Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Appending 2 files skipping the header of the second file Post 302555389 by Corona688 on Wednesday 14th of September 2011 03:29:58 PM
Old 09-14-2011
If the header is 5 lines:
Code:
( cat file1 ; tail -n +6 file2 ) >> file3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed skipping the last line in a file

Hello All, I have a file like this: PART A1 PART A2 % PART B1 PART B2 The last line in the file (PART B2) does not end with a new line. i.e <EOF> immediately follows "PART B2". Here is my problem: I want to print everything after '%'. So, I tried: sed '1,/%/ d' . This works... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aghoras
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare EDI files by skipping selected Segments

Hi, I wanted to compare EDI files present in Two different Directories which can be related by the file names. While comparing the EDI files i have to skip selected segments such as "ISA" "IEA" and "GS" "GE" since this may have datetime stamp and different "Sender" "Receiver" Qual. and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivas
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all others

Friends, I need help with the following in UNIX. Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all other files. FYI - All files are in same format and contains same headers. Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiny_Roy
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Appending a files contents to the end of a specific file name in several directories

Here is my dir structure: /tmp/dave/myappend.txt /tmp/dave/dir1/test.txt /tmp/dave/dir2/test.txt /tmp/dave/dir3/test.txt /tmp/dave/dir4/test.txt I want to append the contents of myappend.txt to the end of each file with the name "test.txt" in all dirs in /tmp/dave/ I have tried this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigd213
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move only folders and skipping files

How do I move all folders and its contents from a directory A to another directory B, skipping all files in Directory A ? ---------- Post updated at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:42 PM ---------- Ok. Got it. mv /A/*/ /B/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DHeisenberg
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp & skipping exiting files

// Redhat I am running a cron with cp every 15 minutes. cp /p2/arch/log/* /p2/bkp What I need is to not to copy the file again if the filename already exists under /p2/bkp The reason is that the file size under /p2/arch/log/ will be reduced (contents truncated), so I need to keep the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match in awk skipping header rows

I am trying to match $1-$7 between the two files and if a match is found then the contents of $8 in file2 and copied over. The awk I tried is below. There is also a header row in file2 that has the Chr Start End Ref Alt that does not need to be searched. Thank you :). awk awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying multiple files and appending time stamp before file extension

Hi, I have multiple files that read: Asa.txt Bad.txt Gnu.txt And I want to rename them using awk to Asa_ddmmyytt.txt and so on ... If there is a single command or more efficient executable please share! Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Renaming files by appending string from within file to filename

Greetings. I am working in a Linux environment and am trying to figure out a way to rename files in a directory by appending a unique strings that appears within a certain area in those files. I have gotten as far as identifying what that particular unique string is with a command like the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-beflnstuv] [-] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command line order. A single dash represents the standard input, and may appear multiple times in the file list. The word ``concatenate'' is just a verbose synonym for ``catenate''. The options are as follows: -b Implies the -n option but doesn't number blank lines. -e Implies the -v option, and displays a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line as well. -f Only attempt to display regular files. -l Set an exclusive advisory lock on the standard output file descriptor. This lock is set using fcntl(2) with the F_SETLKW command. If the output file is already locked, cat will block until the lock is acquired. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Implies the -v option, and displays tab characters as '^I' as well. -u The -u option guarantees that the output is unbuffered. -v Displays non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ascii characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), hexdump(1), lpr(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1), view(1), vis(1), fcntl(2) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is expected to conform to the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-belnstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! This is performed by the shell before cat is run. BSD
September 23, 2006 BSD