Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Upgrade Solaris 10 Release
Operating Systems Solaris Upgrade Solaris 10 Release Post 302558219 by hartz on Friday 23rd of September 2011 05:39:25 AM
Old 09-23-2011
First stabs at an unknown problem...

Hello christr.

You did not ask any questions, only explained a situation.

I am going to assume the question is:

Quote:
How do I upgrade this system to the newer Solaris release and change the root file system to ZFS at the same time when I don't have an unused disk to use?
The answer is: With careful planning you might be able to do it. If worst comes to worst, we can do the following:
1. Make a backup of the system on another system on the network.
2. Reformat the disks via boot from CD.
3. Restore the system to the ZFS disks
4. Perform an upgrade
5. Ensure that the disks are bootable.

If you do have mirrored root disks, then this whole thing becomes very very easy and you will have almost no downtime at all! (Note to all: ALWAYS but ALWAYS mirror your root disk)

There may be many shortcuts, depending on just exactly how much disk space you have free and how much downtime you are willing to incur, and depending on how much you are willing to compromise the ideal configuration (whole disks managed entirely by ZFS)

For a start I would like to see the output of df -kl. If you use any disk management (SVM, VXVM, ???) please also dump the outputs (metastat -p, or whatever)

I also want to see the partition tables of all the disks, eg:

Code:
for X in $( ls /dev/dsk/*s2 ); do prtvtoc $X; done

And if you have unmounted partitions, then please let me know whether any of those are used as raw disk partitions by, for example, a database or other application.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 9 to Solaris 10 upgrade on Sun Fire 3800

Hello there! I have Sun Fire 3800 with very old Solaris 9 and I need to perform upgrade to concurrent Solaris 10 version, preserving current OS configuration. I supose to make it using Live Upgrade, but according to Solaris Live Upgrade Software: Minimum Patch Requirements page, I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Upgrade of release version

Hi All, I got a task to upgrade release version of Solaris-9. I need to upgrade from Solaris 9 (Update 7) to Solaris 9 (Update 9) . My current config is - root@tsdpt01:/# uname -a SunOS tsdpt01 5.9 Generic_118558-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 root@tsdpt01:/# cat /etc/release ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies

3. Debian

Upgrading Ubuntu Server (10.04) using do-release-upgrade

I have a small server in work, essentially a desktop with Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS. For the first time in it's life, I've started to get errors when running scripts involving large files. So before I give up on it, I was thinking of maybe getting the newer version of Ubuntu Server 14.04. I was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
4 Replies
vxbootsetup(1M) 														   vxbootsetup(1M)

NAME
vxbootsetup - set up system boot information on a Veritas Volume Manager disk SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxbootsetup [-g diskgroup] [medianame ... ] DESCRIPTION
The vxbootsetup utility configures physical disks so that they can be used to boot the system. Before vxbootsetup is called to configure a disk, the required volumes, standvol, rootvol and swapvol (and optionally, dumpvol) must be created on the disk. All of these volumes must be contiguous with only one subdisk. The -g option may be used to specify the boot disk group. If no medianame arguments are specified, all disks that contain usable mirrors of the root, swap, /usr and /var volumes are configured to be bootable. If medianame arguments are given, only the disks that are associated with the specified disk names are configured to be bootable. vxbootsetup requires that: o The root volume must be named rootvol and must have a usage type of root. o The swap volume must be named swapvol and must have a usage type of swap. o The volumes containing /usr and /var (if any) must be named usr and var, respectively. See the chapter "Recovery from Boot Disk Failure" in the Veritas Volume Manager Troubleshooting Guide for detailed information on how the system boots and how VxVM impacts the system boot process. The vxmirror, vxrootmir, and vxresize utilities call vxbootsetup automatically. If you use vxassist, or vxmake and vxplex to create mirrors of the root volume on a disk, you must run vxbootsetup explicitly to make the disk bootable. ARGUMENTS
medianame Specifies the disk name (disk media name) of a VM disk that is to be configured as bootable. SEE ALSO
disksetup(1M), edvtoc(1M), vxassist(1M), vxevac(1M), vxinstall(1M), vxintro(1M), vxmake(1M), vxmirror(1M), vxplex(1M), vxresize(1M), vxrootmir(1M) Veritas Volume Manager Troubleshooting Guide VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxbootsetup(1M)