Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to check the validity of password Post 302558579 by Pupil on Saturday 24th of September 2011 06:25:59 AM
Old 09-24-2011
Script to check the validity of password

Hi,

I have to validate the passwords for 100s of unix users across several servers. I have the list of unix users and servers with passwrods.

How can I check whether a password is correct or not using a single shell script?

Note : I do not have root privileges on any server. All the servers are Sun Solaris.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

password check

Hi While using Pipe concept ,if a user enters a "login name" and "paswword" ,then how does a child process check for user password is correct or not and give notification to parent process. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riya
1 Replies

2. Solaris

password complexity check

Hi, I am looking for a simple way to : - force the user to change his password following the first connexion - check the complexity of a password (password should has a least 8 characters with 1 special char and 1 alpha...). Thinks for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dbsora
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validity

Hey, I was wondering how I could write a bash script which accepts: cat <<% | bash ./results06 ---------------------------------------------------------- Exam Results 2006 ---------------------------------------------------------- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xerobeat
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check password age

Hi Guys, I hope one of you has already done this and is kind enough to share your script with me. I have a Solaris8 server that uses password aging for its local user accounts. I need a script that checks the age of the password and then sends the user an email if the password is about to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tornado
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking for command output validity

hi, i'm trying to write a script to check if the home directories of users are set correctly. below is an extract of the script here, i am trying to put the name of the owner of the home directory into the variable dirperm (by reading lines in /etc/passwd). however, it seems that when the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roddo90
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script check if ssh requires a password???

Thanks to the help from this forum i've learned a lot of good stuff but I still have questions :). I need to write a script that checks if ssh to a box requires a password. I need it will be an "if" statement, if ssh requires password, then do a key exchange(with i already have). Just need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding date numeral from file and check the validity of date format

hi there I have file names in different format as below triss_20111117_fxcb.csv triss_fxcb_20111117.csv xpnl_hypo_reu_miplvdone_11172011.csv xpnl_hypo_reu_miplvdone_11-17-2011.csv xpnl_hypo_reu_miplvdone_20111117.csv xpnl_hypo_reu_miplvdone_20111117xfb.csv... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date validity check

hi All, i have file in which it has 2000 records like, test.txt ==== 2011-03-01 2011-03-01 2011-03-01 2011-03-01 2011-03-01 2011-03-02 2011/03/02 previously i used for loop to find the date check like below, for i in `cat test.txt` do d=`echo $i | cut -c9-10| sed 's/^0*//'`;... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mechvijays
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password check in bash script calling on expect

password check in bash script calling on expect Background: I have to copy a file from one server, to over 100 servers in a test environment. once the file is copied, it requires to have the permissions on the file changed/verified. These are all linux servers. most of them have the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2legit2quit
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confirming validity of programming language tools

so i have scripts that get run in ways similar to this: cat script.pl | perl - $1 $2 $3 cat script.rb | ruby - $1 $ 2 $3 my question is, how can i verify that that the "perl" or "ruby" or "python" tool being run on the box is actually a legit tool? meaning, someone may move the tool from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
NSEND(1)							       nsend								  NSEND(1)

NAME
nsend - Send messages to users or groups SYNOPSIS
nsend [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] [ -a ] -i objectID | -c connNum[,...] | { [ -t recipient type ] -o recipient name | recipient name } message DESCRIPTION
With nsend, you can send messages to the user's workstations. nsend looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of .nwclient MUST be 0600, for security reasons. OPTIONS
recipient name recipient name is either the NetWare name of the user to receive the message or the name of an existing user group on that server. You can use wildcards in this specification. -o recipient name Specifies recipient's name. This can specify user or group. -t recipent type Specifies recipient's type. -c connNum[,...] Specifies connection numbers of recipients. You can use this option as workaround to deliver messages to directory services users. -i userID Specifies recipient's object ID. You can use this option as workaround to deliver messages to directory services users. message message is the message to be sent. Please note that this has to be a single command line argument. If you want to send a message that contains spaces, you have to quote them on the command line. For example, to annoy your system administrator, you should try nsend supervisor 'I know how this works!' Program first searches (wildcards allowed) bindery with recipients name and type. If user is found, message is sent to this user, if group is found, message is sent to this group. Other object types are ignored. If no suitable object was found in this phase, connection list for specified object is retrieved (no wildcards allowed) and message is sent to this object (including print servers and so on). No expansions on group is done this time. -a By default, nsend prepends 'From ....' text to message. You can suppress this by adding -a to command line. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user name If the user name your NetWare administrator gave to you differs from your unix user-id, you should use -U to tell the server about your NetWare user name. -P password You may want to give the password required by the server on the command line. You should be careful about using passwords in scripts. -n -n should be given if specified user does not have password. If neither -n nor -P are given, nsend prompts for a password. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. BUGS
Directory services connection are not supported yet. Options -c, -i and -o cannot be used together. If user is specified multiple times (using wildcards in group specification or by repeating same number in -c), message is delivered multi- ple times to him. SEE ALSO
nwclient(5), nprint(1), slist(1), ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8) CREDITS
nsend was written by looking at mars_nwe's message handling. Thanks to Martin Stover <mstover@freeway.de>. Support for Netware groups by Philippe Andersson <philippe_andersson@ste.scitex.com>. Support for connections greater than 255 by Petr Vandrovec <vandrove@vc.cvut.cz>. nsend 04/07/1999 NSEND(1)