Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: for loop substitution error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting for loop substitution error Post 302557143 by gary_w on Tuesday 20th of September 2011 12:36:16 PM
Old 09-20-2011
I believe you want parenthesis, not curly braces around your commandline:
Code:
$(ls -al |grep prod | awk '{ print $NF }') 

Last edited by Franklin52; 09-21-2011 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags, thank you
This User Gave Thanks to gary_w For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution error

Hi The following command gives me error :The specified substitution is not valid for this command export DB_ID=${DB_${MART}_USER} What is the correct syntax for the above ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosec
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution Error while renaming Extension

Hi All, We are in the process of Migrating from AIX 4 to Solaris 10 and getting a Few Errors. I have been programming in shell but could never establish muself as an expert, hence please need you help. I am Getting Bad Substitution error in my script, I have isolated the issue and its... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkhanore
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error in ksh

hi, i created a shell script having the following content: #! /usr/bin/ksh FROM="myemail@domain.com" MAILTO="someemail@domain" SUBJECT="TEST" BODY="/export/home/adshocker/body.txt" ATTACH="/export/home/adshocker/attach.prog" echo $ATTACH ATTACH_NAME="${ATTACH##*/}" echo $ATTACH_NAME... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error in ksh

Hello, In bash I can use the following: TMP=12345 MID=${TMP:1:1} the expected result is: 2 but when using KSH I'm getting a ''bad substitution" error. What is the correct syntaxin ksh? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error!

Hi All, I'm building a new shell script but i'm facing a problem with one line which is giving "bad substitution" error. Please assist script lines: #!/bin/sh printf "%s: " "Occurrence DATE (YYYYMMDD)"; read DATE shortdate=${DATE#??} o/p: ./test1: bad substitution This command is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Get file name in shell scrip loop: bad substitution

Hi guys. Good day, morning, afternoon or night, depending on where you live. I have a script shell in which I am looping on files (absolute path) see code section above. I always have an error: bad substitution. :wall: Is it because my variable file is the index of the loop and not a normal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soueric
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution error - What is this please?

Hi All, I have no idea what this line in a script I inherited suppose to do? Can you help please? This is the line in the script echo "\n this is a test." this is the output Output \n this is a test: bad substitution What does this line suppose t odo > Any why am I getting this error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command substitution error in linux.

Hi All I have a code like in a script echo 'export '${colname}'='"'"`db2 -x "SELECT TRIM(${colname}) FROM ${DB_SCHEMA_NAME}.ETL_ALERT_CONFIG"'`"'" >> ${CM_CONFIG_FILE} After execution of the script its throwing me error at this code like ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad substitution error in shell script

I have script data.sh which has following error. Script Name : data.sh #!/bin/sh infile=$1 len=${#infile} echo $len texfile=${infile:0:$len-4} echo $texfile run command ./data.sh acb.xml I get following error message: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: man4ish
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad substitution error while working with substring

Hi I'm using ksh. And i'm trying to get the substring like below. but giving the following error #!/bin/ksh foo=teststring bar=${foo:0:5} echo $bar And the error is ./sbstr_test.sh: bar=${foo:0:5}: bad substitution what is wrong in this script. Please correct me ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies
DH-EXEC-SUBST(1)						      dh-exec							  DH-EXEC-SUBST(1)

NAME
dh-exec-subst - Debhelper executable file substition scripts SYNOPSIS
#! /usr/bin/dh-exec src/libfoo-*.so.* debian/foo-plugins/usr/lib/foo/${DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH}/ DESCRIPTION
Being a sub-command of dh-exec(1), this program must not be ran directly, but through dh-exec, which automatically runs all available sub-commands if run bare; or explicitly with dh-exec --with=subst. It is a wrapper around the various other substitution helpers, and will pipe the input file through all the available substitution helpers. It is up to these scripts to do the actual work. When a helper fails to expand a variable within its input, it will leave it as-is, so that later in the pipeline it can perhaps be expanded by another program. SCRIPTS
dh-exec-subst-env Substitutes any of the available, exported environment variables into its input. It does not do any kind of filtering: whatever is available in the environment, will be available for substitution, however unsafe that may be. dh-exec-subst-multiarch Attempts to expand any of the variables known to dpkg-architecture(1), mostly useful for multi-arch support. The command will query dpkg-architecture(1) directly, and does not rely on environment variables set (as the called program will prefer already set environment variables anyway). ENVIRONMENT
DH_EXEC_SCRIPTDIR Indicates which directory the command-specific scripts should be sought for. If not specified, scripts will be searched for in /usr/share/dh-exec/. FILES
$DH_EXEC_SCRIPTDIR/dh-exec-subst-* The various scripts for the higher-level program. SEE ALSO
debhelper(1), dh-exec(1) AUTHOR
dh-exec-subst is copyright (C) 2011-2012 by Gergely Nagy <algernon@madhouse-project.org>. 2012-05-03 DH-EXEC-SUBST(1)