Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Source Command in Unix
Top Forums Programming Source Command in Unix Post 302559136 by jessy83 on Monday 26th of September 2011 09:58:25 AM
Old 09-26-2011
That means I don't have any method that can call a script file to change my directory? In Win DOS, we can write a bash file, for example like abc.cmd where abc.cmd will change my directory , for instance from c:\jessy\jessy2 to c:\jessy. We can just simply call abc.cmd in order to to the task?

2. In Win, as long as I set my environment path, I can easily run abc.cmd in whatever directory I am in? How about in Linux, is there any environment path for me to set up so that I can run my shell file irregardless of my path?

3. Regarding the start command, for example, my current path in my command prompt is C:\Document_and_Setting, when i run start. command, it will open a new window for me and I can easily access the files which are stored under C:\Document_and_Setting.

4. Is Linux having this command? set DISPLAY jessy:0.0? I am just wondering why I can't run this command in my Linux?

5. Is Linux having WIN's equivalent command - title ? I wish to change title for every different console?

Thanks. Sorry I am indeed very newbie in Linux.
Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX commands source

does anyone knows where i can find the source code any Unix commands??? THx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rubis450
1 Replies

2. Programming

UNIX source?

Where can one download the UNIX source code? Thx (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharkbait
9 Replies

3. Programming

ls command source code

Hi all, I want to know how ls was implemented in linux.; How to view the source code? filename/sitename...? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxer_rh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with source command

Ive written a script that uses the source command but i get the error: source: not found when i enter it myself manually it works fine, is there any reason I cannot use this command in a script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonbyrne123
2 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

the source code of unix

tha ithela na moy peite an mporo apo kapoy na vro ton pigaio kvdika toy unix se glossa c .efxaristo. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matsoyka
1 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Source Code Of Unix

Do you have the source code of UNIX? If yes, can you please send it to me on my email email address deleted For your this help I shall be obliged to you. With Regards rajesh ***phone removed*** (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajesh_ranjan26
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can i get unix source code?

Sir please tell me where can i get source code for some unix kernal and shell also. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VIPUL15
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Source Command

Hello, I have created a script that changes directories but in order for it to work I always need to invoke a source ./script Here is a copy of my script.. if I do not invoke "source ./script" the change directory command does not work. Any ideas? // The script is pretty basic ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps command source.

Dear friends, I am using SCO Openserver 5.0.7. Where does the ps -ef command pick the information from? Is it stored in some file? Also, the ps -ef command or the ps -eo args command displays truncated information. How to get the complete expanded output without truncation? Thanks in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabu
8 Replies

10. Fedora

Is UNIX an open source OS ?

Hi everyone, I know the following questions are noobish questions but I am asking them because I am confused about the basics of history behind UNIX and LINUX. Ok onto business, my questions are-: Was/Is UNIX ever an open source operating system ? If UNIX was... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
21 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)