Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with creating a simple program!! Post 302557844 by bshell_1214 on Thursday 22nd of September 2011 08:33:33 AM
Old 09-22-2011
Help with creating a simple program!!

i am new to shell scripting!! i am making this program in bourne shell, that asks the user to input "Hello (their name)" or "question (their name)", any other input, "ERROR" will be outputted.
if they input "Hello (name)", i want to out saying Hello (name) but if they input "question (name)", i want to output "how are you (name)"!

anyone has any idea how to do this?

thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating instances of a program

Hi, Presently I have script #!/bin/ksh in which 4 executables are executed as 1,2,3 and 4.Executable 2 is an extract program which extracts records from a table.and executable 4 is a program that updates a database. Currenlty this process takes a hell lot of time and my aim is to reduce the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_johri
2 Replies

2. Programming

a simple chat program

any suggestions on how i could create a simple chat program between two terminals using pipes? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kelogs1347
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a simple archiving script

Im trying to create a script to archive specified directories into a specified tarball backup file. This is what i want the input to look like ex. save -i '/bin/b*' -i '/bin/ls' -o backup this is what i have #!/bin/bash #save - backup file script unset myInput unset myOutput while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lensmen
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating simple shell program

Hi, I'm new to UNIX shell programming... can anyone help in doing the following : 1) create a text file named "Model File" having following columns : Name Number Physics Chemistry 2) prompt user to n rows enter the name, number, physics ,chemistry 3) display the entire columns and rows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mayuri P R
1 Replies

5. Programming

Xlib simple program.

I don't know if it is right to ask you this. Can someone help me write a simple Xlib program,with button on it,and all that button do is switch 2 messages. I have tried and tried,but never get past Hello World. Can someone help me please? ---------- Post updated at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: megane16v
2 Replies

6. Programming

Creating a simple Help Desk system in PHP

hi guys i'm new to php,,i'm asked to develop a simple online help desk (where the admin can view the problem an forward it to another one to handle it and so on) or get a ready sytem then modify alil on it but i dont know where to start ir to find any suggestion please? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedah160
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple program. (beginner)

Hey all, Writing a program that searches for a username and if they are online creates a 'beep' and sends the username and date to a log file. the error i am getting is: paul.obrien16@aisling:~/os$ bash checklogin : command not found Enter username paul.obrien16 ': not a valid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sexyladywall
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Creating a simple ID Script

Hello everybody, :wall:I am new to Linux and I want to create a simple script on Ubuntu that will allow to make database with a few perimeters. create file and name it Database and complete it with any information id firstname lastname phone 0 1 2 3 4 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkishore4580
4 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with creating a simple shell script

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a shell script that accepts two arguments. The two arguments are the name of 2 files. • If the arguments... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scripter12345
3 Replies
DEBCONF-SET-SELECTIONS(1)					      Debconf						 DEBCONF-SET-SELECTIONS(1)

NAME
debconf-set-selections - insert new default values into the debconf database SYNOPSIS
debconf-set-selections file debconf-get-selections | ssh newhost debconf-set-selections DESCRIPTION
debconf-set-selections can be used to pre-seed the debconf database with answers, or to change answers in the database. Each question will be marked as seen to prevent debconf from asking the question interactively. Reads from a file if a filename is given, otherwise from stdin. WARNING
Only use this command to seed debconf values for packages that will be or are installed. Otherwise you can end up with values in the database for uninstalled packages that will not go away, or with worse problems involving shared values. It is recommended that this only be used to seed the database if the originating machine has an identical install. DATA FORMAT
The data is a series of lines. Lines beginning with a # character are comments. Blank lines are ignored. All other lines set the value of one question, and should contain four values, each separated by one character of whitespace. The first value is the name of the package that owns the question. The second is the name of the question, the third value is the type of this question, and the fourth value (through the end of the line) is the value to use for the answer of the question. Alternatively, the third value can be "seen"; then the preseed line only controls whether the question is marked as seen in debconf's database. Note that preseeding a question's value defaults to marking that question as seen, so to override the default value without marking a question seen, you need two lines. Lines can be continued to the next line by ending them with a "" character. EXAMPLES
# Force debconf priority to critical. debconf debconf/priority select critical # Override default frontend to readline, but allow user to select. debconf debconf/frontend select readline debconf debconf/frontend seen false OPTIONS
--verbose, -v verbose output --checkonly, -c only check the input file format, do not save changes to database SEE ALSO
debconf-get-selections(1) (available in the debconf-utils package) AUTHOR
Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> 2011-06-22 DEBCONF-SET-SELECTIONS(1)