Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris What is the purpose of Bind on Solaris 10? Post 302558113 by jastanle84 on Thursday 22nd of September 2011 06:23:19 PM
Old 09-22-2011
We don't use dns servers to resolve hostname to ip addresses, so I don't see the purpose of having bind on a machine just to have bind unless bind is absolutely for the operation of the OS. Is Bind absolutely needed for the operation of the OS?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

installing bind 9 on solaris 9

Hi! all, Can somebody send me the detailed steps of installing bind 9 on solaris 9 . When I tried to install it it is asking for gcc compiler . I tried to install the gcc3.2 compiler for sunfreeware but it throwing error which configure (CC enviroment to be set) . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepak9976
1 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris - BIND / DNS

hi all forgive my ignorance, but when IVe set up DNS Ive put in the various server details in the /etc/resolv.conf and away I go. Suddenly Ive been reading about DNS, and I need to created a /etc/named.conf file. so, my question is this. DNS, what part does the /etc/resolv.conf play in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 8 bind 9 named question

Hi, I can't rememeber what passwd is set for the "named" user in bind. Is there possibly a default one or anyway to find it ? I'm worried about changing it and causing other issues, if I did change it what other files would I need to edit ? :( Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sysop400
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Bind hang up when process is reaching to 500 Mb, Solaris 10u8, Sun T5140

Hi all, I use latest bind 9.6.1, brand-new T5140 Sun Server, 10u8 Solaris OS, Mar-2010 OS patch to configure a caching dns server. But bind always hang up when process/cache is reaching to 500 Mb ( Though 'prstat -a' check ) Can anyone help me a solution for this problem, i will greatly... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Purpose of inv

Hi All Can anybody tell me what is the purpose of inv in the below command. ftp -inv $RFTPSERVER /temp/te.txt << EOF and << its stands for what.. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raju4u
1 Replies

6. Solaris

BIND DNS Server issue on Solaris 10

Hi all, I have some sort of problem with BIND DNS server my environment as follows. bash-3.00# cat /etc/release Solaris 10 6/06 s10s_u2wos_09a SPARC Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

7. Solaris

DNS Bind Upgradation in Solaris 10

Hi All , My current Bind version is BIND 9.6.1 and I want upgrade the same to BIND 9.8.1-P1 ,Can any one provide the steps to do the same ? Solaris Version : 5.10 Generic_144488-11 sun4v sparc Thanks , (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep.tk
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Purpose of <>

Hi, I have read from the book that , <> causes the file to be used as both input as well as output. Can anyone give me the scenario where <> will be useful? Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
10 Replies

9. IP Networking

Solaris BIND question

I have three Solaris DNS servers, a master & two secondaries. On the master, There is an A record for one of my secondaries with an IP that is different from that servers physical IP address. There is also a corresponding PTR record for the same server & IP. I am trying to figure out what the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: woodwre
1 Replies
bind(3SOCKET)						     Sockets Library Functions						     bind(3SOCKET)

NAME
bind - bind a name to a socket SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lsocket -lnsl [ library ... ] #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> int bind(int s, const struct sockaddr *name, int namelen); DESCRIPTION
bind() assigns a name to an unnamed socket. When a socket is created with socket(3SOCKET), it exists in a name space (address family) but has no name assigned. bind() requests that the name pointed to by name be assigned to the socket. RETURN VALUES
If the bind is successful, 0 is returned. A return value of -1 indicates an error, which is further specified in the global errno. ERRORS
The bind() call will fail if: EACCES The requested address is protected, and {PRIV_NET_PRIVADDR} is not asserted in the effective set of the current process. EADDRINUSE The specified address is already in use. EADDRNOTAVAIL The specified address is not available on the local machine. EBADF s is not a valid descriptor. EINVAL namelen is not the size of a valid address for the specified address family. EINVAL The socket is already bound to an address. ENOSR There were insufficient STREAMS resources for the operation to complete. ENOTSOCK s is a descriptor for a file, not a socket. The following errors are specific to binding names in the UNIX domain: EACCES Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix of the pathname in name. EIO An I/O error occurred while making the directory entry or allocating the inode. EISDIR A null pathname was specified. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname in name. ENOENT A component of the path prefix of the pathname in name does not exist. ENOTDIR A component of the path prefix of the pathname in name is not a directory. EROFS The inode would reside on a read-only file system. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
unlink(2), socket(3SOCKET), attributes(5), privileges(5), socket.h(3HEAD) NOTES
Binding a name in the UNIX domain creates a socket in the file system that must be deleted by the caller when it is no longer needed byus- ing unlink(2). The rules used in name binding vary between communication domains. SunOS 5.10 20 Feb 2003 bind(3SOCKET)