Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Open the file and edit/append the text Post 302555687 by greenworld123 on Thursday 15th of September 2011 10:32:20 AM
Old 09-15-2011
Open the file and edit/append the text

Hi i have a file like this

Code:
mailboxnum 20
filename <to subsitute>
fileloaction /home/dd234/
filetype txt

in a directory i have set of files for ex:

TT45.1.2
TT45.1.3
TT45.1.4

in for loop i have to take this files and subsitute one by one

ex:
Code:
for i in `ls TT*`
do
<open the file>
<subsitute the filename value>
will some process based on the records in the file(executables pick the file and do some process)
done

Help me on this

---------- Post updated at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:10 AM ----------

i searched he thread but didn't find clues ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit and insert character in a text file

Hello All, Can somebody please help me how to accomplish the following : I have a text file called data.txt that has the following information : M|88494-998494 M|98jd#0094 M|88394-994049 M|GFG9980#009944 and so on... I need to replace the value of M to either "S" or "X"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: negixx
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to append text into a file.

I have a command stream that will parse down an ftp DIR listing of a remote directory and return the name of the newest file that I am interested in. The command is sed -e '/^d/d' sppay.listing |sed -n -e '/SPPAY/p'|sort -r -k 43M,45 -k 47,48 -k 50,54|sed -n -e '1p'|cut -c 56-99 and what it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit other than the first and last record of a text file

Hello, I have to add the string "YES" to the end of all records of files in a dir other than the first(header) and the last(trailer) record. viz, the first and the last record in a file has to be identified and exempted from the edit. I tried an awk script. But there seems to be no direct... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogersed
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit this text file

hi, i need to remove the first column (and dash) from this text file. Is there any unix command allowing me to do it ? 1-16 2-28 3-16 4-20 5- 8 6-32 7-19 8-16 9-27 10- 7 11-14 12-18 thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to append text from one file into another

Hello all. I was wondering if it possible to write a bash script that would do the following: I perform molecular modelling calculations and the output files are all text files with various different extensions. For example, I submit the input file "job_name.inp" and when it is done or the... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcozd
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get awk to edit in place and join all lines in text file

Hi, I lack the utter fundamentals on how to craft an awk script. I have hundreds of text files that were mangled by .doc format so all the lines are broken up so I need to join all of the lines of text into a single line. Normally I use vim command "ggVGJ" to join all lines but with so many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n00ti
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit first line of a text file

Hi friends, Issue1: I have a text file with the first line like this #chrom start end Readcount_A Normalized_Readcount_A ReadcountB Normalized_Readcount_B Fc_A_vs_B pvalue_A_vs_B FDR_A_vs_B Fc_B_vs_A pvalue_B_vs_A FDR_B_vs_A <a href="http://unix.com/">Link</a> How can I change it to the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to edit a text file

hi, could someone share a short script that would process a .txt file and do the following, for example the text file has this form 0:1.0 1:1.0 2:2.0 3:3.0 4:4.0 5:5.0 6:6.0 7:7.0 8:8.0 ... {newline} 9:9.0 10:10.0 11:11.0 12:12.0 13:13.0 14:14.0 15:15.0 16:16.0 17:17.0 ... {newline} and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_lady
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a text file?

i have to append a text file grep for a word, if found, put comment in starting of the line. here is an example cat test.sh bin/ksh Hello World Test Message :wq! search for "bin" word in test.sh file if found comment it out at starting of the line: Output as follows: #bin/ksh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open and edit a file using a shell script

Hello Folks, I have a file named as date.dat present at /tmp/abc location which has following data - 20161030,20161031,20161101 I need to remove this line and replace it with something like below - $param1,$param2,$param3 Param1, Param2 and param3 stores the date based on some calculation in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
1 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)