Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove apostrophe and a letter followed by it Post 302560463 by shoaibjameel123 on Friday 30th of September 2011 12:22:15 AM
Old 09-30-2011
Remove apostrophe and a letter(s) followed by it

Hi All,

For example, I have some words like these:

Code:
cabinet's
school's
field's
you'll

I know how to remove apostrophe from these words using this command:

Code:
cat filename | tr -s "\'" ' '

But I am not sure how I can remove the letter followed by the apostrophe, so that my output becomes:

Code:
cabinet
school
field
you

I am doing this in Linux with BASH.

Last edited by shoaibjameel123; 09-30-2011 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: Added more information

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strip apostrophe from a file

I am trying to remove or replace various extraneous characters from a file so that subsequent processes work correctly. The characters that is giving me trouble is the apostrophe '. The command I 'm trying is sed 's/\'//g' ${IN_WRK_DIR}/file1 > ${IN_WRK_DIR}/file2 in a Korn script on HP... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquimby
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping apostrophe using shell script

Hi, I am using the KSH shell. I am facing a problem of escaping apostrophe('), that is occuring in a variable. I used the following command, but in vain item=`echo $item|sed 's/'/\'/g'` this code replaces the occurance of ' in an xml file to apostrophe(') symbol. The output of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mradul_kaushik
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to replace a character with '(Apostrophe)

Hi Friends, I need a sed or awk based script to replace a character(alphabet) with ' (Apostrophe). I tried to use the following two commands 1) sed -e 's/a/'/' filename 2) awk '{sub("a","'",$1);print}' filename but both got failed. Any help on this. Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Title Case after apostrophe

I've got: $string =~ s/(\w+)/\u\L$1/g; Which capitalizes each word in the string. The problem is if I have a string with an apostrophe the first letter after it gets capitalized as well. So Bob's becomes Bob'S. Thanks for any quick fixes! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjmtaiwan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace apostrophe with backslash apostrophe

I'm coding using BASH and have a requirement to replace apostrophes with backslash apostrophes. For example below: I am here 'in my room' ok Would be changed to: I am here /'in my room/' ok The original text is coming from a field in a MySql database and is being used by another process that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbjock
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove letter from $1 using awk or sed

I have a file: 575G /local/mis/SYBDUMP I want to remove the G, K, M or T so I can use $1 in awk or sed to do math. I want to end up with a file containing: 575 /local/mis/SYBDUMP It should not matter how small or large the numeric numbers are so if 2, 3, 4, or 5 digits etc I want to see... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamvgi
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific letter in a file by other letter

Good afternoon all, I want to ask how to change some letter in my file with other letter in spesific line eg. data.txt 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 for example i want to change the 4th line with character 1. How could I do it by SED or AWK. I have tried to run this code but actually did not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weslyarfan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove repeated letter words

Hi, I have this text file with these words and I need help with removing words with repeated letter from these lines. 1 ama 5 bib 29 bob 2 bub 5 civic 2 dad 10 deed 1 denned 335 did 1 eeee 1 eeeee 2 eke 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crepe6
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Usage of sed, position of apostrophe

Hello, I have never ever seen below notation for string substitution. sed -i -e 's/tttt/pppp'/g /var/bin/czech.sh; The strange thing for me is the position of the apostrophe. Should it be before the / or after the g? If I had been writing that command line, I would have chosen below way:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find ' (apostrophe) by grep

hi linux expert how can i find apostrophe (') symbol in text file by grep? for example for find 'test, the command grep " \'test" * is not useful. Many Thanks samad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
1 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)