Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with generating a script Post 302555460 by ahamed101 on Wednesday 14th of September 2011 08:24:43 PM
Old 09-14-2011
I think there is some issue with file type

Code:
#your original file showed this and a normal grep SOX was not working on this
root@bt:/tmp# file file1.txt 
file1.txt: Little-endian UTF-16 Unicode text, with very long lines, with CRLF line terminators

#then I opened it in gedit and saved it once again with Character Encoding as "Current Locale UTF-8" and then it started working.
root@bt:/tmp# gedit file1.txt 
root@bt:/tmp# file file1.txt 
file1.txt: ASCII text, with very long lines, with CRLF line terminators

file2.txt has just one single line??

--ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Script for generating a report

Hi all, I have a log file of the below format. 20081016:000042 asdflasjdf asljfljs asdflasjf safjl 20081016:000229 /lask/ajlsdf/askdfjsa 20081016:000229 /lashflas /askdfaslj hsfhsahf 20081016:000304 lasflasj ashfashd 20081016:000304 lajfasdf ashfashdfhs I need to generate a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.naidu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating millions of record using shell script

Hi All, My requirement is like this. I want to generate records of 1 million lines. If I say lines it means one line will contain some string or numbers like AA,3,4,45,+223424234,Tets,Ghdj,+33434,345453434,........................ upto length lets say 41. ( 41 comma sepearted aplha numneric... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahil2k9
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A shell script or software for generating random passwords

Hi, Is there an shell script/batch file to genarate random passwords which expires after a stipulated time period? Please suggest a software which does this for AIX and windows both else. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with script generating files in directory recursively

I have a script which generates recursively some files in folders for a given root folder. I have checks for permissions and it works for all folders except one(i have 777 permission on it). When i try calling the script in problematic folder(problematic folder being root folder), script works as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help generating a script for next-generation sequencing data

I am not sure if this is entirely possible, but I want to compare data in a particular column in several .txt files and have a new file generated. I am a biologist with limited unix knowledge. There are currently no programs written for this type of analysis. First I would like to define the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kellywilliams
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting date/time and generating offsets in bash script

Hi all, I need a script to do some date/time conversion. It should take as an input a particular time. It should then generates a series of offsets, in both hour:minute form and number of milliseconds elapsed. For 03:00, for example, it should give back 04:02:07 (3727000ms*) 05:04:14... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emdan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

auto-generating assembly code by variables found by script

Hi everybody I'm working on a list of registers(flip-flops to be exact), now i need to extract some value from this list and use them as arguments to pass them to some assembly code for example i have: 118 chain79 MASTER (FF-LE) FFFF 1975829 /TCK F FD1TQHVTT1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ahem Prime number Generating Script

Can anybody tell me why the second part of this script (Sieve of Eratosthenes) isn't working properly. This isnt coursework or homework just private studies ( Yes Project Euler began it ) I know there are easier ways of doing this too but I want to do it this way.:p Iam using Cygwin on Vista... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewann
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random number generating script?

Having a hard time with this. Very new to scripting and linux. Spent all sunday trying to do this. Appreciate some help and maybe help breaking down what the syntax does. Create a Bash program. It should have the following properties • Creates a secret number between 1 and 100 i. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LINUXnoob15
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to handle commas inside the data when generating a csv file from shell script?

I am extracting data via sql query and some of the data has commas. Output File must be csv and I cannot update the data in the db (as it is used by other application). Example table FavoriteThings Person VARCHAR2(25), Favorite VARCHAR2(100) Sample Data Greta rain drop on... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patk625
12 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbh ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If file1 (file2) is `-', the standard input is used. If file1 (file2) is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 (file1) is used. The normal output contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. In connection with -e, the following shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. Option -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. Options -e and -f are unavailable with -h. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/lib/diffh for -h SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. DIFF(1)