Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using csh / awk / sed to compare database sizes in a txt file Post 302556631 by stevie_g on Monday 19th of September 2011 08:30:04 AM
Old 09-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1418
Code:
kent$  cat a
stevie_db 13000 LIVE
stevie_db 13000 TEST
stevie_db 14000 DEVELOPMENT
john_db 25000 LIVE
john_db 25000 TEST
john_db 25000 DEVELOPMENT

kent$  awk '{if(!a[$1])a[$1]=$2; if (a[$1]!=$2)print $1,$3;}' a

stevie_db DEVELOPMENT

Thanks for your help with this. However, when i try to run it (from the command line) I get the error
Code:
% cat a
stevie_db 13000 LIVE
stevie_db 13000 TEST
stevie_db 14000 DEVELOPMENT
john_db 25000 LIVE
john_db 25000 TEST
john_db 25000 DEVELOPMENT

awk '{if(!a[$1])a[$1]=$2; if (a[$1]!=$2)print $1,$3;}' a

a[$1])a[$1]=$2;: Event not found

any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Last edited by Scott; 09-19-2011 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare file sizes

Is there a command that will return the name of the largest file within a directory? If so, can I set the returned filename into a variable? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joli
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

txt file to oracle database

hiya, i have a query: i want to read a file which contains: 2005/02/21 16:56:54.301: 111 PS (200, 10) sent <log instrument="FXA.ROSS"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorhul
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check and report database file sizes...

Need help for a script to check and report database file sizes. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marconi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare file sizes

hi ls -l * | sed 's/\+/ /g' | cut -f5 -d " " >out1 ls -l * | sed 's/\+/ /g' | cut -f5 -d " " >out2 diff out1 out2 i tried this it will work fine and i can see difference but i need a script which should neglect, if the difference b/w files is small and it should display... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: revenna
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

compare file percent sizes

I need to get a file size and compare it to a previous day file size. If it's larger or smaller by 50 percent I'll replace the new with the old. I know how to get the file sizes but do not know how to calculate if it's 50 percent difference. Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two file sizes.

Hi everyone! I need to compare two file sizes. One of them (size) will be stored in a flat file and the other coming from a listed file. I can now get the first file size using: SIZE=`ls -l $DOCTYPE | awk '{print $5}'` 1. How can I store this value in a flat file? 2. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare file sizes

I need to write a bash script larger X Y that compares the sizes of two specified files X and Y, and reports which file is larger. For example, if X is larger, the output should be "File X is larger", while if Y is larger, the output should be "File Y is larger". If the files are exactly the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: julia_21436
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting txt file into CSV using awk or sed

Hello folks I have a txt file of information about journal articles from different fields. I need to convert this information into a format that is easier for computers to manipulate for some research that I'm doing on how articles are cited. The file has some header information and then details... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, sed, shell all words in INPUT.txt find in column1 of TABLE.txt and replce with column2 in

Hi dears i have text file like this: INPUT.txt 001_1_173 j nuh ]az 001_1_174 j ]esma. nuh ]/.xori . . . and have another text like this TABLE.txt j j nuh word1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh scripting SSH to Compare File Sizes

Hello, I currently have very little experience with Shell scripting and trying to create a script for the purpose of collecting the size of a couple sizes on 4 different Hosts. The Idea is to collected the information from the files in which the script is kicked off on, store the values into... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abstract3000
17 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. If the sleep command receives a signal, it takes the standard action. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The SIGALRM signal is not handled specially by this implementation. The sleep command will accept and honor a non-integer number of specified seconds (with a '.' character as a decimal point). This is a non- portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for x number seconds later (with csh(1)): (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait a half hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with the csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (`ls *.rawdata`) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A sleep command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 18, 1994 BSD