Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using commands inside sed substitution Post 302557299 by tamil.pamaran on Tuesday 20th of September 2011 09:26:58 PM
Old 09-20-2011
Guruprasad,

Thanks for your response. However I am not looking this one. I exactly want to know how to use date command in substitution replace string. a log file will be read from the pipeline where each line will have a date string which has to be replaced with the date in different format(Numerical).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String substitution on find results inside exec/xargs

What I'm trying to do is perform a copy, well a ditto actually, on the results of a find command, but some inline string substitution needs to happen. So if I run this code find ./ -name "*.tif" I get back these results. .//1234567.tif .//abcdefg.tif Now the action from exec or xargs I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myndcraft
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing UNIX commands inside sed

Hi, In sed, is it possible to match patterns by directly executing UNIX commands inside sed? For e.g. - sed "s/`cat file.txt | cut -d "|" -f2`/replace_string" Will the above command work? My expectation is to search for the second field in file.txt (file delimited by | ) and replace... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: devanathann
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use ftp commands inside shell script? Help please

Dears, I'm new in shell scripting and i need your help, i would like to know how can i create a script to ftp to a certain unix/linux machine/server IP address and get a file for example without user intervention? How can i force the script to use a certain username and password to access this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh command substitution not executing block commands

We have a function defined in a ksh script that gets called repeatedly and concurrently by background jobs called from within the same shell script file to run PL/SQL commands against an Oracle database. The function is below: runPLSQL() { ORACLE_SID=${1} procName=${2} #... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjgst5
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable inside command substitution

Hello people. Part of my script: SUBSETID=`echo $PMFILE |sed 's/pmresult_//' | sed 's/_*//'` MAPFILE=`find /huawei/cell /huawei/nodeb /huawei/rnc -name 'mapping_$SUBSETID.txt' |grep -v backup` Unfortunatelly variable $SUBSETID in the MAPFILE declaration will not return the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Sed to do a substitution inside ksh

I'm trying to do an ls from inside of a ksh script. I loop through the results one line at a time and attempt to do a substitution using sed to convert YYYYMMDD from the older files into the newer files. Basically sometimes the ETL load runs over midnight and half the files are off by one day... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calbrenar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating execution of commands inside a program

I have a program dnapars I execute the program from command line as following: ./dnapars The program then prompts me some message as a user menu from where I have to select a series of options in the order R U Y R. And then I copy the output file (outfile) in another result file. I wrote the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deeptisjains
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command substitution inside of a variable expression (AIX, KORN)

Hello all. This is my first post/question on this site. I’m a new Systems Analyst with previous experience with BASH. Although now I'm using AIX, and I’m trying to get a feel for the Korn shell (for those of you that don’t know AIX only uses the KORN shell). I hope I put this into the correct... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sydox
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

RMAN commands inside crontab shell script

Hello I'm trying to write simple script to delete archive logs for RMAN, unfortunately it's not working, I tried two way to do that: #!/bin/ksh echo "Start ....." rman target=/ << EOF RUN { delete force noprompt archivelog until time 'sysdate-10'; } EXIT; EOF echo "END ..." echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi quick substitution commands

I have a script that has quite a lot of these types of entries: hello=$(who am i) good=$(blahblah) what i want to do is replace the $( and the ) with `` so that they look like this: hello=`who am i` good=`blahblah` I tried this: :%s~=$(&&)$~=`&&`$~g (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
GMDATE(3)								 1								 GMDATE(3)

gmdate - Format a GMT/UTC date/time

SYNOPSIS
string gmdate (string $format, [int $timestamp = time()]) DESCRIPTION
Identical to the date(3) function except that the time returned is Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). PARAMETERS
o $format - The format of the outputted date string. See the formatting options for the date(3) function. o $timestamp - The optional $timestamp parameter is an integer Unix timestamp that defaults to the current local time if a $timestamp is not given. In other words, it defaults to the value of time(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns a formatted date string. If a non-numeric value is used for $timestamp, FALSE is returned and an E_WARNING level error is emitted. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | The valid range of a timestamp is typically from | | | Fri, 13 Dec 1901 20:45:54 GMT to Tue, 19 Jan 2038 | | | 03:14:07 GMT. (These are the dates that corre- | | | spond to the minimum and maximum values for a | | | 32-bit signed integer). However, before PHP 5.1.0 | | | this range was limited from 01-01-1970 to | | | 19-01-2038 on some systems (e.g. Windows). | | | | | 5.1.1 | | | | | | | There are useful constants of standard date/time | | | formats that can be used to specify the $format | | | parameter. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 gmdate(3) example When run in Finland (GMT +0200), the first line below prints "Jan 01 1998 00:00:00", while the second prints "Dec 31 1997 22:00:00". <?php echo date("M d Y H:i:s", mktime(0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1998)); echo gmdate("M d Y H:i:s", mktime(0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1998)); ?> SEE ALSO
date(3), mktime(3), gmmktime(3), strftime(3). PHP Documentation Group GMDATE(3)