Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk for variable with a space Post 302560416 by GermanicGalore on Thursday 29th of September 2011 07:10:09 PM
Old 09-29-2011
awk for variable with a space

Hi experts,

why does
Code:
$ echo "one two three" | awk '{$3="my tree"; print $0}'
one two my tree

work,
but
Code:
$ var="my tree"
$ echo "one two three" | awk '{$3="'$var'"; print $0}'
awk: {$3="my
awk:     ^ unterminated string

does not work?
How can the variable tha contains a space be forced into the field?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums.

Last edited by Franklin52; 09-30-2011 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

space in variable

Hi, How to check if a variable is having spaces or empty in shell scripts. Please help esham (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to merge two variable in one variable with space between them?

Dear all I had two separate variable. Now i want to make them merge into one new variable with space between them. Kindly suggest me. var1=dec 15 var2=10 i want var3=dec 15 10 My main aim is as below: op of date command: >date >Sat Dec 15 10:17:35 IST 2007 i want only Dec... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending space to variable

Hi I need to write a script where there the user enters 3 input parameter variable number the program should ask the user left or right if it is left , the number specified that many spaces should be added to the value in front of the value and saved in the samee variable itself and if it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: viv1
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Variable With Space In It?

Hey , I'm new to Bash and am having trouble with writing a script. I have a variable and want to use it to create a tar file, but, I am having problems. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? filestr=`date "+%y-%m-%d %H.%M.%S"`.tar tar -cvf $filestr test.txt So, basically,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beefeater267
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: Eliminating white space while setting variable

Hi, I have a large flat file from host without delimiter. I'm transforming this file to a csv file using statements like # Row 03: Customer / field position 3059 +20 WOFABNAM=substr( $0, 3059, 20 ); and deleting the trailing whitespaces before and after with that sub( /^ +/, "",... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celald
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve space in variable of AWK

This seems to be a stupid basic question, but I cant get the space to stick in the awk variable. I do use this command to grep a time range of the log file. cat /var/log/daemon.log | awk '$0>=from&&$0<=to' from="$(date +%b" "%e" "%H:%M:%S -d -24hour)" to="$(date +%b" "%e" "%H:%M:%S)" I now... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk

Hi all, Hope someone can help me out here. I have this BASH script (see below) My problem lies with the variable path. The output of the command find will give me several fields. The 9th field is the path. I want to captured that and the I want to filter this to a specific level. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cowardly
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - trim white space from a field / variable

Hi, Consider the data (FS = |): 1| England |end 2| New Zealand |end 3|Australia|end 4| Some Made Up Country |end 5| West Indies|end I want the output to be (i.e. without the leading and trailing white space from $2) England New Zealand Australia Some Made Up Country West... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Storms
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to remove leading space from awk statement space from calculation

I created a awk state to calculate the number of success however when the query runs it has a leading zero. Any ideas on how to remove the leading zero from the calculation? Here is my query: cat myfile.log | grep | awk '{print $2,$3,$7,$11,$15,$19,$23,$27,$31,$35($19/$15*100)}' 02:00:00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bizomb
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Space in PATH variable

Hi All, I did a review of some threads to see if someone had come across this problem. My system is an oracle virtual box solaris 10 installed on a windows 10 system. Right now I am learning scripting and am just playing with the env variables. I am trying to update the PATH to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdby
9 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)