Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers counting occurrence of characters in a string Post 302557125 by exit86 on Tuesday 20th of September 2011 12:14:42 PM
Old 09-20-2011
Thanks a lot Corona688,

I modified the script you posted to fit my need and having a strange behavior.
The script below works fine on cygwin (on my windows) but when I run it on AIX box the results are different.

Code:
STR="0:0:1:2:0:1:0:0:2:2:1:1:0"
 echo "$STR" | awk 'BEGIN { FS="" }
        { for(N=1;N<=NF;N++) if ($N!=":")  A[$N]++ fi}
        END { for(K in A)  print K, A[K] }'

Cygwin output:
Code:
0 6
1 4
2 3

AIX output:
Code:
0:0:1:2:0:1:0:0:2:2:1:1:0 1

Any ideas? sorry for my ignorance, I am a java developer stuck in doing UNIX scripting Smilie
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment
Please use code tags when posting data and code samples!

Last edited by vgersh99; 09-20-2011 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: code tags, please!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting characters

Dears, I would like to count the number of "(" and ")" that occur in a file. (syntax checking script). I tried to use "grep -c" and this works fine as long as there is only one character (for which I do a search) on a line. Has anyone an idea how I can count the number of specific characters... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of occurances of all characters (a-z) in a string

Hi, I am trying out different scripts in PERL. I want to take a line/string as an input from the user and count the number of occurrances of all the alphabets (a..z) in the string. I tried doingit like this : #! /opt/exp/bin/perl print "Enter a string or line : "; $string = <STDIN>; chop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsendhilmani
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting characters

Hi All, I need some help in counting the number of letters in a big file with separations. Following is the file I have >AB_1 MLKKPIIIGVTGGSGGGKTSVSRAILDSFPNARIAMIQHDSYYKDQSHMSFEERVKTNYDHPLAFDTDFM IQQLKELLAGRPVDIPIYDYKKHTRSNTTFRQDPQDVIIVEGILVLEDERLRDLMDIKLFVDTDDDIRII... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters within a file

Ok say I wanted to count every Y in a data file. Then set Y as my delimiter so that I can separate my file by taking all the contents that occur BEFORE the first Y and store them in a variable so that I may use this content later on in my program. Then I could do the same thing with the next Y's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove characters from string based on occurrence of a string

Hello Folks.. I need your help .. here the example of my problem..i know its easy..i don't all the commands in unix to do this especiallly sed...here my string.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj_vw_dec2_dfgh_dwq desired output is.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj it's a simple task with tail... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting occurrence of all words in a file

Hi, Given below is the input file: http://i53.tinypic.com/2vmvzb8.png Given below is what the output file should look like: http://i53.tinypic.com/1e6lfq.png I know how to count the occurrence of 1 word from a file, but not all of them. Can someone help please? An explanation on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r4v3n
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all characters before the last occurrence of /

Hi All, I have a text file with the following text in it: file:///About/accessibility.html file:///About/disclaimer.html file:///About/disclaimer.html#disclaimer file:///pubmed?term=%22Dacre%20I%22%5BAuthor%5D file:///pubmed?term=%22Madigan%20J%22%5BAuthor%5D... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters at each position

Hi All, here's a question from newbie I have a data like this, which set of small DNA sequences separated by new line GAATCCGGAAACAGCAACTTCAAANCA GTNATTCGGGCCAAACTGTCGAA TTNGGCAACTGTTAGAGCTCATGCGACA CCTGCTAAACGAGTTCGAGTTGAANGA TTNCGGAAGTGGTCGCTGGCACGG ACNTGCATGTACGGAGTGACGAAACCI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amits22
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split binary file every occurrence of a group of characters

Hello I am new to scripts, codes, bash, terminal, etc. I apologize this my be very scattered because I frankly don't have any idea where to begin and I have had trouble sleeping lately. I have several 2GB files I wish to split. This Code 00 00 01 BA ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** C3 F8 00 00 01 BB 00... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickE
17 Replies
RECINS(1)							   User Commands							 RECINS(1)

NAME
recins - insert records in a recfile SYNOPSIS
recins [OPTION]... [t TYPE] [-n NUM | -e EXPR | -q STR | -m NUM] [(-f STR -v STR]|[-R RECDATA)]... [FILE] DESCRIPTION
Insert new records in a rec database. -f, --field=STR field name; should be followed by a -v. -v, --value=STR field value; should be preceded by an -f. -r, --record=STR record that will be inserted in the file. --force insert the record even if it is violating record restrictions. --no-external don't use external descriptors. --no-auto don't insert auto generated fields. --verbose give a detailed report if the integrity check fails. -s, --password=STR encrypt confidential fields with the given password. --help print a help message and exit. --version show version and exit. Record selection options: -i, --case-insensitive make strings case-insensitive in selection expressions. -t, --type=TYPE operate on records of the specified type only. -e, --expression=EXPR selection expression. -q, --quick=STR select records with fields containing a string. -n, --number=NUM,... select specific records by position, with ranges. -R, --random=NUM select a given number of random records. If no FILE is specified then the command acts like a filter, getting the data from standard input and writing the result to standard out- put. AUTHOR
Written by Jose E. Marchesi. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to: bug-recutils@gnu.org GNU recutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/recutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010, 2011, 2012 Jose E. Marchesi. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for recins is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and recins programs are properly installed at your site, the command info recins should give you access to the complete manual. recins 1.4.93 January 2012 RECINS(1)