Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Beginner Need Help on perl input Post 302555333 by guidely on Wednesday 14th of September 2011 12:31:45 PM
Old 09-14-2011
Beginner Need Help on perl input

Hi, I am beginner perl input I just want to know if I want to make a program that let user input a function such as input " < value " List all files that are less than value The current directory is used. eg input " < 5" list all file that less than 5 in current directory until user input "quit"

how can I get sperate value from < in user input

so here my code for user input two sperate input in once line

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

print " Welcome to advance search function";

$func = "";

while (( $func ne "quit\n" ) && ( $func2 = "exit\n" ))
{
    print " Enter advance search function :";
    $func = <STDIN>; $func2 = <STDIN>;

}
print " return to main menu \n";

Thank

Last edited by pludi; 09-14-2011 at 07:36 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting input from perl

Hi, i have just tried something in perl #!/path/to/perl print "login: "; $login = <STDIN>; print "\npassword: "; $password = <STDIN>; print "Username=$login\n"; print "Password=$password\n"; And it doesnt work, anyone know how i can get more than one line? Cheers, Elfyn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emcb
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Silent Input

I would like to use the WWW::Mechanize module to access a webpage that is password-protected. I was wondering if there was a way to make the input silent when asked from the script. For example: What is your password: <password> Where <password> is where you put your password, but is silent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eightysix
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner for Perl

Hi, I'm new in Perl. Can anyone recommend me any e-book which is good for beginners? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raul15791
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

(Beginner) Run c++ .exe with input to file

Hi, I've got this requirement for my homework assignment, but I'm not sure how to meet it: In the comamnd line, I need to type $ <exec-file> <input> <output_file_name> Like: test 1+2 out.txt Which should execute test.exe passing in 1+2 and directing output to out.txt. I know how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JustinT
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - pass shell-vars into perl for input loop

I need to process a file line-by-line using some value from a shell variable Something like:perl -p -e 's/$shell_srch/$shell_replace/g' input.txt I can't make the '-s' work in the '-p' or '-n' input loop (or couldn't find a syntaxis.) I have searched and found... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Perl help Please

Hi I am trying to generate random names using perl script. First let me post my code #!/usr/bin/perl my $name; my @charset = (('A'..'Z'), ('a'..'z')); my $range = $#charset + 1; print "Enter the limit\n"; $lim = <STDIN>; until ($lim == 0){ for (1..8) { $name .=... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srijith
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input - Perl need Help

If I want all user input to start with " : " if not display error or what I asking is how to do if statement that control a first letter of string that we want to start with. and not worry about the rest Thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

user input in perl?

Please tell me how to write a perl script that asks the user to enter words and that passes them to a variable. In bash, the "read" command would achieve such user interaction. #!/bin/bash read -p "Enter files: " vFiles However, I am looking for perl version of something equivalent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

silent Input in PERL

Hello Experts, I am learning perl. I know ksh/bash/csh... In ksh I use to do this way... to read user input in silent mode so that nothing returns on the screen. stty -echo read -r pswd stty echo Please let me know the way in perl how to do it. Here are my OS and Perl Details... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: explorer007
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in parsing an input in perl

I am executing a command it is returning me something like this name ip port ------------------------------------ http-listener-1 * 6712 http-listener-2 * 8709 I have a subroutine getListenerName($porttobeChecked) This subroutine returns me the name of the listener if i pass a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: javaholics
4 Replies
POD2USAGE(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      POD2USAGE(1)

NAME
pod2usage - print usage messages from embedded pod docs in files SYNOPSIS
pod2usage [-help] [-man] [-exitexitval] [-outputoutfile] [-verbose level] [-pathlist dirlist] [-formatter module] [-utf8] file OPTIONS AND ARGUMENTS
-help Print a brief help message and exit. -man Print this command's manual page and exit. -exit exitval The exit status value to return. -output outfile The output file to print to. If the special names "-" or ">&1" or ">&STDOUT" are used then standard output is used. If ">&2" or ">&STDERR" is used then standard error is used. -verbose level The desired level of verbosity to use: 1 : print SYNOPSIS only 2 : print SYNOPSIS sections and any OPTIONS/ARGUMENTS sections 3 : print the entire manpage (similar to running pod2text) -pathlist dirlist Specifies one or more directories to search for the input file if it was not supplied with an absolute path. Each directory path in the given list should be separated by a ':' on Unix (';' on MSWin32 and DOS). -formatter module Which text formatter to use. Default is Pod::Text, or for very old Perl versions Pod::PlainText. An alternative would be e.g. Pod::Text::Termcap. -utf8 This option assumes that the formatter (see above) understands the option "utf8". It turns on generation of utf8 output. file The pathname of a file containing pod documentation to be output in usage message format (defaults to standard input). DESCRIPTION
pod2usage will read the given input file looking for pod documentation and will print the corresponding usage message. If no input file is specified then standard input is read. pod2usage invokes the pod2usage() function in the Pod::Usage module. Please see "pod2usage()" in Pod::Usage. SEE ALSO
Pod::Usage, pod2text(1) AUTHOR
Please report bugs using <http://rt.cpan.org>. Brad Appleton <bradapp@enteract.com> Based on code for pod2text(1) written by Tom Christiansen <tchrist@mox.perl.com> perl v5.26.1 2018-07-18 POD2USAGE(1)