Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Query on RAM Memory
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Query on RAM Memory Post 302559402 by pludi on Tuesday 27th of September 2011 03:42:21 AM
Old 09-27-2011
The used number in free is the sum of memory used by applications, buffers, and caches, and not only that of the applications. Linux will always try to use as much memory as possible to cache files to reduce disk access (which is a good thing).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Amount of RAM (Memory)

How do i check/get the total amount of RAM, on a machine running UNIX? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudimu
4 Replies

2. Solaris

RAM Physical Memory usage by each Process.

Hi All, I am trying to find the physical memory usage by each process/users. Can you please let me know how to get the memory usage?. Thanks, bsraj. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsrajirs
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to accurately determine memory (RAM) information

I'm writing a shell script to display as much useful information on physical and virtual memory availability and usage as possible. I need a CLI tool to print these numbers for me. The utilities that I know to give out some statistics are the following: free top vmstat sysctl In Linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fiori_musicali
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

RAM memory checker / bad lister

A bit of background I'm running a Nexenta (OpenSolaris kernel + a number of Debian tools) server running a ZRAID of 3x 1TB SATA2 drives (essentially a RAID5 formatted in ZFS, for those who aren't familiar with zpools). When running the ZFS scrub command (ZFS's equivelent of fsck) I get a number... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laumars
0 Replies

5. Solaris

RAM memory display

Hi How to display RAM memory info under Sol10 ? I need info like : - how many slots is available in MoBo - how RAM is plugged into those slots - total number of RAM memory size and size divided in each slot ths for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve RAM memory size from "top" command output

Hi, I am trying to get the system RAM size from "top" command's output by the following but it is not working. top | sed "s/^Mem.**\(*\), *//" (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
10 Replies

7. Solaris

Ram memory fails.

Hi All, Ram memory always fails,i did not find the reason...........any one can help i this.:wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_Apple
2 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Find defective ram memory

How do I find if I have defective ram in my computer. I don't have a cd-rom, so I can't use a bootable cd. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

9. Programming

Memory Allocation Query

When we dynamically allocate the memory say 100 integers say int *x = new int(1000); then does entire chunk of memory gets allocated at once after the completion of the statement? I mean will the the concept of page fault come into picture over here? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
3 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Maximum Memory RAM for windows 7 32 bit

Hi, i have just installed 4 gb RAM ddr3 on OS Windows 7 32 bit. In "manage peripherals" i see this section: Memory installed (ram) : 4,00 gb (2,30gb usable) Why only 2,30 gb usable ? In Windows 7 32bit the maximum size is not 3,00gb ? see file attached, please (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nash83
4 Replies
vxfs_bc_bufhwm(5)						File Formats Manual						 vxfs_bc_bufhwm(5)

NAME
vxfs_bc_bufhwm - VxFS buffer cache high water mark(determines the VxFS buffer cache size) SYNOPSIS
VALUE
Specify an integer value. Minimum 6144 KB Maximum None Default 0 DESCRIPTION
VxFS maintains a buffer cache in the kernel for frequently accessed file system metadata in addition to the HP-UX kernel buffer cache that caches the file data. tunable parameter determines the size of the VxFS buffer cache (the maximum amount of memory that can be used to cache VxFS metadata). The default value computed based on the amount of system memory ensures good system performance across a wide range of applications. The value of is specified in kilobytes. To improve performance during application loads that cause frequent file system metadata changes on the system (for example, a high rate of file creation or deletion, or accessing large directories), change the value of Notes Use the command to monitor buffer cache statistics and inode cache usage. EXAMPLES
Set the maximum of size of buffer cache at 300000: WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or its meaning may change in the future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), vxfsstat(1M), vx_maxlink(5), vx_ninode(5), vxfs_ifree_timelag(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters vxfs_bc_bufhwm(5)