Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to split a huge file into small pieces (per 2000 columns)? Post 302560305 by forevertl on Thursday 29th of September 2011 11:52:54 AM
Old 09-29-2011
How to split a huge file into small pieces (per 2000 columns)?

Dear all,

I have a big file:2879(rows)x400,170 (columns) like below. I 'd like to split the file into small pieces:2879(rows)x2000(columns) per file (the last small piece will be 2879x170.
So far, I only know how to create one samll piece at one time. But actually I need to repeat this work many times. I am wondering if there is a easy way I just run the code once and it will create all the samll pieces itself. Anyone can help? Thanks!!

file:
Code:
1 0 0.898 0.123 1 0 1 0 0.7987 0.124 1 0 ...
0.123 1 0 1 0 0.7987 0.124 1 0 1 0 1 0...

Thanks.
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment
Please use code tags when posting data and code samples!

Last edited by vgersh99; 09-29-2011 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into 16 small files

Hi I want to split a file that has 'n' number of records into 16 small files. Can some one suggest me how to do this using Unix script? Thanks rrkk (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrkks
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I split file into pieces with PERL?

How do I split file into pieces with PERL? IE file.txt head 1 2 3 4 end head 5 6 7 8 9 end n so on (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help- counting delimiter in a huge file and split data into 2 files

I’m new to Linux script and not sure how to filter out bad records from huge flat files (over 1.3GB each). The delimiter is a semi colon “;” Here is the sample of 5 lines in the file: Name1;phone1;address1;city1;state1;zipcode1 Name2;phone2;address2;city2;state2;zipcode2;comment... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split a huge file by every 100 lines

into small files. i need to add a head.txt and tail.txt into small files at the begin and end, and give a name as q1.xml q2.xml q3.xml .... thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtdt
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a 30GB XML file into 16 pieces

I have a 30 GB XMl file which looks like this: <page> <title>APRIL</title> .........(text contents that I need to extract and store in 1.dat including the <title> tag) </page> <page> <title>August</title> ....(text contents that I need to store in 2.dat including the <title> tag) </page>... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
13 Replies

6. Solaris

How to split 10GB file into small Sizes

Hi Team I have one 10 Gb log file I want to split it into say 10 of 1-1Gb file pls share ur experiences how to do this? Thanks in advance, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zimmyyash
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a huge 7 GB File Based on Pattern into 4 files

Hi, I have a Huge 7 GB file which has around 1 million records, i want to split this file into 4 files to contain around 250k messages each. Please help me as Split command cannot work here as it might miss tags.. Format of the file is as below <!--###### ###### START-->... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KishM
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split this txt file into small files?

Dear shell experts, I would like to spilt a txt file into small ones. However, I did not know how to program use shell. If someone could help, it is greatly appreciated! Specifically, I supposed there is file named A.txt. The content of the file likes this: Subject run condtion ACC time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychmyluo
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split large file into 24 small files on one hour basis

I Have a large file with 24hrs log in the below format.i need to split the large file in to 24 small files on one hour based.i.e ex:from 09:55 to 10:55,10:55-11:55 can any one help me on this.! ... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghuram717
20 Replies

10. Solaris

Split huge File System

Gents I have huge NAS File System as /sys with size 10 TB and I want to Split each 1TB in spirit File System to be mounted in the server. How to can I do that without changing anything in the source. Please your support. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AbuAliiiiiiiiii
1 Replies
split(1)							   User Commands							  split(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-linecount | -l linecount] [-a suffixlength] [file [name]] split [-b n | nk | nm] [-a suffixlength] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads file and writes it in linecount-line pieces into a set of output-files. The name of the first output-file is name with aa appended, and so on lexicographically, up to zz (a maximum of 676 files). The maximum length of name is 2 characters less than the maximum filename length allowed by the filesystem. See statvfs(2). If no output name is given, x is used as the default (output-files will be called xaa, xab, and so forth). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -linecount | -l linecount Number of lines in each piece. Defaults to 1000 lines. -a suffixlength Uses suffixlength letters to form the suffix portion of the filenames of the split file. If -a is not specified, the default suffix length is 2. If the sum of the name operand and the suffixlength option-argument would create a filename exceeding NAME_MAX bytes, an error will result; split will exit with a diagnostic message and no files will be created. -b n Splits a file into pieces n bytes in size. -b nk Splits a file into pieces n*1024 bytes in size. -b nm Splits a file into pieces n*1048576 bytes in size. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The path name of the ordinary file to be split. If no input file is given or file is -, the standard input will be used. name The prefix to be used for each of the files resulting from the split operation. If no name argument is given, x will be used as the prefix of the output files. The combined length of the basename of prefix and suffixlength cannot exceed NAME_MAX bytes. See OPTIONS. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of split when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of split: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csplit(1), statvfs(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 16 Apr 1999 split(1)