Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Do I need a pool before I can mirror my disks? Post 302556345 by bartus11 on Sunday 18th of September 2011 06:16:42 AM
Old 09-18-2011
If rpool is the only zpool on your system, then all the local files are mirrored as well. As for the meta* commands, they are used for administering old Solaris Volume Manager technology. If you are using ZFS then you can ignore those commands.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sync mirror disks

Does anyone know how to force these rogue logical volumes to mirror to there respective disks? DISK:Logical Volumes 03:cw_p05,cw_p01_01,cw_p01_02,lv00 09:cw_p05,cw_p01_01,cw_p01_02 04:cw_p01_phyldbs,cw_p01_03,cw_op01_01,cw_od01 10:cw_p01_phyldbs,cw_p01_03,cw_op01_01 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Server - 2 disks - How to mirror

I hope I am posting in the correct forum. I have a server - which I am installing solaris 9 on. The server currently has 2 disks. I wish to run solaris 9 on one, and use the other as a mirror for the first one. ie. If the first one should ever fail, then I can swap to the mirror and just... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
18 Replies

3. Solaris

ZFS Mirror versus Hardware Mirror

I've looked a little but haven't found a solid answer, assuming there is one. What's better, hardware mirroring or ZFS mirroring? Common practice for us was to use the raid controllers on the Sun x86 servers. Now we've been using ZFS mirroring since U6. Any performance difference? Any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lespaul20
3 Replies

4. Infrastructure Monitoring

zfs - migrate from pool to pool

Here are the details. cnjr-opennms>root$ zfs list NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT openpool 20.6G 46.3G 35.5K /openpool openpool/ROOT 15.4G 46.3G 18K legacy openpool/ROOT/rds 15.4G 46.3G 15.3G / openpool/ROOT/rds/var 102M ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
3 Replies

5. Solaris

What is mirror and sub mirror in RAID -1 SVM

Hi , I am new to SVM .when i try to learn RAID 1 , first they are creating two RAID 0 strips through metainit d51 1 1 c0t0d0s2 metainit d52 1 1 c1t0d0s2 In the next step metainit d50 -m d51 d50: Mirror is setup next step is metaattach d50 d52 d50 : submirror d52 is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
7 Replies

6. Solaris

ZFS - list of disks used in a pool

Hi guys, We had created a pool as follows: zpool create filing_pool raidz c1t2d0 c1t3d0 ........ Due to some requirement, we need to destroy the pool and re-create another one. We wish to know now which disks have been included in the filing_pool, how do we list the disks used to create... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frum
2 Replies

7. Solaris

not able to use pool

i have this pool1 on my sun4u sparc machine bash-3.00# zpool get all pool1 NAME PROPERTY VALUE SOURCE pool1 size 292G - pool1 used 76.5K - pool1 available 292G - pool1 capacity 0% -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sojourner
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to detach root mirror pool?

I have to do patching in single user mode in solaris 10 zfs root pool. Before that I have to detach the root mirror pool so that if patching fails then I can boot from detached root mirror pool. Please let me know how can I detach root pool bash-3.2# zpool status pool: rpool state: ONLINE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hb00
5 Replies
vxdiskadd(1M)															     vxdiskadd(1M)

NAME
vxdiskadd - add one or more disks for use with Veritas Volume Manager SYNOPSIS
vxdiskadd disk_address_pattern_list DESCRIPTION
The vxdiskadd utility configures disks for use by Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM). Disks must already have been formatted. vxdiskadd prompts the user for a disk group name and disk name for the disks. If no disk group name specified, the disks will be left as unassigned replacement disks for future use. A new disk group may be created that will become the disks' disk group. If a disk group is specified for the disks, the user is prompted for whether the disks should be designated as spares for the disk group. For new disks, all space on the disk becomes free space in the disk's disk group. vxdiskadd interactively allows initialization to be done for all the disks specified or allows the user to ask to make the decision for each disk individually. One or more disks may be specified with a disk_address_pattern_list. The basic form of a disk address is c#t#d#. Any leading portion of this address may be specified to indicate that all disks that match that leading portion should be used. For example c2t0 may be used to specify all disks on controller 2, target 0. More than one disk address or address pattern may be specified on the command line. In case of enclosure-based names, the disk address will be of the form enclosurename_diskno. The enclosurename indicates that all disks in the specified enclosure are used. For example, emc1_ is used to specify all disks in the enclosure emc1. The word all may be used to specify all disks on the system. Disk address names relate directly to device node names in the /dev/dmp and /dev/rdmp directories. Here are more examples: all: all disks c3 c4t2: all disks on controller 3 and controller 4, target 2 c3t4d2: a single disk (in the c#t#d# naming scheme) xyz_0 : a single disk (in the enclosure based naming scheme) xyz_ : all disks on the enclosure whose name is xyz The files /etc/vx/cntrls.exclude, /etc/vx/disks.exclude and /etc/vx/enclr.exclude may be used to exclude controllers or disks from use by vxdiskadd. Each line of cntrls.exclude specifies the address of a controller to exclude, for example, c2. Each line of disks.exclude spec- ifies a disk to exclude, for example, c0t3d0. Each line of enclr.exclude specifies the name of an enclosure to exclude, for example, enc0. All courses of action that do not involve clear failure conditions require prompts from the user, with defaults supplied as appropriate. Help is made available at every prompt. Entering ? in response to a prompt displays a context-sensitive help message. OPERATIONS
Reconnecting a drive that was temporarily inaccessible This situation is detected automatically by noting that the specified drive has a disk ID that matches a disk media record with no currently associated physical disk. After reconnection, any stale plexes referring the disk are reattached, and any stopped volumes referring the disk are restarted. This reattach action is performed by calling the vxrecover utility. Initialization of a disk with reserved regions Initialization of the disk is performed by calling vxdisksetup. Adding a disk to an existing disk group This operation can be performed independently of the initialization of the disk drive. The operation adds the disk to the group so that its storage is added to the free space pool in that disk group. The vxassist utility can subsequently allocate from that free space. Creation of new disk groups in which to import a new disk If disks are added that are required to be put into a disk group that does not exist, the option of creating the disk group is offered. Hardware-Specific Note Some environments provide guidelines to optimize VxVM's interaction with intelligent storage systems. If these guidelines are present, VxVM follows the guidelines when adding disks to disk groups. If the operation fails due to these guideline(s), you are prompted to use the force option. The force option ignores any such storage-specific guidelines. FILES
/etc/vx/cntrls.exclude Specifies the address of controllers to exclude from vxdiskadd operations. /etc/vx/disks.exclude Specifies the address of disks to exclude from vxdiskadd operations. /etc/vx/enclr.exclude Specifies the address of enclosures to exclude from vxdiskadd operations. NOTES
EFI disks cannot be added to a disk group that is compatible with the Cross-platform Data Sharing (CDS) feature, nor can they be formatted as CDS disks. SEE ALSO
vxassist(1M), vxdisk(1M), vxdiskadm(1M), vxdisksetup(1M), vxintro(1M), vxrecover(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxdiskadd(1M)