Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: check if files exists
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check if files exists Post 302557340 by bshell_1214 on Wednesday 21st of September 2011 12:47:49 AM
Old 09-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by itkamaraj
Code:

bash-3.00$ ls *.abc > /dev/null 2>&1 && (echo ".txt files are there";ls *.txt) || echo "No files"                                                           
No files
bash-3.00$ ls *.txt > /dev/null 2>&1 && (echo ".txt files are there";ls *.txt) || echo "No files"                                                           
.txt files are there
new.txt      old.txt

thanks, but is it bourne shell? i am only new to shell scripting!!! please explain!!

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a direcorty exists?

Hi Good people :D How do I check if a directory exists, if it does then carry on rest of the script, otherwise exit. ------------- cd $mainfolder/system1 #unzips files arrived in last 24 hrs into temp directory find * -mmin -1440 -exec unzip {} \; I'd like to check here if temp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SunnyK
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if database exists?

Hi folks! First off I'm working with a Sybase DB. I'm using you're basic ISQL command to connect to my Sybase DB... isql -S$DB_SERVER -D$DB_NAME -U$DB_USR -P$DB_PWD <<!EOF > $log_file My question is, is there a way to determine if a database exists using shell script? For example, if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fatbob
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOW TO CHECK ONLY .C FILES EXISTS OR NOT IN A FOLDER using IF in C shell script?

Hi friends.. I hav a problem.... I dont know how to check .c files exists r not in a folder using IF in C shell script actually i tried like this if(=~ *.c) even though some .c files or there in the current folder..it is not entering int o the if control statement...... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.hemadrireddy
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Files to Dir and Check If File Exists

Hi everyone. I am trying to write a bash script that will copy files from one directory to another but I need to be able to check the directory that I'm copying the files to and see if the file already exists. If it does I need to add a number at the end of the copied file. Thanks for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snag49ers
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check to see if a file exists?

I want to write a script to see if various files exist. What I want to do is have the script search in various directories if a file exist, and if not, then output something like "/path/file does not exist". I don't actually know of how to check and see if a file exists or not. What I have in mind... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astropi
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check if two files exists at the same time in one location

Hi friends, I am trying to check if the two files i am expecting are created in a specific location. if both files does not exist, do an echo if -a ]; then echo "files not found" fi It gives me the following message: bash: Please help! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if PID exists

In a Shell Script what is the most generic way to find in the PID exists or not. If it does not exist how can I echo the user "PID does not exist" & terminate the unix script ? If the command can work on most flavors of operating system the more useful I will find it to be. Current system... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check more than 1 file specified files exists?

Hi all, One of my script crated created 2 files in a dirs Output.log and Output.tmp. Now in another script i need to check if both of the above mentioned files are present in a directory or not. I know to check one file but need to check both the files. Anyone could please tell me how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girijajoshi
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if file exists

I need to check whether a file exists and has been changed. The file should contain a specific string. The file should also have been changed within the last ten seconds. How do I do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
3 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)