Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Linux commands in shell script? Post 302557312 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 20th of September 2011 11:18:01 PM
Old 09-21-2011
Tail puts the filename as a header if you pass more than 1 file to it at once, so
Code:
$ tail a b c
==> a <==
one
==> b <==
two
==> c <==
three

and
Code:
$ tail a; tail b; tail c
one
two
three

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run unix commands in a new shell inside a shell script?

Hi , I am having one situation in which I need to run some simple unix commands after doing "chroot" command in a shell script. Which in turn creates a new shell. So scenario is that - I need to have one shell script which is ran as a part of crontab - in this shell script I need to do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkapil
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sql commands in shell script

hi, plz let me know one example in using sql command in shell script thanks inadvance -bali. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get ascii value using shell commands/script

Hi gurus, Need command/code to get the ASCII value for a character say 65 for A and vice versa in shell script. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittu1979
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why can't embed commands like fg or bg in a shell script ?

Hi Can someone explain in an easy way that why can't embed commands like fg or bg in a shell script ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing a shell script of commands

Can anyone help me out in visualizing on what is the logic behind simple unix commands. For Eg: ls command lists files and directories, how it displays I need to know the source code for commands like this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul_11d
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use a Shell Script for specific commands

I have a set of commands that I am using to copy specific areas of source code in a Cold Fusion document and export the code into recreations of the original files into a sub-directory. Here are the 3 commands I am using: mkdir ./out && for x in *.cfm; do awk '{FS="<!-- InstanceBeginEditable... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: dratech09
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Ex editor commands in a shell script - Help!

Hi all, I am trying to use the Ex editor and its commands in a script - more specifically within an if statement within a while loop. Here are the basics of the loop: cat $file1 | while read line do grep $line $file2 if ] then echo $line > $file2 elseex $file2 /ESI185... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luke222010
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Commands to run from shell script

Hi script> isumid 98765432 if i give above command in cmd prompt it is running the same thing if i give inside the shell script it is not working below is the code #!/bin/bash isumid 98765432 please give me a solution (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramrangasamy
16 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Two exec commands in one shell script?

Hi Folks - Is there a way to add two execs to one script? For instance, I need to redirect the stdout and stderr to two separate directories. I want to do this: #::-- Direct STDOUT and STDERROR to repositories --::# exec 2>"${_ERRORFILE}" > "${_LOGFILE}" exec 2>"/new/path/file.err" >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
7 Replies
MTAIL(1)							   User Commands							  MTAIL(1)

NAME
mtail - tail variant designed for web developers monitoring logfiles SYNOPSIS
mtail [options] <file>... DESCRIPTION
MonkeyTail allows a user to tail multiple files on both local and remote hosts and clearly marks inactivity by putting 5 newlines in the output whenever a pause in output over 3 seconds is detected. MonkeyTail is implemented a fairly simple wrapper script around standard tail, ssh, and sudo. OPTIONS
-q Quiet mode --quiet " " -n Output the last N lines of each file before tailing (defaults to 0) <file>... Files to tail. These can specified in the following ways: @<groupname> - expands the group (from .mtailrc) to a list of files to tail <filename> - tails a local file. +<filename> - attempts to sudo and tail a local file (will prompt for pwd if required). <remotehost>:<filename> - attempts to invoke tail via ssh on a remote host. +<remotehost>:<filename> - attempts to invoke sudo tail via ssh on a remote host (will prompt for pwd if required). SEE ALSO
mtailrc(5), tail(1) AUTHOR
Martyn Smith <martyn@dollyfish.net.nz> mtail May 2008 MTAIL(1)