Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to compare a file name with a regular expression !! Post 302558969 by Lucifer_123 on Monday 26th of September 2011 03:14:47 AM
Old 09-26-2011
Question How to compare a file name with a regular expression !!

Hi,

I need to compare file names in a folder with several strings(which are in regular expression format):

For example:
there is a file "objectMyHistoryBook" and there are several strings to compare this file name with:

objectMyMaths*, objectMyEnglish*, objectMyHistory*, objectMyChemistry* etc

so I tried this:
file=objectMyHistoryBook
#there are several files in the concerned folder so assigning each name in 'file'
if [ [ $file="objectMyMaths*"] -o [ $file="objectMyEnglish*" ] -o [ $file="objectMyHistory*"] -o [ $file="objectMyChemistry] ];
then
{file name matches one of the string so do this }
fi

But this is not working. Need help..!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare variable against regular expression?

is it possible? if so, how? i want to check a variable whether is it a number or letter in an if-else statement (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - compare $0 to regular expression + variable

Hi, I have this script: awk -v va=45 '$0~va{print}' flo2 That returns: "4526745 1234 " (this is the only line of the file "flo2". However, I would like to get "va" to match the begining of the line, so that is "va" is different than 45 (eg. 67, 12 ...) I would not have any output. That... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep and regular expression to find class references in a c++ file

I'm trying to math all class references in a C++ file using grep with regular expression. I'm trying to know if a specific include is usuless or not, so I have to know if there is a refence in cpp. I wrote this RE that searches for a reference from class ABCZ, but unfortunately it isn't working... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: passerby
0 Replies

4. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare files with regular expression

Readers, Reading a previous post about comparing files using awk ('awk-compare-2-columns-2-files-output-whole-line', https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/168432-awk-compare-2-columns-2-files-output-whole-line.html), it is possible to adjust this, so that regular expression can be used... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxr
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find out whether a file exists with the help of regular expression?

Hi all I have a list of file names in array. But this file names are not exact. so i want to search whether a file exists or not using regular expression. code snippet: if ; then echo "File exists" else echo "File does not exits" fi over here "*EQST*" should be treated as a regular... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh_more
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to using Regular expression to find file.?

Hi Gurus, I need to identify the file with below format: ABC20110101.DAT ABCD2011010103.DAT If I use ABC*\.DAT, it get two file. I want to get file after "ABC' then number, the ".DAT". I tried ABC* but it doesn't work. Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with Regular expression now working on file directories

Hello Everyone, I have a file sam1 with the below content SYSYSID;MANDT;/SIE/AD_Z0M_INDX;/SIE/AD_Z0M_KEY1 echo $Regex \bSYSYSID\b|\bMANDT\b|\b/SIE/AD_Z0M_INDX\b|\b/SIE/AD_Z0M_KEY1\b cat sam1 | grep -Eo $Regex I expect the result as SYSYSID MANDT /SIE/AD_Z0M_INDX /SIE/AD_Z0M_KEY1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help to compare file name with regular expression and do something with file

#!/bin/sh Today=date '+%Y%m%d' for file in `ls *.csv *txt` do echo "Start woprking with ${file}" if ; then do something elif ; then do something else echo "Unkniowned file name" ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
6 Replies
RMF(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)