Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help on untar files in one command Post 302556775 by Corona688 on Monday 19th of September 2011 12:54:22 PM
Old 09-19-2011
That's a useless use of backticks and useless use of cat and almost always better done as

Code:
while read LINE
do
done < filename

As for how to feed all those filenames into tar, if none of the files contain spaces or quotes in filenames, it's easy enough, use xargs. "echo a b c | xargs command" amounts to "command a b c", and it can read from a file.
Code:
xargs tar -xvf filename.tar < tar_list

If possible it will squeeze it alll into one tar call, but for too many files, it may have to break it into a few.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a shell script to untar files

I am new to shell scripting and would appreciate any help I can get. I need to write a Unix shell script that I will run whenever I have a tar file to uncompress(Korn shell). Please put in mind that I have different environements that I will run it on. Thanks in advance ;) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkem22
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to untar *.dpk files

Hi All, I am unable to untar *.dpkg.md5 using tar command. Could nay one help me out. Thanks & Regards Gauri (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauri
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can you UnTar files to a different directory?

Suppose you have a TAR file created with a different directory structure and you need to UnTar (or explode) the files to a different directory structure. How can this be done? If TAR command cannot do this, are there any other alternatives (any other command) available to UnTar a .Tar file? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshivaibhav
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

untar

i have try to untar the file in same location. But it gave the error # tar -xvf TSMSRVAIX5220.tar x tivoli.tsm.devices.acsls, 757760 bytes, 1480 media blocks. tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 4011 not equal to 8222. How can i rectify this prob. Thanks in advance ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash96453
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar remotely

I need to upload tar or zip files to a unix server than unzip or untar them remotely. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do the remote untar or unzip? For example does someone know of a cgi script or something? Thanks -jz (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script required to uncompress and untar files

I need a shell script to Uncompress untar all the files present in the directory (it should Uncompress an untar files present in its sub folders also) In my work I get lots of tar files to untar and update the server, for this each time in need to type Step1) “ Uncompress xyz1-3.tar.z”... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arewe
2 Replies

7. AIX

untar

Hi, How can i untar a set of files in to different directory. This is content tar -tvf samba.tar drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 Nov 28 18:35:41 2008 samba/ -rw-r--r-- 0 0 0 Nov 18 15:12:40 2008 samba/b.txt -rw-r--r-- 0 0 0 Nov 18 15:12:40 2008 samba/c.txt -rw-r--r-- 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allwin
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar files from different locations

Hi all, My tar file exists in directory: /usr/users/rovolis/test1/archive.tar Now from directory: /usr/users/rovolis/ i run the following command tar xvzf /usr/users/rovolis/test1/archive.tar The problem is that the extraction of files is not done Any idea why? Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp, chown, untar

hello i want shell script. i have a source.txt /home/user409/public_html/test/ /home/user09876/public_html/xdsss/ /home/user9765/public_html/320xxx/ . . . maybe 1000 lines i want . 1.read a source.txt 2.untar special.tar.gz into these directory in source.txt 3.i want to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and untar the files using single line

Hi, i want tar the files from one location and untar it to other location using single line. Can any one help me zip and unzip using single line command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venikathir
2 Replies
LWP-DOWNLOAD(1) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   LWP-DOWNLOAD(1)

NAME
lwp-download - Fetch large files from the web SYNOPSIS
lwp-download [-a] [-s] <url> [<local path>] DESCRIPTION
The lwp-download program will save the file at url to a local file. If local path is not specified, then the current directory is assumed. If local path is a directory, then the last segment of the path of the url is appended to form a local filename. If the url path ends with slash the name "index" is used. With the -s option pick up the last segment of the filename from server provided sources like the Content- Disposition header or any redirect URLs. A file extension to match the server reported Content-Type might also be appended. If a file with the produced filename already exists, then lwp-download will prompt before it overwrites and will fail if its standard input is not a terminal. This form of invocation will also fail is no acceptable filename can be derived from the sources mentioned above. If local path is not a directory, then it is simply used as the path to save into. If the file already exists it's overwritten. The lwp-download program is implemented using the libwww-perl library. It is better suited to down load big files than the lwp-request program because it does not store the file in memory. Another benefit is that it will keep you updated about its progress and that you don't have much options to worry about. Use the "-a" option to save the file in text (ascii) mode. Might make a difference on dosish systems. EXAMPLE
Fetch the newest and greatest perl version: $ lwp-download http://www.perl.com/CPAN/src/latest.tar.gz Saving to 'latest.tar.gz'... 11.4 MB received in 8 seconds (1.43 MB/sec) AUTHOR
Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> perl v5.12.1 2010-07-05 LWP-DOWNLOAD(1)