. The output of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mradul_kaushik
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to replace a character with '(Apostrophe)

Hi Friends, I need a sed or awk based script to replace a character(alphabet) with ' (Apostrophe). I tried to use the following two commands 1) sed -e 's/a/'/' filename 2) awk '{sub("a","'",$1);print}' filename but both got failed. Any help on this. Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Title Case after apostrophe

I've got: $string =~ s/(\w+)/\u\L$1/g; Which capitalizes each word in the string. The problem is if I have a string with an apostrophe the first letter after it gets capitalized as well. So Bob's becomes Bob'S. Thanks for any quick fixes! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjmtaiwan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace apostrophe with backslash apostrophe

I'm coding using BASH and have a requirement to replace apostrophes with backslash apostrophes. For example below: I am here 'in my room' ok Would be changed to: I am here /'in my room/' ok The original text is coming from a field in a MySql database and is being used by another process that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbjock
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove letter from $1 using awk or sed

I have a file: 575G /local/mis/SYBDUMP I want to remove the G, K, M or T so I can use $1 in awk or sed to do math. I want to end up with a file containing: 575 /local/mis/SYBDUMP It should not matter how small or large the numeric numbers are so if 2, 3, 4, or 5 digits etc I want to see... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamvgi
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific letter in a file by other letter

Good afternoon all, I want to ask how to change some letter in my file with other letter in spesific line eg. data.txt 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 for example i want to change the 4th line with character 1. How could I do it by SED or AWK. I have tried to run this code but actually did not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weslyarfan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove repeated letter words

Hi, I have this text file with these words and I need help with removing words with repeated letter from these lines. 1 ama 5 bib 29 bob 2 bub 5 civic 2 dad 10 deed 1 denned 335 did 1 eeee 1 eeeee 2 eke 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crepe6
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Usage of sed, position of apostrophe

Hello, I have never ever seen below notation for string substitution. sed -i -e 's/tttt/pppp'/g /var/bin/czech.sh; The strange thing for me is the position of the apostrophe. Should it be before the / or after the g? If I had been writing that command line, I would have chosen below way:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find ' (apostrophe) by grep

hi linux expert how can i find apostrophe (') symbol in text file by grep? for example for find 'test, the command grep " \'test" * is not useful. Many Thanks samad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
1 Replies
html2pdbtxt(1)						      General Commands Manual						    html2pdbtxt(1)

NAME
html2pdbtxt - HTML to Doc Text converter for Palm Pilots SYNOPSIS
html2pdbtxt [ -bchars ] [ -ttitle ] [ -uURL ] file.html [ file.txt ] html2pdbtxt -v DESCRIPTION
html2pdbtxt converts HTML to text suitable for conversion to a Doc(4) file via txt2pdbdoc(1). If no text filename is given, the generated text is sent to standard output. HTML Tags The following HTML tags (and corresponding ending tags) are recognized: ADDRESS, A NAME, BLOCKQUOTE, BR, CENTER, DIV, DL, DT, H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6, OL, OPTION, PRE, P, SELECT, SCRIPT, STYLE, TABLE, TITLE, UL. In all cases, the most ``reasonable'' thing is done given the constraints of the Doc(4) format which is essentially plain text. ALT attributes (typically found in IMG tags) have their text extracted and placed between brackets [like this]. All other HTML tags are stripped. Character Entities Both HTML character and numeric (decimal and hexadecimal) entity references are converted to their byte value according to the ISO 8859-1 (Latin 1) character set so they appear properly on the Pilot. For example, ``r&eacute;sum&#233;'' becomes ``resume'' with accented letter 'e's. Document Title Unless specified with the -t option, the HTML file is scanned for <TITLE> ... </TITLE> tags and, if found, the title is extracted and put on line 1 of the generated file. Bookmarks Bookmarks are placed into the generated file wherever <A NAME="..."> tags are found in the HTML file. OPTIONS
-bchars Specify the character sequence that is to serve as the bookmark indicator. The default is (*). (See the CAVEATS.) -ttitle Specify the title of the document that is to appear on line 1 of the generated file overriding any title found inside the HTML file between <TITLE> ... </TITLE> tags. -uurl Specify the URL the HTML file supposedly came from and put it on the line after the title, if any, in the generated file. -v Print the version number to standard output and exit. EXAMPLE
To convert an HTML file to Doc: html2pdbtxt -u http://www.wonderland.org/ alice.html alice.txt txt2pdbdoc "`head -1 alice.txt`" alice.txt alice.pdb CAVEATS
1. Some Doc readers have a ``feature'' whereby, during the scan for bookmarks phase, they recognize the bookmark sequence of characters anywhere in the text and not just at the beginning of a line. 2. Some Doc readers do not allow the bookmark sequence to contain the > character since they interpret that as the sequence delimiter, e.g., <->> will be interpreted as the sequence being merely -. 3. Ordered lists (via the OL tag) are treated as unordered lists (like the UL tag) because it would greatly complicate the code since it would have to be parsed rather than simple substitutions being performed. SEE ALSO
pdbtxt2html(1), txt2pdbdoc(1), doc(4), pdb(4) International Standards Organization. ``ISO 8859-1: Information Processing -- 8-bit single-byte coded graphic character sets -- Part 1: Latin alphabet No. 1.'' 1987. World Wide Web Consortium. ``Character entity references in HTML 4.0.'' HTML 4.0 Specification, http://www.w3.org/ AUTHOR
Paul J. Lucas <pauljlucas@mac.com> html2pdbtxt January 21, 2005 html2pdbtxt(1)