Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Strange error: grep does not read from file Post 302557022 by vbe on Tuesday 20th of September 2011 10:08:07 AM
Old 09-20-2011
Should be:
Code:
cat file1.txt|while read line ;do grep "$line" file2.txt;done

But your last example is maybe better still...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Strange error with file access permissions

All, I am trying to copy some data from /admin/reports/Sept/ccn/c_ivsstr01 to /home/users/myhomedir and I am getting an error I have never seen before: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. The permissions on the file are -rw-r--r-- and I am the owner of the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file then grep the line

Dear all, I am reading a file that has 1 column. While reading I must find the line references from the another file. The following shell doesn't works. Please help #!/bin/bash while read filename; do grep ${filename} fs_full.dat >> unprocfull.dat; done < unproc.dat But when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange read "error"

Good day. I really hope U can help me with this as I'm stumped! In the command line eg: read X; echo $x . Works perfectly fine. Then running the same thing in my script it sometimes exiqute immediatly after pressing enter and continuiing. Not exiting the script I re-run the "read" section.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Blooper1980
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in variable data from another file - grep

Hello! I think this should be an easy solution. I have a large file with many fields of data. The first field has a unique identifier (a subject number) for every record for a chunk of data. Something like this: There were ten experimental conditions (ec), but the ec is identified by only... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccox85
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange error while splitting a file

Hi folks I am facing a strange error while splitting a '|' delimited file 'file1' based on column '3'. (File is 40 columns wide). I wish to create as many files 'file_n' from the file 'file1' as distinct values of the column '3'; in 'file1' eg: file1: qwe|qweqw|123|fg... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: powerslave
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a file that may contain strange characters

Hello unix users :) I am trying to grep a string from a file that both the file and the string may have characters in them that are quite... strange, like würzburger. Well, bash reads this as W%C3%BCrzburger For example, if i do wget W%C3%BCrzburger the output is: --2012-01-08... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

read from file and grep using shell

Hi Guys, I have a small script which greps for the username reading from stdinput. ./file.sh pattern pattern=$1 grep "blah blah.*$pattern" /home/user/log.txt Instead of typing the pattern everytime i want to read the pattern from a file inside the shell script and execute the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Read a file and send mail based on grep

Hi All, I am having a job and I need to send email when the job is running. On any other case (success,fail) I don't needed to send email. I check with BMC they told they dont have that in the version I am using. So I created a dependent job and grepped for the status and sent email. My... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read each file grep a value from that?

Hi Team, in /tmp folder i have thousands of log files i want to read each file and grep a value called "Calling This". Each logfile name is different but it ends with .log. How can i achieve this? Please excuse if i did any mistake by not following forum standards. I will surely follow... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: darling
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help for faster file read and grep in big files

I have a very big input file <inputFile1.txt> which has list of mobile no inputFile1.txt 3434343 3434323 0970978 85233 ... around 1 million records i have another file as inputFile2.txt which has some log detail big file inputFile2.txt afjhjdhfkjdhfkd df h8983 3434343 | 3483 | myout1 |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
3 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -exEX3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 The -E and -X are similar to -e and -x, respectively, but treat overlapping changes (i.e., changes that would be flagged with ==== in the normal listing) differently. The overlapping lines from both files will be inserted by the edit script, bracketed by "<<<<<<" and ">>>>>>" lines. For example, suppose lines 7-8 are changed in both file1 and file2. Applying the edit script generated by the command "diff3 -E file1 file2 file3" to file1 results in the file: lines 1-6 of file1 <<<<<<< file1 lines 7-8 of file1 ======= lines 7-8 of file3 >>>>>>> file3 rest of file1 The -E option is used by RCS merge(1) to insure that overlapping changes in the merged files are preserved and brought to someone's atten- tion. FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/libexec/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. 7th Edition October 21, 1996 DIFF3(1)