Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat MySQL (mysqld) fails to start! Post 302559550 by dot_pro on Tuesday 27th of September 2011 11:17:43 AM
Old 09-27-2011
The strange think is that when I was installing moodle I had to change the character set of mysql and according to a moodle documentation I had to add those lines in my.cnf:

Quote:
default-character-set=utf8
default-collation=utf8_unicode_ci
character-set-server=utf8
collation-server=utf8_unicode_ci
So according to you now I should delete the first two and leave only the latter two.
Things look to work fine now. I hope I will not have any further problems which I cannot see now.

Thank you very much for helping me

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

mysqld

Hello I installed mysql41 this is the end of the installation but when I try to launch the mysqld daemon it write this: note: LodelServoo is a CMS which need mysql I verify that the dir mysql existed under /var/db, but it doesn't so naively I created it and launch again the mysqld... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SoulCoder
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

XServer Fails to start

I've recently patched my AIX box from ML02 to ML06 and somehow along the way the monitor no longer starts up in GUI mode. Running the command xinit gives me the following errros ioctl Bad file Number 1356- Unable to start the X server I've checked the path variables, the monitor, the lai0... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahartle
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mysql would not start: missing mysql.sock

I recently installed mysql-standard-5.0.21-solaris9-sparc-64bit.pkg on a Solaris 9 machine (SunOS 5.9 Generic_118558-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250). The package installation went very smooth, however, starting mysql is a different story. I get the message below everytime I try to start mysql: #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xnightcrawl
2 Replies

4. Programming

MySQL service start error

Hi, I have installed MySql version 5.0.67 in RedHat LINUX version 5. The installation completed successfully. When I am trying to start the service an error occured the error shown below ".......Manager of pid-file quit without updating file" Can anyone help me to fix the problem.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanakumar
4 Replies

5. Solaris

ldap client fails to start under solaris 10

I have an issue here with ldap client. It stoped and won't start. What I have got: sadm $ tail /var/adm/messages Apr 16 09:17:24 hostname inetd: libsldap: Status: 2 Mesg: Unable to load configuration '/var/ldap/ldap_client_file' (''). Apr 16 09:17:24 hostname inetd: libsldap: Status: 2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
3 Replies

6. Solaris

How to auto start MySQL server on Opensolaris after rebooting the machine?

Hi, In Linux, I will do it by editing the /etc/rc.d/rc.local . However, I can't find a rc.local file in Opensolaris. So, how can I do it in Opensolaris? I am new to opensolaris, so please teach me step by step. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlexCheung
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vsftp in CentOS fails to start

service of vsftpd is not starting .I m using centos 5 please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj@Innodata
2 Replies

8. Linux

mysql server start issue

Hi, I have installed mysql in linux box as mysql-5.0.77-4.el5_6.6.. I would like to start the server. But there is no mysql file in this location /etc/init.d/ Please advice how to start the server now !! Thnaks, Mani (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
5 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

MySQL Daemon failed to start - no mysql.sock file

After doing a yum install mysql mysql-server on Fedora 14 I wasn't able to fully install the packages correctly. It installed MySQL 5.1. I was getting the following error when running the: mysql ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
3 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Mysql missing mysqld.sock (Linux)

I am trying to start a server for a class I am in but... mysql won't start with this error ( ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) ) ---------- Post updated at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:50 PM ---------- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slayer939
2 Replies
MYSQLI_SET_CHARSET(3)							 1						     MYSQLI_SET_CHARSET(3)

mysqli::set_charset - Sets the default client character set

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
bool mysqli::set_charset (string $charset) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style bool mysqli_set_charset (mysqli $link, string $charset) Sets the default character set to be used when sending data from and to the database server. PARAMETERS
o $ link -Procedural style only: A link identifier returned by mysqli_connect(3) or mysqli_init(3) o $charset - The charset to be set as default. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. NOTES
Note To use this function on a Windows platform you need MySQL client library version 4.1.11 or above (for MySQL 5.0 you need 5.0.6 or above). Note This is the preferred way to change the charset. Using mysqli_query(3) to set it (such as SET NAMES utf8) is not recommended. See the MySQL character set concepts section for more information. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mysqli::set_charset example Object oriented style <?php $mysqli = new mysqli("localhost", "my_user", "my_password", "test"); /* check connection */ if (mysqli_connect_errno()) { printf("Connect failed: %s ", mysqli_connect_error()); exit(); } /* change character set to utf8 */ if (!$mysqli->set_charset("utf8")) { printf("Error loading character set utf8: %s ", $mysqli->error); } else { printf("Current character set: %s ", $mysqli->character_set_name()); } $mysqli->close(); ?> Procedural style <?php $link = mysqli_connect('localhost', 'my_user', 'my_password', 'test'); /* check connection */ if (mysqli_connect_errno()) { printf("Connect failed: %s ", mysqli_connect_error()); exit(); } /* change character set to utf8 */ if (!mysqli_set_charset($link, "utf8")) { printf("Error loading character set utf8: %s ", mysqli_error($link)); } else { printf("Current character set: %s ", mysqli_character_set_name($link)); } mysqli_close($link); ?> The above examples will output: Current character set: utf8 SEE ALSO
mysqli_character_set_name(3), mysqli_real_escape_string(3), List of character sets that MySQL supports. PHP Documentation Group MYSQLI_SET_CHARSET(3)